Menu

Lefties... what do you prefer?

Lefty Preference  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer for note taking, math work, etc.?

• Looseleaf paper, put into a binder afterward
    • Composition Notebook
    • Spiral Notebook
    • Other

It depends on the application, and the specifics of the product itself.

For disposable list making (for example, grocery lists), I prefer notepads. They give me a nice cushion under the page I'm writing on, no wire to hurt my hand, and easy disposal of used pages with no mess.

For lists I need to write and keep, I generally prefer spiral notebooks--but ONLY if they're nice and full, so the spiral doesn't stick up much--if it's roughly level with the paper, it doesn't hurt my hand, but if it's too big, or if it becomes too big because I've torn pages out, it hurts my hand. So I don't tear pages out of spiral notebooks anymore. And I like nicer ones, with thicker, plastic-coated wire, rather than the cheap, thin metal wire. I probably would prefer notepads, but for some reason I don't like spiral notepads, and nonspiral ones have perforations along the top that make the pages come out too easily, and for long term use, the pages that have been folded back stay pouffed up and wrinkled, which annoys me. My daily calendar is a spiral notebook, and to mark where I am, I tear off just the top corner of the page, but not the whole page, and I always wrap it all the way around before I try to write on it--I don't lay it out open/flat and write on it, at least not on the right side of it. It has a section for grocery lists, but I don't tear them out--I take my whole calendar with me to the supermarket, mark horizontal lines through items as I place them in my cart, then make vertical lines through the whole list when I'm done so I can see it's been done and move on to the next spot for my new list. (I would prefer small notepads for grocery lists, but I always seem to use those up ...)

I like the idea of composition books, but I find that I have a hard time keeping them flat enough, and I don't like that I can't fold it back and keep it open to a certain page like I can with a spiral notebook.

I use three ring binders for things that I print off. I leave it in the binder while using it if it's a checklist, but take pages out if I have to do extensive writing on them.

I prefer loose leaf.  BUT I use spirals mostly.  I've taught myself how to hold my arm and tilt the spiral notebook so my arm or hand isn't on the spiral.  

I don't like composition notebooks because they don't lay flat.

I also use notepads a lot.

Guest inoubliable

Steno pads and legal pads. 

Spiral notebooks don't bother me much. I write with my paper almost turned upside down when I have to use something like that. Being left handed was a pain in the butt when I was in school unless I had a left handed teacher who understood. So glad all of my kids are righties.

Spiral, every time.

Composition notebooks won't lay open flat. Loose paper gets lost and tears out of binders; and binders are bulky and annoying.

I just flip the spiral notebook over and use it from back to front, so the spiral lies on the right side instead of the left. One year, the girls gave me a set of notebooks for which they'd made pretty 'covers' so the fronts of my notebooks wouldn't be plain brown.