Menu

Resource for Learning Japanese

My 11 year old has decided she wants to learn Japanese.  I'm looking for a resource to help her with this.

We've used Rosetta Stone before (for Spanish) but I was not happy with it, not to mention it nearly broke the bank.

Can anyone recommend a resource for someone to begin studying the language, preferably that won't cost an arm and a leg?

we started with Irasshai and found it a good beginning to gauge interest. It doesn't move quickly, however. In fact, the more I read about Japanese language learning, it seems many people end up using multiple resources if they want to really learn the language. Irasshai gets you going on the basics though. 

A friend of mine just went through this discussion with her son.  He wanted to learn Japanese.  The advice given to her was to make sure she really, really wants to learn Japanese.  It needs to be more than wanting to learn a few phrases to sound cool when discussing anime or something.  Japanese is a very difficult language to learn.  In the end, I think they decided to stick with Spanish after looking through curriculum and seeing what was required.