Menu

Otterbox covers for phones...

mlktwins

Hi all!  I need to get a case for my Samsung Galaxy S5 (I'm coming from a dumb phone I've had for the past 3 years -- LOL).  I'm leaning towards the Otterbox Defender Series because it comes with the screen protector built in.  What do you use for your phone?  Any thoughts on Otterbox?  Other suggestions?

Thanks much!

Hi all!  I need to get a case for my Samsung Galaxy S5 (I'm coming from a dumb phone I've had for the past 3 years -- LOL).  I'm leaning towards the Otterbox Defender Series because it comes with the screen protector built in.  What do you use for your phone?  Any thoughts on Otterbox?  Other suggestions?

Thanks much!

I use one.  So far, so good. 

The silicone on my Defender broke within a few months. The screen protector developed moisture spots, and even with the volume all the way up I had trouble hearing the people I was on the phone with (and they me). The plastic on the Commuter I purchased and the replacement they sent me cracked within two months each tIme (NOT from being dropped).

The cheapie case my dd bought me at her university bookstore has lasted much longer.

I have the purple and light blue Defender for an S4.  I really like it.  The screen protector absolutely helps to keep the screen from getting scratched and keep miscellaneous drops of liquids off. It does have a hole in case in the front (at the top over the speaker ) so spilled liquids can get in pretty easy.  There is also a hole in the screen protector where the main button is. 

The outside is rubberized. The inner part is hard plastic, with the plastic screen protector attached to that part.  It take the entire case off about once a month to clean it and it still goes back together just as good as the beginning.  The outside rubber part is still snug and hasn't stretched at all. 

There is a little flap that covers the plug ports so it helps to keep dust/liquids out of the ports. The only down side, is that  you pretty much need two hands free to plug in a power cord (only a big deal if my phone is dying while I am driving). 

I have dropped it so many times and my phone is still going strong. 

I have had mine for about a year and use my phone All the Time. I am always on the run and toss my phone in my purse.  My phone doesn't just sit on a shelf in my home.  The case is showing wear on the corners and looks a bit roughed up.  BUT....I know that all the abuse this case has taken, would have been wear and tear on my actual phone without it.   

When I ordered mine, there were not as many color options available, so I have thought about seeing if I could order a new rubber part, just to freshen it up (and change the color)  without having to buy a whole new case. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.   :)

I use alcohol prep wipes to clean my phone (I work in pharmacy so I am exposed to a lot of nasty germs).  If I get too close to the opening in the screen, it will get a bit of moisture under it.  If I do that, I use pop the case off and clean it, then put it back together.

I spilled a cup of coffee on to the face of my phone once, to the extent that there was a puddle of coffee on my phone.  I popped off the case, and only found a couple of drops had made it all the way to the phone.  I wiped the phone off, washed my case and put it all back to gether in less that 5 minutes.  There was zero damage and I doubt I could say that if I didn't have a screen protector keeping most of the liquid off the phone.

No one in my family is allowed to have a device withOUT an Otterbox Defender.  It has saved many drops around here.  When we foolishly got comfortable and took the case off, disaster happened.  I just had 2 new Defenders show up via Amazon this week.

My dh has an Otterbox Defender for his S4, and while it certainly keeps the phone safe, I'm not a fan.  It's quite bulky, it makes the side buttons extremely hard to push, and no matter how well he cleans everything before he puts it on, he always ends up with a film under the screen protector.  He needs it because he works as a saw operator at a manufacturing plant and needs to protect his phone from flying aluminum chips, but for most people I think it's overkill.  I just have a Speck case on my S4 and one of those stick on screen protectors, and it still looks like new.  

I have the otterbox defender for my phone as hubby got in on sale at Staples. I don't like the flap for charging as I charge the phone daily. We also have problem with the apple headset not fitting well into the iphone when using the case so my boy couldn't hear any thing because of the loose connection.

I've had the same Otterbox Defender for my 4S for almost 18 months with nary a problem. I charge it daily. I have never gotten any moisture under the screen protector (it gets smudgy from my fingers but that wipes off easily).

We bought dd19 a Defender for her 4S and dh got one for his new 5.

They are big cases, but we aren't phone-in-pants-pocket people.

I love my Otterbox except that it has totally stretched out as a few other people have mentioned and it is really starting to bother me to the point that I'll be looking for a new one soon. I got it for Christmas and so it's only been 7 months? Gah.

I dislike Otterbox because dust and dirt get behind the screen protector, and you continually have to remove the case and wash it!

I much prefer a stick-on screen protector and any other hard case.

We just ripped the screen protector out and use a stick-on.

I have a CaseMate Phantom and I LOVE it. It's a little slimmer than the otterbox and not loose plastic. It's super sturdy and has done a great job of protecting my phone from high drops onto concrete.

ETA - is has the plug flaps like an otterbox - but solid. They took over 2 years for the charge flap to break off (with daily use).

I use a Spigen Slim Armor case for my Note 3.  It's gorgeous and minimalistic and incredibly sturdy.  The plug openings are perfect (no goofy flaps to mess with) and the button covers work out surprisingly well too - I was expecting them to be clumsy and interfere with my button presses, but nope!  Love it!

I also use their screen protector, which is fantastic, imo.  I use the GLAS.t whereas my husband uses the GLAS.tr because he's a bit harder on his phone and keeps it in his pocket.

I used to have an Otterbox defender. I still have it but use a high capacity batter on my galaxy S3 so it doesn't fit. The case is great. The screen protector not so much. I just removed it straight away and use a different type. The rubber bit that cover the charger and headphone holes break off after a bit.

OP here.

So...I'm not sure how the LIKES work, but I used them to say thanks for your responses LOL. I have been researching phone cases for a week and I decided to go ahead and try the Otterbox Defender. Hubby is going to wait to see how I like mine before he orders one for himself. Thanks for taking the time to respond!!!

We just got the otterbox defender for DD20's Galaxy S5. So far it has survived falling out a moving car window and being sat on as well as being vacumned. Looks nice and doesn't make the phone too big. Slides nicely into a purse or jacket pocket.

DD20 managed to BREAK the defender case that she had on her old iPhone by stepping on it with a high heeled shoe. Phone was fine, plastic case fractured. Just to say - the Defender isn't shoe-proof.

My sons both have the same phone and use a slim-line case. They are both much kinder too their electronics than DD20!

Another reason not to get otterbox is that everyone else also has an otterbox.

Ballistic is another good (better) case than otterbox.

Agree with this.  I have used Ballistic for years and they outlasted more than one of dh's Otterboxes.