Menu

Faithmanor Car Accident

There are good used cars & vans that incorporate more modern safety features that are very reasonably priced. I think this is one area where people like Dave Ramsey fail in their financial advice. Buying old beaters may avoid debt, but it may also be unsafe (depending, of course, on the make, model, & year of the vehicle). "Good ol' Detroit steel" killed more people because of the secondary & tertiary collisions that occur. [A secondary collision is when your body hits something external - seatbelt, steering wheel, dash, etc. A tertiary collision is where your organs slam into your musculature, cranium, spinal column, etc. The primary collision is what your car hit.]

DH's antipathy towards debt came from his first job out of college working in the mortgage department of a bank and seeing the financial disasters many people got themselves into by taking on more debt than they could reasonably handle. He has OCD and anxiety tendencies though that make him take worries to sometimes unhealthy extremes.

I'll have to look into vehicle safety. I know some minivans have great ratings, in fact I know his brother just bought a brand new minivan instead of even a recent model used (they have always bought used in the past) because he felt the added safety features of the new model were worth the extra cost. BIL is an emergency room physician, so I'm sure he has good cause to be concerned about safety. Of course he also has more money, which never hurts... Maybe I can get him to talk to dh though.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so sorry to hear about this and so glad to see you back on the boards today. I just wanted to send my love and plan on having a long look at this thread and a talk with my 22 year old about getting some work done on our cars (late '70s and late '80s models) to make them safer.

Faith, it was too hard to put a "like" on that post.  How life can change in an instant.  The lesson is so clear - NEVER text and drive!  I wish that other mother had learned it in an easier way and I feel for you and your family being the innocent party in all of this.   :grouphug:

But I am glad you both are alive (her too) and have tons of local and family support.  May healing and recovery go well.  My heart and prayers are with all of you.

:iagree: Amen to that!

Your costs are likely to be much more than you'd think. She has the $1mill policy for just this kind of thing, and there's nothing wrong, unChristian, or sinful with making her use it. You're not doing it out of malice, but out of a very real need that she created.

This deserves repeating.  I am Christian also and totally abhor frivolous, money-grabbing lawsuits.  There is nothing wrong in making sure your family does not pay any further for her negligence.

As soon as my pain levels go down, I need to redo our plans for C‘s senior year. His PT is going to be daily and it will wear him out. He is not going to be able to handle the rigor that was planned.

Can your son take a year off to recuperate and start senior year next fall? My university allowed me to take a year off for medical reasons without impacting my GPA.

DH's antipathy towards debt came from his first job out of college working in the mortgage department of a bank and seeing the financial disasters many people got themselves into by taking on more debt than they could reasonably handle. He has OCD and anxiety tendencies though that make him take worries to sometimes unhealthy extremes.

I'll have to look into vehicle safety. I know some minivans have great ratings, in fact I know his brother just bought a brand new minivan instead of even a recent model used (they have always bought used in the past) because he felt the added safety features of the new model were worth the extra cost. BIL is an emergency room physician, so I'm sure he has good cause to be concerned about safety. Of course he also has more money, which never hurts... Maybe I can get him to talk to dh though.

For a humorous and effective way of looking into crash test ratings watch Top Gear season 2 episode 7. They show what damage is "acceptable" at each level. DH and I were shocked. In no way can a 3 ever be acceptable to drive in. And yet, they're out there.