Menu

Faithmanor Car Accident

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest submarines

Texting and driving?  WHY?  In this day and age where that has been proven over and over to be the most dangerous thing to do in a car, WHY does any remotely sane person continue to do it?   :cursing:   I will never understand that mindset.

And it severely disrupts and/or destroys others lives.

My heart and prayers go out to Faith + her son and their family.  Please keep us updated.

My massive anger goes out to the idiot who was texting while driving.

And yet so many otherwise reasonable people still text and drive. :cursing: Or feel they can "safely" glance at their phone to check who called. :banghead:

Speedy recovery to Faith and her son.

Continuing to pray for your recovery. Lots of fluids, healthy, high iron foods, and protein for tissue repair. Make sure you are resting and allowing others to do what needs to be done: cleaning, cooking, etc, etc. You will recover more quickly if you are strict about focusing on your healing.   

May you and your son heal quickly.   :grouphug:

How's the young mother?  I'm still livid that she was texting and driving and caused all of this by her stupid behavior, but... she's a young mother.  I'm hoping for the best for her family's sake - and I'm hoping she can, perhaps, stop others from texting while driving by this way too real example.

More hugs that you had to be part of the "way too real" example though.   :grouphug:  And definite prayers that recovery is full.

I would do what I had to do to take care of my child if I did not have the money (and that includes litigation).  We have been in several car accidents where the other driver was at fault, and we were nice, and it affected our finances for years.  Dh says never again.  If someone else is at fault, he should be responsible.  I would find a good attorney and get advice.

It's not gold digging and it doesn't mean you aren't Christlike as it has nothing to do with forgiveness.  It has everything to do with being able to meet your son's needs - for his lifetime.

It is EXACTLY what insurance is meant for - all of us who pay in do so knowing we might need it at some point.  We're thankful if we don't, but shouldn't be ashamed to go that route if we do.

Personally, I would NOT settle for 100K at this point.  I'd be checking with someone far more experienced in these matters about actual costs, etc, and going accordingly.  That could easily be an accident lawyer.  Yes they get a cut, but so does anyone else when you use their service and expertise.

Gold-digging is when someone isn't really hurt, but claims they are and wants money for that hangnail.  This is NOT your situation.  You need to take care of your son and the system is set up for you to be able to do so.

He'll have to let his body (and the doctors/therapists) work on the healing.  You need to have the means to provide any/all extras he needs.

Luv ya and thinking about you both a ton...  :grouphug:

Personally, I would NOT settle for 100K at this point.  I'd be checking with someone far more experienced in these matters about actual costs, etc, and going accordingly.  That could easily be an accident lawyer.  Yes they get a cut, but so does anyone else when you use their service and expertise.

This. You don't know what struggles your ds is going to face. It's better to be on the safe side financially. The other driver's insurance company is on the hook. They did their actuarial studies, and if they did them right, they expect to pay out the $1 million. That's their business. They know that if their insured driver is at fault and causes a serious injury, they'll be out their money. They've taken that into account when they set their premiums. You'll need a good lawyer with accident experience to deal with them because part of their cost management is giving you the run around (like your insurance company trying to force you to drive an hour to get a blood test--they're hoping you'll just give up and not get it or pay out of pocket).

I hope you're all feeling better soon.

Getting your son what he needs is not gold digging.  The other thing to keep in mind is in most states you have quite a bit of time to think about this.  In our state it is 1 year from the date of the accident.  The insurance company might try to rush you, but if your current needs are met wait a little while and see how your son's recovery goes, and give yourself time to calm down and recover.  There is no rush to make decisions.

Hmm, can I say that I like hearing your "fight" has returned?   ;)

I'd absolutely sign on with the lawyer as soon as possible.

And I'm sorry you need to fight...  There's nothing I've heard about US health insurance that has ever made me think it is a good idea.  I wish we could all go with a different system.  Everyone needs the ability to have health care.  No one needs the fight.

But since you have to, I'm in your corner cheerleading (and wishing I could do more).

Lawyer up, definitely, but realize that your medical expenses AND a percentage of any settlement you get for the lawyer are deducted from what you and your son end up with.  The hospital and doctors and/or your medical insurer can demand reimbursement from your settlement.  Not all do, but some do.  I was in a bad collision once, and the lawyer was great and WEP but he took 40%, and Kaiser demanded reimbursement for their lousy PT at very high rates (Blue Cross did not, and they actually had good PT people).  So we ended up with far less than half of the settlement money in the end.

PS:  DO NOT SETTLE YET.  You don't know the extent of your or your son's injuries or needs.  Don't settle until you are all better or at worst permanently stable.  Once you settle, if something else pops up there is nothing you can do about it.

The young mother in serious condition is not paying out of her pocket. Either way her insurance record is dinked and your sueing her will not make it worse.

Hire a lawyer and look into long term settlement. Full recovery can take many years and is so hard to estimate.

Someone we know had to sue his wife for insurance claims so that has nothing to do with personal ethics but how insurance wants to play the game.

Sometimes trusting God means taking the opportunities he puts in front of you. People don't lay around all day waiting for Him to put food on the table, they go to the job that He gave them so they can put food on the table. The insurance is there for a reason. Take the full amount.

Faith…the hospital should have a social worker on staff which may be able to help you.

Re: the docs, they might not be full time on staff at the hospital.  Check and see (google) if they have a main office elsewhere.  Any physician should be able to sign off on equipment you need.  Getting the hospital social worker to help may make this happen faster.

Keep those receipts. 

The lawyer will want them.

Also, have you talked with the agent that sold you your car insurance?  He might be able to give you some pointers about how best to deal with the claims people.  Be VERY careful not to overtalk, though--remember who he works for.  Anything you tell him you are telling the insurance company.

:iagree:  All of this could have been prevented by a basic common sense rule:  NEVER text and drive.

It doesn't have to be texting…it can be people who get a call, and look down at their phone to see who called.  Ideally, there should be some sort of sensor in cars that when you enter, it disables phones or something except for an emergency (ideally only the driver's phone).  It's way too easy for people to be distracted.  

It doesn't have to be texting…it can be people who get a call, and look down at their phone to see who called.  Ideally, there should be some sort of sensor in cars that when you enter, it disables phones or something except for an emergency (ideally only the driver's phone).  It's way too easy for people to be distracted.  

:iagree:  100%