Menu

Another question about nursing school

Heatherwith4

My plan for post-homeschooling is nursing school. Obviously, since my youngest is 4, that could change. My hope is that when she moves to more independent work, I can start taking pre-reqs, and then begin actual nursing school after she's graduated.

My question is, knowing what my plans are, what would you do to prepare? I have an associate degree in business, but none of that stuff will transfer. That's the extent of my formal post-secondary education. TIA!

For sure, make sure you're up to speed on your high school math, biology, and chemistry.

If your biology and chemistry are weak, A + P is going to be tremendously challenging.

If your math is weak, unit conversions/dosage calculations are going to be challenging.

I assume you already took math for your business degree, but if it's been a while, working on refreshing that knowledge would be good.

I would get a list of the requirements from the college you are planning on attending. I attended a technical college that had a waiting list to get into the core classes, but there were many items that needed to be done before you could even be put onto the list (which was a 2 year wait.) That included getting your CNA, CPR, hep. B immunizations, and take entrance exams to show competency in certain areas (math, reading, chemistry.) Those who didn't pass the competencies had to take remedial (no credit) classes in those areas. All this before getting on the list. Depends on the college - you need to talk to a guidance counselor to make sure there are no surprises and extra wait time (months or years.) Of course there are those pre-req's to work on too, which are a good idea since taking them along with core classes is quite a load!

If you can volunteer or job shadow anywhere, absolutely do that.  I'm not a nurse but a physical therapist turned SAHM.  My program required a good number of observation hrs before we could apply.  I also think it is very valuable to consider shadowing or talking over lunch with other medical personnel.  Even if those jobs don't appeal to you, it will prepare you for the roles they play on medical teams, and you may find something less known than nursing that is a good niche for you (edited to add that that doesn't mean nursing isn't a great choice, I just mean many people don't know as much about some of the allied health fields, for example, and they sometimes appeal more, sometimes less).  PT or PTA, OT or COTA, SLP, med tech, what have you.  I also encourage the young people I know who are interested  in healthcare to observe in as many settings as possible.  Day to day job duties in different settings vary SO much.  Outpatient, hospitals, rehabs, mental health clinics, pediatrics...there are so many areas of practice.  I really think it is tremendously valuable.  Understand how hrs vary in different settings, the physical demands of different settings, the emotional demands of different settings, documentation, billing, etc. in different settings.  Talk to people in the field as much as you can, offer to pay for lunch, see if you can work in some observation and volunteer work.

So you're looking at starting nursing school approximately 14 years from now? I wouldn't do anything to prepare now, honestly. It's going to be difficult to plan that far in advance. Even starting prerequisites in a few years... if you take them too long before nursing school, they may not accept some of them. Or the prerequisites may change. Or the school you're planning for may close, or a better option open.

The two things I can think of that would be truly helpful at this point are volunteering (or get a CNA license and work) in different contexts to get an idea of what you enjoy (and whether you enjoy it at all), and becoming fluent in a foreign language that is common where you live. Both will be helpful professionally, and may be points in your favor if you're trying to enroll in a competitive program.

Beyond that - look at nursing programs in your area and see what the prerequisites are. Also see if there are prerequisites to the prerequisites (the biology classes may require an intro biology and/or intro chemistry class) or general ed requirements that you still need to fulfill. That should give you an idea of when you need to start more seriously looking into this.

Be forewarned that science pre-reqs often need to be done within 5 years of when you would matriculate. I looked into direct-entry M.S.N. programs recently and I would've had to re-do all the science courses since the ones I did back in college are now too old. Some of the programs were willing to accept high (700+) current GRE subject test scores as validation of the old coursework, but I'm not sure whether they'd let you test out if you hadn't already taken the courses.

Yes, agree with Crimson Wife.  I looked into one year post-baccalaureate programs and I had to repeat science courses, plus take one year of Anatomy & Physiology, one semester of microbiology, and one semester of sociology/psych.

I have an associate's in Medical Lab Technology and currently work at the community college where I got my degree. I work in a learning center that focuses on the allied health and RN students taking their chemistry and biology (A&P and micro) courses, so my suggestions come from that point of view.

Start looking at degree plans. At my community college, several humanities courses are required which don't have a time limit. The science courses do have a time limit.

I recommend Medical Terminology before you start A&P. Use a workbook so you get lots of practice, like this one. I bought a new copy of the old edition for about half price when the new version came out. I wouldn't buy used unless you are sure it hasn't been written in. You'll want the workbook to go through the body systems (skeletal, respiratory, etc.) and that will give you a good introduction to anatomy. Many of the A&P students I tutor are learning the vocabulary, the anatomy (the parts), and physiology (how the parts function) all at the same time. Med Term can get you a head start.

You will want to have the basics of chemistry before A&P. The A&P textbooks that I've seen always start with chemistry after the intro chapter, and  many students get bogged down there.

Before chemistry you will want to brush up on your math skills. You will need to be proficient in manipulating algebraic equations. If you are weak in math, you can use Khan Academy. I started at the top of the knowledge map and worked the modules as they were presented. You can start at the top or wherever seems best to you. You'll need algebra for chemistry, but statistics is very useful in the medical field.

You might want to try some of the free online courses in math, chemistry, and biology to get some background. You have lots of time (I'm thinking 12+ years); you may be able to learn enough to test out of some of the courses.

Best wishes.