Menu

Grown sibling woes Update my brother unhinged

Scarlett

Scarlett--

:grouphug:

Your brother has a diagnosed, serious mental illness.

He is off his meds.

The rules for most people do not apply here. There is a strong likelihood that he is delusional and/or hallucinating. 

He is armed.

This is very, very dangerous.

From your distance, you do not have an effective way to evaluate the danger. Even if you lived next door, you are not equipped to evaluate the danger because you are not a doctor or a psychiatrist.

I understand your fear. I experienced this fear dealing with mentally ill people in my life, and I have experienced it on the few occasions I have had to call DCFS for child abuse. 

The bottom line, however, is that your mentally ill brother is off his meds, armed, and targeting people. Please report this.

I'm sorry--really and truly sorry.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 5

That is just the thing though. He is targeting no one. He has not made one single threat.

I talks to my mom, my dad, my husband....and we have all decided to do nothing based upon our knowledge of him.

I came here because I needed perspective as to whether he is texting crazy stuff....I think I got 100% agreement that he is mentally ill. So thank you for that......:)

That is just the thing though. He is targeting no one. He has not made one single threat.

I talks to my mom, my dad, my husband....and we have all decided to do nothing based upon our knowledge of him.

I came here because I needed perspective as to whether he is texting crazy stuff....I think I got 100% agreement that he is mentally ill. So thank you for that......:)

You know your brother better than anyone else, Scarlett, so I trust that you are making the right decision. I also completely trust that you care enough about other people that if you think your brother is becoming an actual threat to anyone, you will not hesitate to put your personal feelings about your brother aside and notify the authorities at that time.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, and I am especially sorry that your poor brother is suffering from mental illness. I hope you can find a way to encourage him to start taking his medications again so he can start to feel better. It sounds like the poor guy is in a bad place right now, and that while his wife thinks she is being supportive of him, she is actually hurting him by not insisting he get help. Will he listen to your mom if she asks him about his meds?

• Like 2

You know your brother better than anyone else, Scarlett, so I trust that you are making the right decision. I also completely trust that you care enough about other people that if you think your brother is becoming an actual threat to anyone, you will not hesitate to put your personal feelings about your brother aside and notify the authorities at that time.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, and I am especially sorry that your poor brother is suffering from mental illness. I hope you can find a way to encourage him to start taking his medications again so he can start to feel better. It sounds like the poor guy is in a bad place right now, and that while his wife thinks she is being supportive of him, she is actually hurting him by not insisting he get help. Will he listen to your mom if she asks him about his meds?

No because he is too hung up and fixated on our religion.  I got another long text this morning about how it destroyed our family.  My poor mom...she called me this morning and we talked about him some and she began to cry.  I just can't bring this up to her any more.  It is just killing her.  She knows it is not her fault, and that there is NOTHING she can do but she is just devastated by the venom he spews.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So tonight I get these screen shots from db. Beautiful sky with a white dot in it which he says is suspicious bcause it is in a no fly zone near the encampment which he alludes to being an Isis training camp.

I ask him a few pointed questions...who is"we"? How do you know this?

Things like that. He is not forthcoming. Very weird acting.

So tonight I get these screen shots from db. Beautiful sky with a white dot in it which he says is suspicious bcause it is in a no fly zone near the encampment which he alludes to being an Isis training camp.

One of his paranoid friends using a drone to check out the 'encampment'?

• Like 2

Yes. They tried to get a helicopter to take them up but no one would,claiming it is a no fly zone.

I am thinking they know my brother and his friends are crazy.

I was wondering why it would be a no fly zone - probably a charter pilot's excuse to your brother. But there are lights because it's NOT a no fly zone.

• Like 3

Yes. They tried to get a helicopter to take them up but no one would,claiming it is a no fly zone.

I am thinking they know my brother and his friends are crazy.

I agree. If they told the pilot why they wanted to charter the helicopter, he probably didn't want to get involved. I don't blame him!

• Like 2

My best friend lives in this small town and her husband is a pilot. He flies out of that airport ALL the time.....the area my brother is talking about is sooo close I don't know how a pilot would avoid it in that area.

It's probably a no-fly zone for helicopters and small planes because it is so close to the airport.  They don't want anything else in the way of planes landing and taking off, so there is a perimeter off-limits to other aircraft (like news choppers.)

• Like 3

My best friend lives in this small town and her husband is a pilot. He flies out of that airport ALL the time.....the area my brother is talking about is sooo close I don't know how a pilot would avoid it in that area.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I called my sibling last week (our twice-a-year call), and thankfully nothing of note there. But I though of you because I know how it is to have a sibling that you're worried about. Mine never married and is more of a recluse, but I still worry...

He sent me a pic of a tree in the forest. It has a couple of odd man made marks on it. To my brother it is proof of something BIG.....I contacted my BIL who works for the Forest Department and although this isn't his area he gave me a hint and a 5 minute Google search tells me it is part of efforts to save/monitor an endangered bird. Right down to the area my brother is talking about.

• Like 1

He sent me a pic of a tree in the forest. It has a couple of odd man made marks on it. To my brother it is proof of something BIG.....I contacted my BIL who works for the Forest Department and although this isn't his area he gave me a hint and a 5 minute Google search tells me it is part of efforts to save/monitor an endangered bird. Right down to the area my brother is talking about.

Did you tell your brother about it yet?

Oh Scarlet, I am so sorry that you feel compelled to chase down his imaginary rabbit trails. Nothing you could possibly say to him is going to increase his hold on reality.

Praying he gets medical help soon.

I don't feel compelled. I feel curious.

When we were kids we would see a pool of blood on the high way. No unusual at all..lots of roadkill. There was a time when I was 13 or 14 that kids started saying if there was blood in the road with no drag marks or body it meant satanic worshippers were in the area. Kids are dumb. And dramatic. Never mind that predators or scavengers easily pick up dead animals and walk off into the woods. A quick question to our parents would have solved the mystery. Or spoiled the mystery.

That is what this feels like. He could easily find out what these marked up trees mean. But he is so convinced the government is involved in something sinister he won't ask questions like a normal human.

If he is using a drone, it might be worth mentioning that it is now federal law that all drones must be registered with the FAA.

I wonder if law enforcement could give a courtesy call about that?

I don't think he is using a drone, I think he and his equally paranoid buddies are wondering around national forest land in the area where they have heard there is a terrorist training camp.

I absolutely would. Even if he thinks it's all part of a big conspiracy, maybe one of his friends will be smarter about it. What would be the point of not telling him?

Because nothing is going to convince him. My BIL said, "you know the endangered bird story is just a cover for the conspiracy story, right?" He and I LOL......but my brother won't be amused.

I absolutely would. Even if he thinks it's all part of a big conspiracy, maybe one of his friends will be smarter about it. What would be the point of not telling him?

I'm not sure if I think Scarlett telling her brother is a good idea or not.  But it definitely could be a bad thing.  Scarlett could move from a trusted loved-one that needs protection to being on his conspiracy list & when someone is unhinged, that could be dangerous.  Or if not dangerous, more worrisome for Scarlett because then she'd be totally out of the loop and worry more about her brother.  Just my thoughts, though.  I'm not sure if Scarlett is afraid of that.

• Like 1

Because nothing is going to convince him. My BIL said, "you know the endangered bird story is just a cover for the conspiracy story, right?" He and I LOL......but my brother won't be amused.

I still think he deserves to be told the truth. You got the info from someone who works for the forestry department, not some sort of Army general or something.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I think Scarlett telling her brother is a good idea or not. But it definitely could be a bad thing. Scarlett could move from a trusted loved-one that needs protection to being on his conspiracy list & when someone is unhinged, that could be dangerous. Or if not dangerous, more worrisome for Scarlett because then she'd be totally out of the loop and worry more about her brother. Just my thoughts, though. I'm not sure if Scarlett is afraid of that.

I'm thinking she could phrase it as having been concerned about the markings, too, so she started researching to find out what they might mean. She could make it like she was trying to help, not trying to prove him wrong.

• Like 1

I'm thinking she could phrase it as having been concerned about the markings, too, so she started researching to find out what they might mean. She could make it like she was trying to help, not trying to prove him wrong.

Yes, that is possible.  I just think it's too rational to work on someone already so unhinged.

• Like 2

Yes, that is possible. I just think it's too rational to work on someone already so unhinged.

You're probably right.

I was just thinking that if he and his friends do something stupid based on this "evidence," and something bad happens, Scarlett will always wonder if she should have told him. He might listen to his own sister, and even if he doesn't believe her, he will probably think she was just trying to help.

I feel like he trusts her, so she should be honest with him about the markings. If he chooses not to believe her, that's out of her control, but let's say the situation was reversed and he didn't tell Scarlett something important because he was afraid she wouldn't believe him -- like if years ago he knew what a weasel Scarlett's ex-dh was, but didn't tell her -- she might not have wanted to believe him at the time, but he would have still been doing the right thing by giving her the information.

I mean, I know it's different because Scarlett is rational and her brother isn't, but I keep coming back to the trust issue, and the idea that she should be honest with her brother about the markings in case he or his friends might believe her. I could be way off-base about this, though.

You're probably right.

I was just thinking that if he and his friends do something stupid based on this "evidence," and something bad happens, Scarlett will always wonder if she should have told him. He might listen to his own sister, and even if he doesn't believe her, he will probably think she was just trying to help.

I feel like he trusts her, so she should be honest with him about the markings. If he chooses not to believe her, that's out of her control, but let's say the situation was reversed and he didn't tell Scarlett something important because he was afraid she wouldn't believe him -- like if years ago he knew what a weasel Scarlett's ex-dh was, but didn't tell her -- she might not have wanted to believe him at the time, but he would have still been doing the right thing by giving her the information.

I mean, I know it's different because Scarlett is rational and her brother isn't, but I keep coming back to the trust issue, and the idea that she should be honest with her brother about the markings in case he or his friends might believe her. I could be way off-base about this, though.

Well I told him. He said oh cool we have some neat birds here. I sent him the link to the article complete with pics just like what he sent me. I asked him if he read the article.....not yet. He has to go with his friend to town.

I don't think he or his friends are going to do anything to anyone. I just think he is a mentally ill man with too much time on his hands.

• Like 2

Well I told him. He said oh cool we have some neat birds here. I sent him the link to the article complete with pics just like what he sent me. I asked him if he read the article.....not yet. He has to go with his friend to town.

I don't think he or his friends are going to do anything to anyone. I just think he is a mentally ill man with too much time on his hands.

I'm glad you told him.

• Like 1

So this morning brother texts my mom for the first time in 2 months. She asks him if he saw that her house is for sale.....yes he has seen the ads etc.....he asked her if they were going to build....she said no we moving over to be near Scarlett....in case we need help in the future. He says "yeah because no one here would do that for you."

Total sarcasm of course....she let it pass.....

I feel bad for him.....but he has created this mess.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Chances are, when you were ten, you were not noticing how clean his clothes were or otherwise. And he is four years difference. You asked YOUR friends what things were like, not his. Perhaps you were the golden child and he was a black sheep. Or, maybe he is delusional. Can't say.

• Like 1