Menu

Just read WTM... I'm sold!!!

Hello everyone. I just finished reading WTM and I loved it!! So much of it made sense to me and came together. I read a few other books on learning/teaching styles and nearly nodded off while reading them. Not this time!!! I couldn't put it down!! It answered so many of my questions and I am slowly gaining confidence in my ability to educate my kids.

We did a very relaxed kindy year in which the only formal work was learning to read and some single digit addition, subtraction, money, and telling time to the half hour. So this year we will be adding in quite a bit of what I've learned from the WTM. I've ordered WWE and SOTW Vol1. Also, I have collected free spelling lists and teaching ideas from the web. I have Math Mammoth and Mr. Q Classical Life Science.

So happy I found this method before we started 1st grade. Looking at my previous curriculum list, its a mess!! Nothing is cohesive and it lacks a purpose. (not to mention more expensive!!)

Looking forward to everyones ideas and wisdom here!!

If you're doing SOTW [CLARIFICATION: THIS APPLIES TO SOTW 1:ANCIENTS. NOT SOTW 2-4.]with a 5-8 year old remember this, it's pretty chronological so you bounce from people group to people group a lot. Younger children don't have as strong a sense of differences in people groups. If you or your child finds this disorienting or frustrating in any way, don't panic.  That doesn't necessarily mean SOTW isn't right for you; try grouping the readings by region (Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, China, India, Egypt, the Americas, etc.)  and do the readings for one region chronologically then choose another region and do those readings chronologically.  

A simple timeline activity can be helpful if you want to emphasize the passage time and demonstrate to your child who are contemporaries of each historical figure and events around the world. If they still don't get it, it's OK.  That's developmentally normal.

If you haven't looked at the Activity Books for each SOTW book, look into them now.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=story%20of%20the%20wrold%20activity%20books    You don't have to use them to have a great education for your kids, but they're so incredibly helpful to so many people that you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Welcome! This board is an amazing resource for parent-educators; there's so much wisdom and experience here. Be sure to post in the K-8 education section for questions about your educational choices...and in the Chat section for feedback on issues that have (often) nothing to do with schooling at all.  :001_smile:

SWB

Welcome! This board is an amazing resource for parent-educators; there's so much wisdom and experience here. Be sure to post in the K-8 education section for questions about your educational choices...and in the Chat section for feedback on issues that have (often) nothing to do with schooling at all.  :001_smile:

SWB

Thanks for your welcome! You have already helped me so much and I am looking forward to this homeschool journey with great enthusiasm!

Welcome! I'm new here too.  My husband and I both finished the book and felt the same way.  We couldn't put it down, and I'm so excited to learn.  I posted over in the K-8 board, and they were so very helpful in guiding me with my questions.  I am been feeling overwhelmed and confused.  Those responses really helped clear things up.  I am so grateful already for a place to come to and learn from others on this journey.  I'm already so very excited about this next school year!