Menu

Favorite US history readalouds for each time period?

amyc78

If you could only pick one, what is your favorite readaloud (fiction or nonfiction) for each of the following time periods in US history? We have a spine but I'd like to add 1 readaloud to each topic. Kids are 5 and 8...

Vikings

Early Native Americans / Explorers / Christopher Columbus

Early Settlers / Pilgrims / Colonial Times

Founding Fathers / American Revolution

Westward Expansion

Civil War

Immigration

World Wars and Depression

Civil Rights and Modern Age

Guest Kathy Weitz

I love the D'Aulaire books for this age! They are engaging and have the most gorgeous pictures. Here's the list we used at our local classical co-op last year for American Culture.

Leif the Lucky, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Columbus, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Pocahontas, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Benjamin Franklin, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

George Washington, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Abraham Lincoln (Bicentennial Edition), Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Buffalo Bill, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims (Scholastic Biography)

Pilgrim Stories, Margaret Pumphrey

The Pilgrims of Plimoth, Marcia Sewall

The Matchlock Gun, by Walter Dumaux Edmonds

The Courage of Sarah Noble, Alice Dalgliesh

The Fourth of July Story, Alice Dalgliesh

George Washington's Breakfast, Jean Fritz

Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin, Marguerite Henry

Blessings on your school planning! Enjoy those sweet little ones.

Kathy

Are you reading picture books during school time as well? Or, will the read-alouds be the only texts, except for your spine?

If it's the latter, I'd go with a D'Aulaire when you can.

PS - You may wish to check out Beautiful Feet's reading list, if you looking for bare minimums or trying to keep it simple.

http://bfbooks.com/Early-American-History-Primary-Jumbo-Pack

Another good list...

http://www.bookshark.com/third-grade/reading-with-history/third-grade-reading-with-history-regular

Thank you so much! I've seen so many great lists- BF, Sonlight, etc and I was just having trouble narrowing it down! We will do other Readalouds and storybooks not related to history; my oldest will have some independent history reading to do but I wanted to include some really engaging books to make our history spine come alive, especially stuff the 5 year old will be interested in. I've ordered several of the D'Aulaires and the Dalgliesh, so glad to see those names.

I love the D'Aulaire books for this age! They are engaging and have the most gorgeous pictures. Here's the list we used at our local classical co-op last year for American Culture.

Leif the Lucky, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Columbus, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Pocahontas, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Benjamin Franklin, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

George Washington, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Abraham Lincoln (Bicentennial Edition), Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Buffalo Bill, Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims (Scholastic Biography)

Pilgrim Stories, Margaret Pumphrey

The Pilgrims of Plimoth, Marcia Sewall

The Matchlock Gun, by Walter Dumaux Edmonds

The Courage of Sarah Noble, Alice Dalgliesh

The Fourth of July Story, Alice Dalgliesh

George Washington's Breakfast, Jean Fritz

Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin, Marguerite Henry

Blessings on your school planning! Enjoy those sweet little ones.

Kathy

That's the Beautiful Feet book list for American history exactly.

Early Native Americans / Explorers / Christopher Columbus: Coyote Columbus. It's a picture book I absolutely adore.

Early Settlers / Pilgrims / Colonial Times: The Pickpocket's Tale. I'm a sucker for any book that takes place in NYC, even if it isn't quite NYC yet.

Founding Fathers / American Revolution: Jefferson's Sons

Westward Expansion: The Birchbark House, because let me tell you, I had pioneers up to my teeth as a kid.

Civil War:

Immigration: All-of-a-Kind Family (because it takes place in NYC), Dragonwings (because there really aren't many books about the Asian-American experience)

Depression: Bud, Not Buddy (might be a bit much... the companion novel might be better here), Strawberry Hill (not much about the Depression, per se, but less potential to be, um, depressing)

WWII: Dash by Kirby Larson (I have the advance reader copy, not sure if it's out yet), From Anna (technically Canadian, but if you don't dwell on it they won't notice)

Civil Rights and Modern Age: One Crazy Summer (might be a bit old for them this year)

Guest Kathy Weitz

That's the Beautiful Feet book list for American history exactly.

You are right - and the teachers of that age group did use the Beautiful Feet Guides for classroom ideas. It's a lovely curriculum guide for younger students.

I think I probably used this, or most of this, with all six of my kids when they were little. I still have the notebooks my older two boys (now age 27) made. They are priceless. Highly recommend that you do those if you use BF!

Guest elowyn

What spine are you using, if I may ask?  

I'm working on American History for my kindergartners for this fall, and am still undecided on a spine.  Love the readaloud suggestions!

What spine are you using, if I may ask?

I'm working on American History for my kindergartners for this fall, and am still undecided on a spine. Love the readaloud suggestions!

Really my 'spine' is a loose monthly schedule of major eras from pre-1500 to present (i.e., August= Vikings and Early Americans; September = Columbus, Early Settlers, Native Anericans; October = Colonial Times and Revolutionary War; and so on). The books I am using for my spine are a combo of:

The Story of Us from my fathers world

Smithsonian American History encyclopedia

CC Timeline and history cards

My oldest is doing the online VP Explorers-1815 and I really want to add the audio Hakim books but that might be overkill?

Early Native Americans / Explorers / Christopher Columbus: Children of the Longhouse

Early Settlers / Pilgrims / Colonial Times: honestly there are no fiction read aloud books I really love for this period...  maybe do A Lion to Guard Us?  Short and easy...  there are some really great nonfiction books though, especially about Jamestown

Founding Fathers / American Revolution: Ben and Me

Westward Expansion: By the Great Horn Spoon or maybe...  The Great Brain...  there are so many possibilities for this era though...  Obviously you could do the Little House books...

Civil War: The Absolutely True Adventures of Homer P. Figg or maybe Bull Run, though Homer Figg is massively more fun

Immigration: Letters from Rifka or maybe...  Our Only May Amelia

World Wars and Depression: A Long Way from Chicago or maybe... Penny from Heaven (I also love Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, but save it for older ages)...  Obviously WWII is important, but most of the best WWII books aren't US history focused, IMO

Civil Rights and Modern Age: One Crazy Summer (though we are in the middle of Revolution right now and it's soooo good, but maybe save for older...  Lions of Little Rock is also great)