Menu

What to expect for punch biopsy tomorrow?

BlueTaelon

Went to the Dr today for my ER follow up and asked about a thing on my hand that ive had about 2 years that itches, sometimes hurts and changes color/shape on a regular basis. He scheduled me for a punch biopsy tomorrow afternoon. I know they will inject numbing stuff then cut it out but will it be painful? I know dd8 had a biopsy when she was 3 and she swore it hurt badly even though she was numb but lidocane doesnt work that well on her. Oh, they said I may or may not have a stitch.

Advice from someone whose btdt?

The injection to numb the area will hurt a bit, sort of like a bee sting but a much shorter duration (like a few seconds).  The biopsy itself shouldn't hurt at all.  It may feel a bit sore after the anesthetic wears off, but it won't be too bad.

I have had a few, and they were not bad at all. The one on my neck hurt a bit, because I had to turn my head to drive, and that pulled on the stitch, but it went away after a few days. Even if you have to go back and have more removed, it is not a big deal. I was terrified, but it did not hurt.

I've had 30+, sadly.

Usually the lidocaine doesn't hurt…but it really depends on the skill of the PA/RN who administers it.

So, you get numbed….then the doctor comes in…does the biopsy…then usually one or two stitches and a band-aid.  You should not feel anything other than perhaps pressure.

You'll be given aftercare instructions…and will return in about 10 days to get the stitches removed (which doesn't hurt).

Some areas are more annoying as they heal than others.

I've had punch removals on my back. Not nearly as many nerve endings as just a mole removal in my palm.

Follow aftercare instructions. I don't look when they do the shot or removal.

I've developed an allergy to neosporin, so I just use Vaseline to keep the wound moist while it heals.

You'll do fine.

I agree with everyone else so far.

The only other thing I would mention is to make sure you eat before and pack a juice box and some crackers. I never feel pain with the procedure but I have a tendency to be nervous and my blood pressure drops, which makes me feel woozy. The nurse at my last one said it happens often. The juice and crackers help a lot.