Menu

S/O checked numbers in RightStart

plmzk

I just read the other thread about checked numbers.

We have been doing rightstart for two years now (done A and B  ) and about to start C. I skipped over the intro to checked numbers in B, was that  wrong? How important is this to know down the road in rightstart? In other math curriculum? I have never been taught this, which is why i skipped it. We're thinking of switching to Singapore later, will this be an issue if I don't cover checked numbers? Please someone explain it to me. 

I acutally don't remeber anything about checked numbers in B and if there was it must not of been covered as extensively in D.  If you skipped it in B and then went on to D I think you would be fine.  Do you remeber what lesson covered it in B.  Wouldn't mind going back and rereading.  It is totally throwing us through the loop in D.   First time I have actually considered switching from rightstart has been when we hit checked numbers.  I do feel like we have to do them in D from what I read in order to keep going.  We did skip the drawing in C and never had an issue.  A number of peopel said they skipped that portion and where fine.

Wow,  I feel a bit dumb right now :blushing:  :leaving: .

Should have had my coffee first this morning, then come here.....

cagirlintexas:

You are correct, checked numbers are NOT taught in B. I just flipped through the lessons.

It's in the games book. What happened was a few weeks ago we were doing math games to review, I was flipping through the addition games and came to the game with checked numbers. I was just so confused. Just as I was this morning. :huh: :laugh:  I figured that since we are in B, and are doing the addition games, therefore we need to learn checked numbers. :scared:

Needless to say, we never played that game with the checked numbers.

When we hit checked numbers, I called my dh at work to as him if we really needed to teach dd(now 14) this. He has taken higher level maths, but he had never heard of them either. We skipped them, worked all the way through Level E, and dd did not have any troubles transitioning to CLE math. I definitely wouldn't drop RS over this, but it's okay to skip that part of the program.

That's comforting to know. At first I was going to skip them but then read posts and people said you should go ahead so we did. We have been skipping the drawing stuff so didn't want to skip to much. I think I might give it one more try since I think I get it now. We will see. Ordered my son beast academy to play around with this summer too but really did want to stick with right start through e since it has given him such a good foundation. As long as he is focusing he really does get it.

I was wondering if we even need to learn/know this. To me, it seems like it's not something that is used IRL. I don't know if they are used in upper math though.

Ya I doubt you use it in upper level math because my husband who got a bachelors in math had never heard of it. Although he did find it interesting and loves the way RightStart is teaching our son.

That's comforting to know. At first I was going to skip them but then read posts and people said you should go ahead so we did. We have been skipping the drawing stuff so didn't want to skip to much. I think I might give it one more try since I think I get it now. We will see. Ordered my son beast academy to play around with this summer too but really did want to stick with right start through e since it has given him such a good foundation. As long as he is focusing he really does get it.

We skipped the drawing stuff, too.   :D I am still glad we worked through everything else.

Just have to say I think check numbers are cool. (Algebra II finals flunkie here, so I'm a late math bloomer.). UPC codes on everything we buy are actually set up as check numbers. And it's an easy way to check multi-digit problems and it's more math practice. ;)