Menu

Anyone using HOD Dakota this year?

michaeljenn

My 4th grader is finishing up the last 8 weeks of Preparing and then we will move onto CTC.  I will also be using LHTH with my 4yo.  I'm not using HOD for my 1st grader.  I plan to start him in Bigger next year.  I'm sure I will probably regret not using HOD with him this year.  

We use it loosely.  My 6th grader is using just the history from CTC, and I've scheduled our LA lessons etc. based on the guide.  I've used HOD as a "guide" for much of our homeschooling.  My 1st and 4th graders are using books from the earlier guides as well.

We really enjoyed the Preparing books!

My soon-to-be 13yods will be finishing up the last five weeks of Res to Ref then begin Rev to Rev.

My 10 yods is at about week 12 in Creation to Christ then will jump into Res to Ref.

My 9 yods is on week 29 of Bigger and then will jump into Preparing.

My 6yods is on about week 15 or so of Little Hearts For His Glory . . . not sure we'll finish this guide or jump to something else for a while though he will eventually be back in HOD either beginning in Bigger or Preparing.

I love the HOD guides here but am particularly fond of Preparing on up.

My 4th grader is finishing up Bigger and may do more matching POAG units that line up time period wise. But then we are moving to Preparing. Although Preparing is a jump in skills, and  our 2 week trial was tiring out my dd and I, we both loved the content and notebooking. HOD activities are hit and miss with us no matter which level we have used, but over all we give it 2 thumbs up.

Jan, I would die!

:)  You made me laugh!!  Thank You!  Most of the time it works out o.k. because of the independence in the older guides plus we tweak it a bit here and there to make some things more independent.  Carrie might be alarmed if she saw how I run the guides - LOL!

I am so happy to see others using HOD as well!  I am hoping I will love it when we start it as much at I have loved reading through it myself!  

And Jan... I would die too!! I have 6 kiddo's, but my older two have graduated and one is at a Christian School!  This will probably be the easiest year ever of homeschooling for me!!  My younger three are 10, 8, and 4!  :)  I have dreamed about this moment!

We are :D!  My 13 year old is using MtMM, and my 11 year old is using RTR.  I am also using LHTH with my 4.5 and 3 year old.  I absolutely love HOD, and this is going to be an amazing year.  We started this past week, and my kids love it too.  The books and projects are amazing, and I love my children will be doing art appreciation, nature journaling/drawing, poetry study, and lots more!

Does anyone use DITHOR and the book packs with HOD?  I am using the 4/5 book pack for Preparing, but have not decided if I will add on DITHOR yet.  I am using the ER's with my 7yo with the supplemental titles as well.

I am using it with my 9th grader, but haven't really with the others yet.  I'm just not sure I can swing it yet and don't really want to start if I can't follow through.  I'd LOVE to do it with all of them, but I'm just not sure yet how!    :001_unsure:

We are using Preparing for 4th, Beyond for 2nd and I try to get in LHTH with my PreK in but we added a new baby to the mix so we will see how that goes :)

Does anyone use DITHOR and the book packs with HOD? I am using the 4/5 book pack for Preparing, but have not decided if I will add on DITHOR yet. I am using the ER's with my 7yo with the supplemental titles as well.

We are trying to do DITHOR but I have a tendency to not finish each unit. I think if my ds liked reading a variety of literature it would go smoother, he tends to stick to nonfiction so it stretches him.

We probably are. I'm not entirely sure yet, but will have to place an order soon. I'm coming from AO, but felt that my younger ones don't get much schooling at all. I'm so busy figuring out what my oldest should be doing, what kind of mapwork would fit the chapter he's just read and so on. I'll be using Preparing, Beyond and Little Hands and DITHOR (with some AO books)

We are. LHFHG and Bigger.

I'm not sure I'm sticking with LHFHG. I don't think it's worth the money for this age group. I really enjoy the majority of Bigger. My biggest hang up with HOD is the lack of combining. There are other things I'd really like to add but my days are already full. I'm very torn. I want to create my own thing, but at the same time I love HOD!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just started our 3rd year with HOD. I'm glad to see others using it. Before the 3 years we were off and on with it. This year my 11th grade ds will use WH, 9th grade dd WG, 8th ds MtMM, 7th ds Rev2Rev, 6th ds CtC, and 4th ds Preparing. Our official school year doesn't start until Jan. so we are taking it slow right now at least with the 4 younger ones. The two high schoolers are going at normal speed.  Hopefully by Jan. the others will be too.

I'm going to try using DITHOR with my 6th grade son but we'll see. I've tried using it in the past but we only get through a few days. My dd has used one before.

Sorry to jump in late. I haven't been around the WTM boards for a while.

This year my 11th grade ds will use WH, 9th grade dd WG, 8th ds MtMM, 7th ds Rev2Rev, 6th ds CtC, and 4th ds Preparing.

You  AND JAN!!  OH MY GOOODNESSS!  That is a LOT of guides....and books....and guides...and BOOOOKS to juggle!!  :tongue_smilie:  LOL!  Can I just ask you one thing...........WHY!!?? :confused1:  SORRRY..... I just HAD to ask!  LOL :lol:

We are doing Bigger with BOTH of our boys and I planned to keep them in the same guide each year (just tweaking what each of them DO).  I am curious to hear your thoughts about this.  Maybe I won't want to do that???

WOW!  My head is spinnnnning, just thinking about doing what you are doing! :svengo:

My two high school kids do most of their independently. We meet for narrations and discussion of literature and such.

The four younger ones are a bit tougher because they all struggle with reading. For the last 8 months we've scaled back a lot to concentrate on their reading. They are improving but I still read a lot to the, which makes for a long day for mama  :o

The reason I didn't combine is I have a hard time catching them altogether. I know it sounds strange but now that they are older it's not as easy as when they were younger. Some sleep later than others, their interest, one may be doing TT math on the computer and another busy with something.

Another reason I wanted to separate is I love, love, love each and every HOD Guide. I don't want my kiddos missing out. Carrie is just amazingly talented in my book  :thumbup: . I am using the guides as is because it's one of the reasons why I love using HOD, everything is there. The only thing I am not using in some of the guides is the writing. I am using Writing & Rhetoric and/or Essentials in Writing. Ethan is using English Lessons Through Literature.

I know it sounds super crazy and I'm only a week into using 6 guides but as tiring it may seem (and some days I'm doing night school with Lance  :ack2:  I have enjoyed reading all the books. I see even more now how Carrie has tied everything together. Do I want to be so involved every year, not really. I admit it's a lot of work but it's worth it this year. Next year when all the kids move up a guide I'll be more familiar with all the books.

I was only able to blog about two guides Rev2Rev and CtC. Couldn't get to the rest :huh:

You  AND JAN!!  OH MY GOOODNESSS!  That is a LOT of guides....and books....and guides...and BOOOOKS to juggle!!  :tongue_smilie:  LOL!  Can I just ask you one thing...........WHY!!?? :confused1:  SORRRY..... I just HAD to ask!  LOL :lol:

We are doing Bigger with BOTH of our boys and I planned to keep them in the same guide each year (just tweaking what each of them DO).  I am curious to hear your thoughts about this.  Maybe I won't want to do that???

WOW!  My head is spinnnnning, just thinking about doing what you are doing! :svengo:

We started out in separate guides mainly for personality issues between my now 13yods and 10yods.  My 13yods is quiet, shy and a bit slower in school work, my 10yods (soon to be 11) is ahead in all subjects, loud, generally very enthusiastic about EVERYTHING, and picks up on everything very quickly in school.  They are really at the same level in many ways but absolutely cannot work on subjects together because of personality.  My older just retreats when put into any seeming competition with the younger - even just the same curriculum and it doesn't do the younger to think he's such a smarty pants because he's got an ego a mile high :)  

So, these two needed to be separated.  I talked to Carrie about it at a home school conference the very first year I was considering using HOD and even though we would be using back -to-back guides at times, she recommended splitting those two apart for their guides.  My now 9yo was the only other kid in school at the time so it was natural for him to have his own guide (LHFHG at the time) and now I'm just adding kids in as they come along.  I have considered putting my youngest two together but my 6yods is almost half-way through LHFHG so then my youngest daughter would miss out on the first half, unless I start over, and he's really ready to head into Beyond . . . you see where this is going?

There is so much independence built into the guides and we add in more independence earlier as able per child so it really works well for us.

I was able to look at the guide recently and was interested in the lay out.  I don't know that the layout would work well for me, but can see that it might be really great especially if you also used work boxes.  Its an interesting choice to lay it out.  I really liked the Guerber book she chose for Ancient history.

I love the daily spread. I have used other programs that have the whole week lay out but try as I might it was too much on a page and didn't work for me.