Menu

Right Start--First or Second Edition?

momacacia

I have used RS with dd1 all the way, and am several lessons in with dd2. We like the program and it is fairly open and go for me now. I looked at the Second Edition (common core aligned) at conference in the spring and the visual reworking of the page (which is supposed to make it more teacher-friendly) looked a mess to me. I'm sure after 3-6 months (and probably sooner), I'd 'get it,' but I don't want to mess with relearning.

Does anyone know whether there really is any value in buying the Second Edition staring in A or B (my understanding is that you have to switch by Level B or C or the scope will not work out), or is it just as well to stick with the First Edition that I own and take dd2 through that as well. We won't be doing standardized testing with dd2 for many years anyway, and dd1 is too far along for Second Edition to ever catch up with her.

Thoughts? TIA

If I already had version 1 and liked it, I'd stick with it.

I did version 1 level A and am now using Version 2 level B. I prefer the second version because the layout is a smidge more open-and-go for me and the lessons seem more evenly paced. But that's a reason for *me* to do version 2, not for someone to switch from something they like!

I'd stick with the first edition as well. First because it worked here, and second because if they have a delay in their production schedule, you could end up having to switch back to the first edition or wait for the second edition to be finished.

Heather

If I had the 1st already I wouldn't switch, especially if I liked the 1st.  I have the second and so far I love it, but I was buying it this year for the first time to go through with 2 children.  

I looked into the differences a lot... but am still not entirely sure which specific content areas are different.  I got the impression it's mostly a layout/organization thing, and I think there are a few more manipulatives that are used earlier... 

But it's pricey... and if I was all set to go through it with the 1st I definitely wouldn't update.  Especially since you'd have to learn the new format.  

I called and spoke with someone at RS. Sounds like more quizzes and worksheets and word problems earlier on. Sounds nice, but not persuaded its worth the money for us or that dd2 is a worksheet girl (as dd1 clearly was/is). Gonna stick with First Edition especially as I'm pretty sure we'll supplement with BA when dd2 is ready for that (hopefully covering RS and BA at a faster than I've been able to with 1 :-/)

Thank you all!