Menu

Zumdahl Chemistry for honors chemistry or other text

My dd will be taking chemistry at the local public school. From what I've heard, there are no textbooks for the course, and the teachers do not have a good reputation. So, I am wanting to brush up on my own skills, while also choosing a solid text for dd to use to support what is taught. The school works on a block schedule, so this course will be fast paced. I own Chemistry by Zumdahl, 6th ed. copyright 2002. Do you think that this is too old to use? Should I get a more current version or should I go with something like Trivedi, that provides lectures & problems via computer? DD is a very good student, BUT she does not aspire to do anything in a STEM career. Therefore, I'm not looking to have the most rigorous text, but rather one that solidly covers high school chemistry. Thanks for the help.

Jennifer

We used Zumdahl last year and my daughter and I both thought it was excellent. It was her best year yet for science. I learned alongside her and loved it.

That's good to hear.  Which edition of Zumdahl did you use? Did you also purchase the solutions guide or annotated teacher's text? Also, how much of the book did you cover?

That's good to hear. Which edition of Zumdahl did you use? Did you also purchase the solutions guide or annotated teacher's text? Also, how much of the book did you cover?

We used this one http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Chemistry-Edition-Steven-Zumdahl/dp/0618305017/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1405013080&sr=8-9&keywords=zumdahl+introductory+chemistry. The 5th ed., though not for any particular reason. It seems that with texts there is often very little difference between editions.

We has only the text. Answers are in the back. I don't give tests. So it worked well. She would read the chapter, work some problems, and check her answers. I relied some on the syllabus generously shared on this WTMer blog: http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com.

She finished about 4/5ths of the book and wished she had gotten to the rest. We had a bad start with Singapore Chemistry Matters, so by the time we switched we had lost a few months. On the plus side, she hated chem after Chem Matters, and Zumdahl not only cured her, but made her adore chemistry.

Good luck! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

We used this one http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Chemistry-Edition-Steven-Zumdahl/dp/0618305017/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1405013080&sr=8-9&keywords=zumdahl+introductory+chemistry. The 5th ed., though not for any particular reason. It seems that with texts there is often very little difference between editions.

We has only the text. Answers are in the back. I don't give tests. So it worked well. She would read the chapter, work some problems, and check her answers. I relied some on the syllabus generously shared on this WTMer blog: http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com.

She finished about 4/5ths of the book and wished she had gotten to the rest. We had a bad start with Singapore Chemistry Matters, so by the time we switched we had lost a few months. On the plus side, she hated chem after Chem Matters, and Zumdahl not only cured her, but made her adore chemistry.

Good luck! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

The Zumdahl text I own is the blue one that is just called Chemistry. I wish I knew more about the differences between the different names. I am so glad to hear that your dd really enjoyed the text. I like what I've read so far, however I might change the order a bit. In my text, the authors don't discuss the s,d,p, & f orbitals until ch. 7, and even then, it is not discussed in much detail, so I'll be using one of my old college texts to beef that up. Imho, that is fundamental in understanding and using the periodic table. Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Jennifer

Zumdahl is an excellent text.  There is an introduction to chemistry text that is very high school appropriate as well as the chemistry text that is equivalent to first-year college chemistry.  Great explanations and examples.  (I teach out of it at a college).

I think I would not worry about getting a new edition as much as getting a solutions manual.

My oldest three have used some version of Zumdahl.  It is what our community college uses for their Chemistry Prep class.  The first two actually took the class with the book.  The third is using it at home and asking the older ones for help when he doesn't understand something.  He tried using Thinkwell AP Chemistry and got lost in the middle of it.  He has arrived at the same topic in Zumdahl and says he understands it better.  Could be second time around he finally gets it?  More concentrated study of chemistry now, not distracted so much by other subjects he was studying.  He is trying to complete the book by the end of the summer.

We have three different editions.  One has more chapters, but where they have the same chapters, the text and problems look fairly similar.