Menu

Jacob's Mathematics: A Human Endeavor

My son and I agreed that he should be held back a year to give him more time to mature and because of some learning issues (probably dyslexia, something his father and sister both have). He was in 7th grade last year and did okay with the Key To Fractions, Decimals, and Percents books, although he did not get through all of them. I have been debating what to do with a set of the Jacob's Mathematics: A Human Endeavor that I came across for free. I have the student book, the student workbook, and the the teacher's guide. This is a fairly expensive set to put together and looks like it could be interesting. I was going to get him going on Tablet Class this year, something that his older sister did quite well with in Algebra this last year (she is not dyslexic), but since he will be in seventh grade again it seems like I have the luxury of solidifying some basics and showing him the beauty of math without the pressure of a lot of new concepts. I am hoping that someone who has used it or who knows what they are doing with math a little more than me can advise me on which way to go. Which direction do you think would be good to go? I should say that if he matures a lot this year then I will call this year 8th grade and tell him he is going into 9th next year. My kids have not been advanced in math and I want them in Algebra by 9th grade.

I would not do MHE with a student who probably needs a solid prealgebra course instead.  MHE is a good idea for strong math students who might do well with an extra year before Algebra I.  And it was written for older students who don't like math (think liberal arts math for college students).  If your son is still struggling with the basics, it would not be a good choice.

I mostly agree with EKS.

I think that a couple of chapters of high interest could be a valuable addition but I would continue to work on solidifying pre-algebra and early algebra skills.

TabletClass is a solid pre-algebra. Another option could be -- If he liked Key to, why not finish the books you didn't finish for arithmetic skills and start Key to Algebra as a pre-algebra course?

I mostly agree with EKS.

I think that a couple of chapters of high interest could be a valuable addition but I would continue to work on solidifying pre-algebra and early algebra skills.

TabletClass is a solid pre-algebra. Another option could be -- If he liked Key to, why not finish the books you didn't finish for arithmetic skills and start Key to Algebra as a pre-algebra course?

I think I am just going to sell it. I think I have the Key to Algebra set, or most of it anyway. I will have a look. If I do end up keeping him in 7th grade then it wouldn't hurt at all to allow him to finish the Key to lower books and then allow him to go on to Key to Algebra this year. Then maybe we could start Tablet Class Pre-algebra next year. I just want him to be completely solid on his skills before he goes into more complicated classes. He is not very intuitive when it comes to math and really has to be explicitly shown every single concept, usually multiple times. Decimals, percents, fractions, and geometry were a nightmare until last year. I read somewhere that these concepts are hard if not impossible for some dyslexic kids until that age.