Menu

Texas Parent Taught Driver's Ed questions

mothergooseof4

Ds will be turning 15 later this month.  I am mailing in our request and money order for the packet of info today.

How long does it take to get it if you choose the email option?

After receiving the packet, do I have ds do the online course, then go test for his permit, and then do the driving hours? 

How long is the online course? 

Please walk me step by step through this process.  I know we should have gotten started earlier, but I was under the impression that they had to be 15yo to start driver's ed.  Now he is frustrated with me because he was planning to get his permit on his birthday. 

We got ours quickly, like that day. He needs to study the book/info in prep for the written test. It says 6 hours but I don't know if we spent that long.

Gather your documents. There seemed to be a LOT of hoops to jump through on this phase. You need his social security card, his birth certicificate, two bills with your name on them proving you are who you say and live with him, a form (in the packet) showing he is homeschooled, a form that you sign showing you have no arrests or DWIs. There is more and I can't remember all of it. It was a pain to pull it all together. Call the dps, speak to a human, and ask for a detailed list of what you need to bring. I found that simpler than tryin to understand it all from the packet.

After he has studied and is ready and you have pulled all of that together, he can take the written test. If he passes, he gets his permit, THEN you can start the driving. The online and driving portion is 55 hours total. Don't worry about not getting it done for him yet. He will have the work done well before his 16th Bday. We didn't do all of it until ds was 15 1/2.