General Science?

Meg6993

Reading through Well Trained Mind it has the Science cycle as:

5th Biology

6th Astronomy and Earth Science
7th Chemistry

8th Physics

9-12 repeat the above. 

Where does General Science fit in? Somewhere along the way I was told that 7th grade should be General Science such as the one from Apologia. 

When do you fit in General Science? :)

I didn;t strictly follow TWTM Scince schedule...  we do a co-op with science labs on an alternating-year schedule (my kids, for example, would do Bio in 10th, Physical in 7th or 9th.)

My thoughts are that if you have been following TWTM sequence all along, your child will not need General. Mine did need General, and did it in 6th & 8th grades, together with labs at co-op.

WTM is a different paradigm, so you wouldn't do General Science if you were following the WTM science plan.

That said, most people don't follow the WTM science plan. :lol: You can really do whatever you want with science up until high school. Then you need to worry about credits and such and look at what colleges want to see.

I believe Apologia General Science is written for 7th grade, but I've seen many do it in 6th (we started it in 4th, and my son liked the first chapter that we did, but then the author came out with his elementary series, which I liked better than the Apologia Elementary series, so we're doing that so I can combine all my kids).

There are no requirements for middle school science, since those things won't be on your high school transcript. ;) Just do science in some manner.

Thank you all! This has helped tremendously!! :lol:

So basically then, General Science could be done in 8th grade to prepare the student for High School then, right? This is assuming the child would need General Science.  

If you followed the WTM sequence, you likely wouldn't need General Science. General Science just means it covers a wide variety of topics in one year. If you've done Life, Earth, Chem, and Physics, you've covered "general science".

• 1 month later...