Menu

Which of these books do you think would be most enjoyable for girls ages 12-15?

I'm putting together my reading list for next school year, and for one of our units of study, I'm trying to pick from these:

Barrett: Anna of Byzantium

Dickinson: The Dancing Bear

Fletcher: Shadow Spinner

Walsh: The Emperor's Winding Sheet

Any opinions? This would be for girls ages 12-15 who do not like to read and do not read well (probably about 6th grade level, maybe 7th).

Only have read 2 of the 4 titles:

Anna of Byzantium -- main character is not terribly likable, which may make it difficult to care about her, and hence, the book. Fine for age 11 and up.

Shadow Spinner -- okay; personally, I preferred Seven Daughters and Seven Sons, the traditional Arabian tale of Baran, one of a merchant's 7 daughters who disguises herself as a boy and earns the family fortune and redeems her father's honor (lost by not having any sons). Both have female protagonists. Fine for age 11 and up.

What about going for the original source material from which Shadow Spinner draws: 1001 Arabian Nights?

I've read 1 or 2 of Walsh's other books and she is a fine writer; Emperor's Winding Sheet looks good, and has good reviews on Amazon. The only downside is that it is a male protagonist, which might not connect so well with girl non-readers...

Complete aside: very enjoyable and fine for age 12 and up are these movie versions: Arabian Nights (2000 -- TV mini series), and Baran (2001) -- a quiet modern retelling of the Arabian story of Baran, with the main character an Afghani refugee girl in Turkey having to disguise herself as a boy in order to find work. (Foreign film with subtitles, but beautifully shot.)

BEST of luck as you decide! Warmly, Lori D.

Thank you so much, LoriD! I always love to read your literature recommendations. :)

I have also been looking at Geraldine McCaughrean's version of 1001 Arabian Nights (I loved her version of The Canterbury Tales, and I plan to read this with the girls too.)

We usually read most of a given book aloud together: in class we read a couple of chapters aloud together (sometimes I read and sometimes they read, and I explain the nuances just to be sure they are getting it), and they will be assigned a chapter to read for homework. However, they comprehend MUCH better when we read aloud, and especially when *I* do the reading. They tend to "zone out" when they read it for themselves... Calling the words just to say they've done it, but not really understanding--or really even making a REAL effort to do so.

I am trying SO hard to make readers out of them, but I am fighting an uphill battle. :( They are quite outspoken about the fact that they hate to read--almost PROUD of it, like it's a badge of honor and like they think readers are losers. (I am SO glad my own children were never like that. Too discouraging!)

I have also been looking at Geraldine McCaughrean's version of 1001 Arabian Nights (I loved her version of The Canterbury Tales, and I plan to read this with the girls too.)

Oo! Good idea! :)

We usually read most of a given book aloud together: in class we read a couple of chapters aloud together (sometimes I read and sometimes they read, and I explain the nuances just to be sure they are getting it), and they will be assigned a chapter to read for homework. However, they comprehend MUCH better when we read aloud, and especially when *I* do the reading. They tend to "zone out" when they read it for themselves... Calling the words just to say they've done it, but not really understanding--or really even making a REAL effort to do so.

That's a great idea, and a great way of transmitting information to them. Take encouragement that they are willing to receive the info in this way at least! Often, because it makes them feel bad about themselves, students ridicule that which they are not able to do. So don't be put off by their "pride of illiteracy". Keep working! :)

What about the occasional picture book that you have them read to themselves? Fast read, AND they often offer great art done in the art style of the time period/culture -- for example: the Sinbad books by Zeman, as several of the Arabian Night stories are about Sinbad.

How about Eyewitness books? Small "bites" of info for the captions are not so overwhelming and easier to hold onto to what you just read if it is only 1-2 sentences long. Maybe practice comprehension and retention with these books -- they open to a page of interest, and pick an image of interest, read the paragraph to themselves, and then narrate key words to you, or you ask a comprehension question.

Maybe have fun using the Eyewitness books like a sort of Jeopardy quiz -- they read a page, you ask a question, and they have 30 seconds to find the answer from the captions; as they get better at remembering what they read, reduce the time they have for looking, and eventually try it "closed book". Make a score board; have them roll a die for the points each question is worth (multiply the number by 100 to make it more exciting ;) ). See what rules and ideas you all can come up with to make it your own fun game. :)

How about "round robin popcorn reading" (each of you reads aloud 1 paragraph, or 1/2 a page, and passes the book to the next person)? Esp. with a very exciting book that they are really getting into.

How about reading aloud some fun short plays, and each of you are several of the roles. Let your inner thespian out and really emote! :D

I am trying SO hard to make readers out of them, but I am fighting an uphill battle.  :( They are quite outspoken about the fact that they hate to read--almost PROUD of it, like it's a badge of honor and like they think readers are losers. (I am SO glad my own children were never like that. Too discouraging!)

That is SO sad! :( I admire you greatly for your perseverance with them! Sending my very best wishes for you to see progress and success for these young ladies. How awesome of you to step in and help and challenge them! They are being blessed tremendously by you, whether they realize it right now or not. :) Hugs, Lori D.

What about the occasional picture book that you have them read to themselves? Fast read, AND they often offer great art done in the art style of the time period/culture -- for example: the Sinbad books by Zeman, as several of the Arabian Night stories are about Sinbad.

I've already made plans for some picture books for the upcoming school year. Some of the books I've chosen are:

Foster: City of Rainbows

Bower: The Shipwrecked Sailor

Demi: Muhammad

Ashby: Cædmon's Song

I also thought it would be a good idea to read and compare the same fairy tale across several cultures. I'm planning to use one or more of these teacher resources that use several cultures' Cinderella tales:

Teaching With Cinderella Stories From Around The World: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0439188431/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28KM719191IJA&coliid=I1334ECW3RJ1V2

Cinderella Tales From Around The World: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971364915/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28KM719191IJA&coliid=I21SWHPVS7UHXV

In Search of Cinderella: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1885008147/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28KM719191IJA&coliid=IFKNGDX2WTEGT

How about "round robin popcorn reading" (each of you reads aloud 1 paragraph, or 1/2 a page, and passes the book to the next person)?

How about reading aloud some fun short plays, and each of you are several of the roles.

We already do some of this, and it goes over pretty well. They still seem to do better when I do the reading, but sometimes they like taking turns or reading different parts.

Maybe have fun using the Eyewitness books like a sort of Jeopardy quiz -- they read a page, you ask a question, and they have 30 seconds to find the answer from the captions; as they get better at remembering what they read, reduce the time they have for looking, and eventually try it "closed book". Make a score board; have them roll a die for the points each question is worth (multiply the number by 100 to make it more exciting ;) ). See what rules and ideas you all can come up with to make it your own fun game. :)

I really like this idea too, and I'll see what I can do with it. Thank you. :)

They are quite outspoken about the fact that they hate to read--almost PROUD of it, like it's a badge of honor and like they think readers are losers.

Well, if they have trouble reading that makes sense. Say "I don't like to read, reading is boring/stupid/for losers" deflects attention from the fact that they can't read, or at least, they can't read as well as they think they should be able to. Sour grapes, you know?

But there has to be something they like to do, or like to watch on TV or movies. Instead of going through a pre-made list looking for suggestions, it might be better to meet them where they are, don't you think? Find something they're interested in first, then pick out the books.