Menu

Can we start something here...one of our board members needs us

Liz CA

We have done it for Christmas and at other times when someone was in need. Eaglei posted and updated that there are so many difficulties they are facing right now in addition to their son's precarious health situation. Can someone open an account (I can do it since I have more time in the summer) and people can make donations as they see fit? How are these donations / assistance accounts arranged? Would anyone be interested in contributing even a small amount? I cannot contribute a lot but many little donations add up.

Also, does anyone here have an older laptop they could donate to eaglei? She does not have a working computer at home.

what about a gofundme.com site? 

I thought of this since someone mentioned it in a thread recently, however, it seems there is a negative connotation attached to these sites BUT I am new at this. Please make suggestions and we can decide which is the best route.

Some friends of mine, who lost everything in a fire, had an account set up through youcaring.com.

I will check into it later this evening. If they all take cuts, I think we can arrange something through a bank so Eaglei can get as much as is donated. I would rather not pay a middleman.

What about just having it sent to a paypal account? I don't know it that would work.

I'm going out of town for 3 weeks (I'll be checking in here every few days), could someone pm me when we get something set up?

I do have a paypal account and would have no problem doing it. I do want people to feel confident that their donations are reaching Eaglei which is why I was thinking a bonafide bank account where the bank disburses the check and nobody else has withdrawal rights. Is there something safe like this online?

Perhaps I am making this way too complicated. If people are okay with PayPal, it works for me.

If Eaglei has a PayPal account, the funds could just be transferred, isn't this right?

I have not done much with PayPal lately. It goes back to the homeschooling years when I bought stuff on ebay but I am more than willing to be educated on this.

I think you can set up accounts like this at large national banks like Bank of America.

I do have a paypal account and would have no problem doing it. I do want people to feel confident that their donations are reaching Eaglei which is why I was thinking a bonafide bank account where the bank disburses the check and nobody else has withdrawal rights. Is there something safe like this online?

Perhaps I am making this way too complicated. If people are okay with PayPal, it works for me.

If Eaglei has a PayPal account, the funds could just be transferred, isn't this right?

I have not done much with PayPal lately. It goes back to the homeschooling years when I bought stuff on ebay but I am more than willing to be educated on this.

Paypal takes out a fee. So if people send you money via paypal than you send it to eaglei money will be taken out twice. Just a fyi. I appreciate your setting this up. I would love to see the family get some much needed relief.

I am happy to contribute through Paypal if a well-established boardie set up the account.  We did that for another boardie when she had a need, and it got her through the next two "steps" on her path, and well on her way to providing for herself.  I was so thrilled at the way this community pulled together for her.   I would love to help out eaglei.   I think the donations have to be marked personal (or something) so Paypal doesn't take a cut.

PayPal says...

Sending money to friends and family is free for you and the recipient in the US when you fund the transfer with your bank account or PayPal balance. You can also use a debit or credit card or make an international transfer for a small fee. The credit cards charge us a little so we charge you a little for the convenience.

PayPal says...

Sending money to friends and family is free for you and the recipient in the US when you fund the transfer with your bank account or PayPal balance. You can also use a debit or credit card or make an international transfer for a small fee. The credit cards charge us a little so we charge you a little for the convenience.

That's what I was thinking.

Paypal takes out a fee. So if people send you money via paypal than you send it to eaglei money will be taken out twice. Just a fyi. I appreciate your setting this up. I would love to see the family get some much needed relief.

They don't take a fee if you mark it as a gift

So...looks like PayPal is a good way?

Is there anyone who would not donate to a PayPal account but would rather go through a bank? I don't want 

Eaglei's family to miss out on any donations by choosing a method with which people feel uncomfortable.

If everyone is fine with PayPal, I will go to my account and make sure all is well there and PM everyone who expressed interest in helping.

I'm heading into NYC in about an hour. So I'll check back tonight. I am willing to do paypal. I am willing to give and trust that Liz, who has never given any indication that she is not an above board, honest member of the board is going to make sure that the money goes to the need.

I prefer this method because the only "cut" would be the credit card fee if there are any donors that way and that is acceptable since it costs paypal to process the transaction.

I am now PMing those who expressed interest to help with my PayPal info. If anyone wants to help but has not received the payment info, please PM me. I may be gone for a couple of hours today but will be back in the evening (Pacific Daylight Time).

Liz,  We'd contribute.  Like you mentioned, many smaller gifts add up quite well.  Keep us posted on how to do so.   Also, are they able to seek funds from other sources.  They really need to talk to social services at the hospital to learn if there is money out there.  Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Also, their local church (if they attend) and/or radio station may want to be notified to help "promote' within community and perhaps they can offer a fundraiser.  All of this is assuming they  wouldn't mind these opportunities if they came about.

Is someone in contact with her in real life?  I am concerned she may be hard to contact if no one knows her in real life since she doesn't have regular computer access?

Very valid point. I will PM her and hope and pray she sees it in the next couple of days. The faster we can get a little money to them, the better.

It would be great if someone here knew her IRL and could check in with her.

If they are behind on their bills, they may be negative at their bank. It may have already been addressed, but it may be prudent to get her a debit card for the pay pal, so that she isn't relying on transferring to her bank account (which would eat up the cash if she's behind there or random bills could hit, when they need it for food, etc), and it would take several days per transfer to get to her bank account.

This may have already been covered, again, and I apologize if it has.

ETA: I only mention it because getting a card wasn't automatic with ours - we had to request it.

If they are behind on their bills, they may be negative at their bank. It may have already been addressed, but it may be prudent to get her a debit card for the pay pal, so that she isn't relying on transferring to her bank account (which would eat up the cash if she's behind there or random bills could hit, when they need it for food, etc), and it would take several days per transfer to get to her bank account.

This may have already been covered, again, and I apologize if it has.

ETA: I only mention it because getting a card wasn't automatic with ours - we had to request it.

If Eaglei would rather get this in another way, I think I could transfer it to an account and get a money order to send to her. I have PMd her but have not heard back from her.

She does not have a home computer and I hope that somehow she will feel led to check in soon,

If memory serves, eaglei can request the funds in a check form if she has issues at her bank where some of it would end up going to overdraft fees or being taken for past bills they cannot afford to cover at this time, I think that if she has a close friend or relative willing to help, she could sign it over to them, they could deposit it into their account, and then atm cash for her as needed. Well, you could do that kind of thing here at our local owned, rural bank because they are pretty laid back and like to help.

I would be 100% sure of how it works with Paypal before setting it up.  A friend of mine who is a scrapping designer has a son born with Down's.  Due to that, he had a serious need for heart surgery.  She lives in a country where the bill has to be paid up front before they will perform it.  There were various fundraisers, and donations were made to a Paypal for her.  When the time came to get the money in order to pay, she ran in to some struggles getting them to release it.

I would be 100% sure of how it works with Paypal before setting it up. A friend of mine who is a scrapping designer has a son born with Down's. Due to that, he had a serious need for heart surgery. She lives in a country where the bill has to be paid up front before they will perform it. There were various fundraisers, and donations were made to a Paypal for her. When the time came to get the money in order to pay, she ran in to some struggles getting them to release it.

I believe there's a transfer limit can only withdraw up to a certain amount either daily or monthly, I can't remember). I *think* the recipient can make a request of paypal for this to be changed, but yeah, it's worth looking into.

I believe there's a transfer limit can only withdraw up to a certain amount either daily or monthly, I can't remember). I *think* the recipient can make a request of paypal for this to be changed, but yeah, it's worth looking into.

They didn't limit what she could get, they just plain wouldn't let her have it.  I can't remember the details though, but it may have had something to do with her being in another country.  She ended up being able to get it, but only after quite a struggle to prove that it was indeed gifted to her.