Menu

Emergency fairy dust, prayers, whatever you've got

Just Another Jen

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused1: Has DianeW88 chimed in on this thread yet or does anyone know her IRL, or facebook  with her, or whatever?

She  is a ped nurse in SLC, I believe and I imagine would be an absolutely amazing resource for a myriad of issues!    She is extremely knowledgeable and could probably help navigate the insurance issues as well.  Sometimes just speaking the same lingo helps tremendously. 

Just a thought...

Diagnosis-Ehrlichiosis

From a tick in minnesota.

The bacteria is attacking his heart so he is on strong antibiotics and a beta blocker. He did eat lunch and we are happy to have an answer.

Ticks are the enemy.  Glad you have a diagnosis and that he is in such good hands.

And I guess instead of emergency fairy dust, he needs a lifetime supply of Permethrin.  (Side note:  I am very happy with my Buzz Off shirt that has this stuff woven into the fabric.)

Diagnosis-Ehrlichiosis

The bacteria is attacking his heart so he is on strong antibiotics and a beta blocker. He did eat lunch and we are happy to have an answer.

It is so good you have a diagnosis. So often tick borne illnesses go undiagnosed. What a relief to know precisely what you're battling.

Continued prayers for his recovery and your peace.

Diagnosis-Ehrlichiosis

That totally makes sense. I thought it sounded to classic for tick borne disease to be anything else. We see a lot of Erlichiosis in dogs down here in Florida. They tend to do very well on antibiotics and sometimes steroids. Glad they found out what was wrong. 

So happy you have a diagnosis. :)

Breathe. You have a path!

May he feel better and better, and quickly.

When you are ready, please research a bit, but only when you are rested and the initial crisis has passed. My erlichiosis went chronic, and came with a host of other TBDs that were hard to diagnose. If there are *any* lingering symptoms once his treatment is finished, there could be a lingering, underlying infection (or four). I hope not. But it's good to be aware. Most likely, there won't be more issues as this was caught quickly and the abx will treat many of the other potential infections.

Sending grateful thoughts to the docs who caught it!

So happy you have a diagnosis. :)

Breathe. You have a path!

May he feel better and better, and quickly.

When you are ready, please research a bit, but only when you are rested and the initial crisis has passed. My erlichiosis went chronic, and came with a host of other TBDs that were hard to diagnose. If there are *any* lingering symptoms once his treatment is finished, there could be a lingering, underlying infection (or four). I hope not. But it's good to be aware. Most likely, there won't be more issues as this was caught quickly and the abx will treat many of the other potential infections.

Sending grateful thoughts to the docs who caught it!

I wasn't going to say anything, because my experience is in veterinary medicine, but yes, we see chronic issues with dogs as well. Nothing major, and the flare ups respond to medication, but we definitely check bloodwork a few times a year to make sure the white cell count and platelets are staying up, and respond to any lameness, loss of appetite, etc much faster than we would in a patient without a history of a tick borne illness.

• 1 month later...

He is feeling pretty good. He is still seeing a cardiologist as he has had some heart problems which may or may not be permanent. We are hopeful that as his body heals it will all resolve on its own.

Thanks so much for asking.

I have been wondering how he was doing. I'm praying he will make a complete recovery with no permanent issues. :grouphug:

What a horribly scary and stressful time for your family. :(

I have been wondering how he was doing. I'm praying he will make a complete recovery with no permanent issues. :grouphug:

What a horribly scary and stressful time for your family. :(

We gave him some temp work in our remodeling company but he is chomping at the bit to go back out west. I can't blame him- being back here has got to seem like a giant step backwards for him. I'll be happy when he is back on his own 2 feet.

We gave him some temp work in our remodeling company but he is chomping at the bit to go back out west. I can't blame him- being back here has got to seem like a giant step backwards for him. I'll be happy when he is back on his own 2 feet.

It has to be hard on him, having been on his own for a short while and suddenly getting so sick like that!!! Thank goodness he has you and the rest of your family to take care of him, though. Even though I'm sure he thinks he's fine, I'm sure he's getting healthy much faster with regular meals and someone to watch out for him and make sure he doesn't get rundown and too tired.