Menu

Children being bussed across border illegally. Heard of this?

staceyobu

There is NO state in the US (even California) that could handle having 1,000 children with significant needs delivered to its door step all at once with a note that says "House them, feed them, educate them!  Good luck!"  

We can't save the world.  I want to.  I wish we could.  But, we can't.  I don't know what the right solution is. :(   

I would change your first sentence to, "There is No state in the US (even California) that could handle 1,000 children with significant needs delivered to its door step without significant difficulty and sacrifice...."

That's the key, IMO. We could do it if we wanted. It would be difficult. Many people would have to step up and sacrifice their comfort, but we could do it. Our country is huge. I think of the Kindertransport from Germany in WW2. People did not take those children in without sacrificing their comfortable lives, but they did it because they cared. It's a pity more weren't rescued. Some of the children had difficult times away from their families, but nothing is perfect and I respect that the people decided to help. Great Britain took in 10,000. I'm not doing the math, but I think the ratio of children to population/country size is comparable to the US. Not to mention at the time the British were headed into WW2 and rationing FOOD for their own people. I don't think they knew how bad it would get when they accepted the kids, but they managed. Granted, they expected to send the children back when conditions improved, but there was no guarantee.

Sending them back safely and humanely would be very expensive and dangerous. Keeping them here would also be expensive and with risks, but it's not like sending them back is cheap. As I said above, I don't know what the best solution would be, but I wish the President would come out with some inspiring speech requesting help from the American people in the name of compassion and human rights. I wish they would come up with some plan that would allow and encourage people to contribute, and that they said the children would be protected because that's what we do. If Obama came out and said, "We need your help. Please do this...." I bet Americans of every political party would do their parts. Americans (not government) raised roughly 528 million in about 2 weeks to help Haiti after their earthquake and the people we were helping were not in our country already in need. We could help these refugees/illegal immigrants/people if we wanted to and if we had some kind of plan that didn't leave the majority of people feeling helpless to do anything about it. 

I know we can't save the world, but these people are already here. They are already our problem and we have to do something- for good or bad. There are children in terrible situations in other countries too. I'm not advocating that we send boats overseas and offer to take all the homeless children of the world back here. And I do understand that if we keep the children we encourage more to come- I get it. But I'd rather do the right thing for these kids and take that risk and come up with a plan to discourage sending more, than to send them back and say what happens isn't our concern. 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the solution is, but I don't want my country putting babies in camps. It is appalling. Children in America should not live behind bars no matter where they are from. 3yr olds can't be illegal immigrants! They aren't even responsible for stealing candy bars from a store, IMO. 

Does anyone know how most of the children are being found? Are the coyotes dropping them off unattended near the border to fend for themselves or are they being picked up in normal immigration investigations? Are the relatives or friends they were supposed to stay with afraid to pick them up because they too are in the country illegally? 

I wish we could just let those that have people here already stay with them until their case is reviewed, but I understand why that would be problematic in many ways. Also, how do they know these children are not citizens who have been abandoned by their parents here? If they can't find the parents or even be sure what country the child is from, how do they know the kid isn't from here? 

The camps are basically holding areas until we can figure out what to do with them.  We absolutely cannot put these kids into the foster care system until all other efforts have failed.  This takes time.  Because we have been inundated with kids recently, it takes even more time.  Many of these kids have family in the US.  The problem is many of these kids do not have mothers or fathers in this country.  Parents send their kids thinking they will get to aunts, uncles, cousins, or adult siblings.  Some do.  Those that are intercepted are the ones that are put into the holding pattern of the camps.  We aren't supposed to place a child in the home of an aunt, uncle, cousin, etc. if a parent can be found.  Sometimes those parents are in their original country.  We must send them back to their parent (if they have one) even if that means sending them back where they came from (the Elian Gonzales case was an example of this - sometimes it seems wrong to our ethics, but parental rights/having the child with a parent trump a "better life").  Some of these kids are orphans.  We have to be absolutely sure they are and there is no family to place them with before we can move to the next step of fostering.  They are bringing ICE planes down here to SA.  That likely means some of these kids will be moved now, possibly back to their country of origin and their parents.

Three year olds can indeed be illegally in a country according to that country's laws.  You don't have to break a second law in order to have broken the first (illegal entry).  The law they broke, of course, is not on their heads.  It's on the heads of whomever brought them/sent them.  We can send them back to their parents because of this, but, again, this takes time.  The very young children are by far the exception rather than the rule of those who are coming into the country alone.

Coyotes often abandon their groups when they realize border agents are nearby.  This happens a lot.  They take the money and save themselves.  Coyotes don't like to go too far into our country.  That takes time (when they could head back and make more money on their next trip) and increases their risk of getting caught.  Coyotes often drop off groups at "safe" houses.  Some of these houses, when found by CBP, have 30-60 or more people packed into them living temporarily in disgusting conditions.  There are many ways that these groups of kids are being found, but those are the two most common scenarios.  In many cases the family members have no way of contacting the kids who are coming in and have no idea where they are or even if they are alive.  Others have mentioned situations they were personally aware of where they heard nothing for 3 or more weeks and just hoped their family members would make it.  This is pretty much how it goes.  Once contacted, yes, some may be afraid to pick up the kids because they (the older family member) are here illegally, or, more likely, there is a parent in the country of origin and we need to send them back to the parent.

It's pretty obvious that the kids are not US citizens.  Knowing no English and being in a "safe" house with dozens of others like them is a pretty big clue, plus border agents and policemen often have sources who will tell them when a group of illegals have been moved into the country.  Also, remember the majority of these kids are older teens.  They will often talk openly with the border agents (who all know Spanish).

And for those saying we should tell them to try coming legally, it's almost impossible. At least incredibly difficult. MUCH more difficult that when our own ancestors immigrated. http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/immigration/whydonttheycomeherelegally.cfm

No, it is not easy at all, but it is possible.  I live in an area with a *lot* of legal immigrants.  Many of them have been naturalized and are very proud to be Americans now.  I know lots of people with family still in Mexico.  And a heck of a lot of the people I know get *very mad* about illegal immigration.  They feel like they worked hard to get here and others should as well.  It's actually pretty interesting just how passionate some of them get about the whole thing.

You're comparing 900 to 50,000.  

I don't want any harm to come to these children, but you want to say "Hey, 50,000 children who speak no English, many of whom have medical and psychological issues - just spread'em out amongst the states and all will be fine."  I want it to be that easy!  I wish it were that easy, but it's not.  

My sincere question (not snarky, so please don't misunderstand) what state or region do you live in? 

Those of us in border states who are hesitating at the idea of adding 50,000 children to our already overburdened social service and public school systems aren't being jerks, we're being realistic.  It's not a lack of compassion, it's the realization that in this situation a simple solution just doesn't cut it.There is NO state in the US (even California) that could handle having 1,000 children with significant needs delivered to its door step all at once with a note that says "House them, feed them, educate them!  Good luck!"  

We can't save the world.  I want to.  I wish we could.  But, we can't.  I don't know what the right solution is. :(   

50,000 is NOT too many.  You could double it and it wouldn't be too many - esp since many have relatives already here.  The comparison is life to life - not numbers to numbers.

We live in PA.  Our school has had both illegal immigrant children and refugees from the Bosnian conflict.  Both have come with NO understanding of the English language - not even "hello" for the Bosnian kids.  Yet they've graduated and have become productive members of society - really nice people to get to know.  Many went on to (or go to) college.

These are NOT numbers.  They are people.  I think some totally forget that.  If we could have prevented the holocaust (in Germany/Poland, etc, or places like Rwanda/Sudan and others) I'd want ALL who died to have been able to come here.  They could be replaced by sending those without compassion here over there to "fix" the problem that "ought to be fixed over there."  ;)

Or... perhaps those of us in these non-border states ought to opt just to give up on the border states and return them (and their occupants) to Mexico?  Mexico wants the territory... and history shows they owned a good part of it (albeit not all).  Poof.  A major part of the problem "solved" with as "good" of a solution as sending these kids back to their horrid  scenario/future.

The US can do something and should do something.  I'll grant that we shouldn't "dump" it all on the border states, but that doesn't mean we can't do something.  These kids have a lot to offer the US.

How are the the children from Central America able to get into Mexico? My limited understanding is that it is not easy for illegal immigrants from Central America to do this. Anyone know?

I've wondered that myself.  I'm guessing since they are just passing through it's not as difficult than if they were trying to stay in Mexico indefinitely.

I've wondered that myself.  I'm guessing since they are just passing through it's not as difficult than if they were trying to stay in Mexico indefinitely.

From what I've been able to find, it appears they travel alone (literally) on trains.

Illinois has over 500,00 illegal immigrants but they are more or less settled. My youngest went to an immersion school where at least one-half of the student body were from Mexico and Central America.

Or... perhaps those of us in these non-border states ought to opt just to give up on the border states and return them (and their occupants) to Mexico?  Mexico wants the territory... and history shows they owned a good part of it (albeit not all).  Poof.  A major part of the problem "solved" with as "good" of a solution as sending these kids back to their horrid  scenario/future.

Really? I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting. (If so, I apologize.) Your suggestion is not the least bit constructive, and it shows a callous disregard for the very real issues faced in the border states. Perhaps a better solution would be for non-border residents to vigorously lobby their own state and local officials to provide space and services for those who are entering the country illegally.

I guess I can not understand the lack of link clicking by people who want to post multiple times and pose questions easily answered by any source you like.  Do you want to get more information on these topics or not?  Is this board for the well trained mind?  Because information seeking is like the HALLMARK of the brand.

Sometimes it's just easier / lazier to ask. I was kind of hoping someone who has lived in Mexico would give their view.

ETA: And for those who are bothered, please feel free to put me on ignore. My feelings won't be hurt. :)

50,000 is NOT too many.  You could double it and it wouldn't be too many - esp since many have relatives already here.  The comparison is life to life - not numbers to numbers.

We live in PA.  Our school has had both illegal immigrant children and refugees from the Bosnian conflict.  Both have come with NO understanding of the English language - not even "hello" for the Bosnian kids.  Yet they've graduated and have become productive members of society - really nice people to get to know.  Many went on to (or go to) college.

These are NOT numbers.  They are people.  I think some totally forget that.  If we could have prevented the holocaust (in Germany/Poland, etc, or places like Rwanda/Sudan and others) I'd want ALL who died to have been able to come here.  They could be replaced by sending those without compassion here over there to "fix" the problem that "ought to be fixed over there."  ;)

The US can do something and should do something.  I'll grant that we shouldn't "dump" it all on the border states, but that doesn't mean we can't do something.  These kids have a lot to offer the US.

Clearly you feel very strongly about it.  Here's our common ground:  neither one of us wants to see these children harmed.  Our ideas about what the best solution is may differ, but we're on the same team.  We both want these children safe.  I am many things: I'm a pragmatist and, honestly, I'm pretty jaded over the illegal immigration issue, but I am not the enemy.  

Here's one idea I could get behind:  Another poster mentioned the hundreds of millions dollars we raised for Haiti.  I could totally get behind pouring private money into existing (and perhaps new?) orphanages, group homes, and communities in these children's home countries so the children could return to their families in their home country and have a healthier safer environment.  It's not even close to a perfect plan, there are MANY flaws (local corruption immediately comes to mind), but my point is that it's an idea, and that's what we need.  We need many ideas.  It's not helpful to latch on to one idea, dig in your heels, and then decide that's the only way to go, and to hell with anyone who disagrees with you.  

When you ask you get what you pay for. Often opinion and misinformation.

You often get opinion and misinformation as you click, too. My husband went to West Point and what we hear from his friends from there who are still overseas often doesn't match what is found on the internet.

Clearly you feel very strongly about it.  Here's our common ground:  neither one of us wants to see these children harmed.  Our ideas about what the best solution is may differ, but we're on the same team.  We both want these children safe.  I am many things: I'm a pragmatist and, honestly, I'm pretty jaded over the illegal immigration issue, but I am not the enemy.  

Here's one idea I could get behind:  Another poster mentioned the hundreds of millions dollars we raised for Haiti.  I could totally get behind pouring private money into existing (and perhaps new?) orphanages, group homes, and communities in these children's home countries so the children could return to their families in their home country and have a healthier safer environment.  It's not even close to a perfect plan, there are MANY flaws (local corruption immediately comes to mind), but my point is that it's an idea, and that's what we need.  We need many ideas.  It's not helpful to latch on to one idea, dig in your heels, and then decide that's the only way to go, and to hell with anyone who disagrees with you.  

I have lived in South America for 19+ years.  I truly believe that the USA would have far more influence with regard to the people who are illegally entering the USA, and get much better results, by spending far less money, in the 3 countries that are sending those children to the USA.  Instead of spending the money in the USA where the costs are far higher, for the same services.

Instead of needing 2 billion dollars, apparently the monetary request at this time, 50 million dollars spent (wisely) in each of those 3 countries would probably do far more good for children and their families in those 3 countries.

That said, those who are already in the USA must be dealt with in the best way possible. The older "children", especially the males 16 and older, are normally subject to different laws, if they would apply for a Tourist/Business class visa (B1/B2) for the USA, so they will probably need to be handled in a different way. This is a follow on to the attacks on 9/11.

I have lived in South America for 19+ years.  I truly believe that the USA would have far more influence with regard to the people who are illegally entering the USA, and get much better results, by spending far less money, in the 3 countries that are sending those children to the USA.  Instead of spending the money in the USA where the costs are far higher, for the same services.

Instead of needing 2 billion dollars, apparently the monetary request at this time, 50 million dollars spent (wisely) in each of those 3 countries would probably do far more good for children and their families in those 3 countries.

The problem I see with that (note that I'm not intrinsically opposed to the idea) is that if there has been a breakdown of law and order of such magnitude, I don't see the money actually getting to the people who need it without an ongoing military or para-military presence to safeguard it.

Pouring money into Haiti has not helped Haiti (much).  Pouring money into Africa has not helped Africa (much).

Thinking outside the box can help, so there are certainly possibilities beyond "keep the status quo and bury the border states" and "kick them all out to their fates."

Due to the current situations in their respective countries (not just poverty), I suspect spending the money and helping them here is a better option even if it costs a bit more (akin to assisting the Jews who wanted to leave Nazi Germany).  If it were merely poverty, then assisting with microfianance and similar deals there would be more likely to work (akin to assisting many in Africa or Haiti).  Since it isn't quite fair to lump a whole country or area under one blanket, there could be some crossover pending exactly where we are talking about and what the issues are there.

All borders are man-made... (even a river or ocean - while nature made - is not a border until man makes it one).  Our planet does not have borders - the lines come only on man-made maps. We are all citizens of this planet and ought to do our best to help our fellow citizens when we are presented with issues.  It doesn't matter if that person is in your family, the person next door, or the one who comes knocking on your door.  Doing otherwise is unfathomable. 

I can't imagine answering to my Creator (who I believe created the world and everyone in it)  if I were ever to turn away someone or support such a thing. 

Would you be willing to take one already in the foster care system regardless where (s)he was born (like the US) or only one from another country that is about to enter the system? I'm just curious. If you seriously consider and then decline where should these kids go instead?

When you say WE should invest in them, do you mean the border states they cross into? We're already maxed out as it is. Do you mean other states should be sending tax dollars to help us with the waves of people coming? Would you please start a campaign for that, because we've been screaming for years and years that just because we live in the state they crossed into, that doesn't mean we're completely responsible for all the expenses related to housing, feeding, educating, medically treating, and legally processing them. Do only people in CA, AZ, NM, and TX have an obligation to provide all that? Yes, the Feds cover some of that, but they never really cover all of it.

Will you be willing to explain why any jobs they get (including building and maintaining their own temporary and permanent housing, water drilling, etc.) aren't going to US citizens and legal immigrants? The fewer citizens working the lower the tax revenue which means less tax money to spend on helping them. Unemployment is very high right now, so we've got that to deal with. Also, could you please talk to unions about that too? They're very vocal about competing for jobs in the US with those here illegally. At least my brother does, do you want his number? I'm tired of hearing about it from him and the decline in union work (which is almost always related to government funded projects like this would be) lately here in AZ.

Please send us:

Adequate temporary facilities to house them until they can be sent somewhere permanently. Remember we're in the most remote parts of the country-no running water and water tables so far down you would be shocked. Do you know how much it costs to drill a well in that kind of region? If not, it has to be trucked in.

Please send us a list of all the facilities you have nearby that are empty and ready to house groups of people. Which of your school districts have extra space? How many of the teachers there speak Spanish and are ESL trained? Who will pay the cost of the transportation? How many kids do you think is too many for a classroom and do you have the staff, buildings, resources, materials and transportation to handle it all? We don't.

Adequate medical personnel and medical treatments to screen, treat and humanely quarantine people with serious, contagious medical conditions before you send them into communities where it can spread.

Adequate food. Nothing grows here but cactus, so it will have to be shipped in (terribly expensive) and it will have to be non-perishable while they're at the temporary facilities.

Adequate housing. We already don't have enough people to take in all the US citizen foster kids. That means we'll have to provide group housing. Are the people who are complaining about that offering their homes? If not, then they need to come up with another idea.

Adequate education. Send all your extra ESL teachers and fluent Spanish speaking teachers. Does your district have extra teachers just waiting around with nothing to do? We don't. We're maxed out. Also send teachers trained in dealing severely traumatized children-these kids have been across several countries with coyotes. They're going to have all sorts of serious problems.

My SIL is ESL trained and works with homeless kids in PHX. Do you have any idea how much harder it is to get a child in those conditions up to speed academically? Their long term academic performance is not so great as a whole because they have all kinds of obstacles to overcome. Most end up in low income, high crime neighborhoods and many of them end up in prison as adults. So much more than kids in stable homes. Send lots of taxpayer dollars from around the US because this is going to take shocking amounts of resources.

If we made it easier to enter the country legally, we might see a drastic decline in this human smuggling business and the many problems associated with it.

I'm out in a farm/vineyard area. Our school district is now over 50% hispanic from Mexico and Central America. 7 years ago  it was 12%. We get a surge every August of undocumented children. The biggest issue our churches and schools face is that the local industries actively discourage documented workers. They find the paperwork "cumbersome" and inconvenient. What is inconvenient is their responsibility to offer a living wage, work housing and health coverage. Instead the community provides it and some of these landlords cram 30-40 men in a house in the most despicable conditions. They are subject to crime and intimidation.  We provide emergency room care, educations, clothing, etc Having the families intact with children is a positive thing for these workers. Guest worker status or something needs to be provided. It should and could have been done along time ago but some one some where isn't wanting it because these industries benefit from these vulnerable  people.  

I'm out in a farm/vineyard area. Our school district is now over 50% hispanic from Mexico and Central America. 7 years ago  it was 12%. We get a surge every August of undocumented children. The biggest issue our churches and schools face is that the local industries actively discourage documented workers. They find the paperwork "cumbersome" and inconvenient. What is inconvenient is their responsibility to offer a living wage, work housing and health coverage. Instead the community provides it and some of these landlords cram 30-40 men in a house in the most despicable conditions. They are subject to crime and intimidation.  We provide emergency room care, educations, clothing, etc Having the families intact with children is a positive thing for these workers. Guest worker status or something needs to be provided. It should and could have been done along time ago but some one some where isn't wanting it because these industries benefit from these vulnerable  people.  

Yes.

We'd be much better off if these people were documented rather than undocumented, and frankly, for those who are worried about job competition, it would make them less likely to agree to work for far less than minimum wage simply because they're worried about their employer calling immigration.

The problem I see with that (note that I'm not intrinsically opposed to the idea) is that if there has been a breakdown of law and order of such magnitude, I don't see the money actually getting to the people who need it without an ongoing military or para-military presence to safeguard it.

There are ways the U.S. Government could have a positive effect in those countries, without squandering money, as was done in Haiti. A little money could go a long way, if spent wisely.

No, it is not easy at all, but it is possible.  I live in an area with a *lot* of legal immigrants.  Many of them have been naturalized and are very proud to be Americans now.  I know lots of people with family still in Mexico.  And a heck of a lot of the people I know get *very mad* about illegal immigration.  They feel like they worked hard to get here and others should as well.  It's actually pretty interesting just how passionate some of them get about the whole thing.

It is only possible IF they have a relative here already, are able to claim asylum, or have a business willing to sponsor them (which would only be for those with high education/skills). So no, not really possible if you don't fit those categories.

And nobody seems to have noticed that Hobby Lobby pays their employees twice the legal minimum wage.

Hobby Lobby found a way to be profitable, although they pay their employees far more than what their competitors would pay them.  

I agree with you that there should be a legal program for Migratory Farm workers. Many farmers, in many parts of the USA have requested that, repeatedly.

It is only possible IF they have a relative here already, are able to claim asylum, or have a business willing to sponsor them (which would only be for those with high education/skills). So no, not really possible if you don't fit those categories.

Very tough to legally emigrate to the USA.  There was a huge migration from Colombia, many years ago. Now, many of those people have returned to Colombia, because they want to raise their children here, because of the "rat race" in the USA, and because things in Colombia have improved greatly.

That has resulted in fewer Colombians violating their B1/B2 (Tourist/Business) Visas and their Student Visas. The result is that the U.S. Consuls now approve the majority of  visa requests here (about 70% as I recall are approved) and the U.S. Government is now considering adding Colombians to the Visa waiver program.

Improve things in the countries where those people are from and they will not want to leave their home country and their family and their friends. That takes time and it takes money, but that is the best way to have them stay within their own countries. 

Colombia is far safer than it was when I moved here. The economy here is very solid. Those are among the things that people need. One might flee poverty and war, but not success and opportunity. 

If the economies of those 3 countries can be improved, their residents have less reason to give up everything and risk their lives to enter the USA illegally. 

Obama is deporting more people than any president ever. Here's the result of our current disgusting anti family policy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/07/05/a-band-aid-for-800-children/?hpid=z3

But not children.

The number of immigrants under 18 who were deported or turned away at ports of entry fell from 8,143 in 2008, the last year of the George W. Bush administration, to 1,669 last year, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement data released under a Freedom of Information Act request.

Similarly, about 600 minors were ordered deported each year from nonborder states a decade ago. Ninety-five were deported last year, records show, even as a flood of unaccompanied minors from Central America — five times more than two years earlier — began pouring across the Southwest border.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-deport-children-20140706-story.html#page=1

Really? I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting. (If so, I apologize.) Your suggestion is not the least bit constructive, and it shows a callous disregard for the very real issues faced in the border states. Perhaps a better solution would be for non-border residents to vigorously lobby their own state and local officials to provide space and services for those who are entering the country illegally.

How do you know we don't do that? I lobby my congress woman (who does a great deal of what I already want) and I don't live in the US (although I am a US citizen). I DO live in a country, which, proportionately to it's size takes FAR more asylum seekers each year than the US does. Here is the most up to date stats

iq8sv9.png

As you can see we are doing our fair share here and quite frankly many people in MY country are getting VERY tired of taking in refugees from conflicts that the US has meddled in and then left. Thankyouverymuch.

But not children.

The number of immigrants under 18 who were deported or turned away at ports of entry fell from 8,143 in 2008, the last year of the George W. Bush administration, to 1,669 last year, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement data released under a Freedom of Information Act request.

Similarly, about 600 minors were ordered deported each year from nonborder states a decade ago. Ninety-five were deported last year, records show, even as a flood of unaccompanied minors from Central America — five times more than two years earlier — began pouring across the Southwest border.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-deport-children-20140706-story.html#page=1

With the sudden decline from 2008 to 2009, it would seem like something changed.  The less curious among us might assume it was the change in presidential administrations.

Those willing to investigate fiurther may find something buried in the link you provided.

"They instead blame a 2008 law signed by Bush that made it nearly impossible to repatriate unaccompanied minors to Central America without letting them appear before an immigration judge.

A mounting backlog in immigration courts since then has allowed most Central American minors to stay for years while their cases wend their way through the legal system. Once they are assigned to social workers, as the law requires, the overwhelming majority are sent to live with their parents or relatives in the United States, officials said."

FYI - that law was signed on December 23, 2008. 

http://www.state.gov/j/tip/laws/113178.htm

TeacherZee, does the high immigration rate affect the taxes of the home country? Are the asylum seekers skilled workers? or children? (I'm asking out of curiosity - I live in an area of the U.S. that has lots and lots of immigrants, but they are doctors and researchers and engineers (and as such, almost universally self-supporting). I keep thinking and thinking about this situation, and the possibilities out there for all of us. I am well aware of my own family's "immigrant status" (not my generation but previously), and I keep brainstorming for compassionate solutions. I think reasonable parallels can offer quite a bit of insight.)

TeacherZee, does the high immigration rate affect the taxes of the home country? Are the asylum seekers skilled workers? or children? (I'm asking out of curiosity - I live in an area of the U.S. that has lots and lots of immigrants, but they are doctors and researchers and engineers (and as such, almost universally self-supporting). I keep thinking and thinking about this situation, and the possibilities out there for all of us. I am well aware of my own family's "immigrant status" (not my generation but previously), and I keep brainstorming for compassionate solutions. I think reasonable parallels can offer quite a bit of insight.)

Well the five largest groups this year are from (in descending order): Syria, Eritrea, stateless, Somalia and Iraq. I am sure some of them are skilled, but none of them speak Swedish which means that they have to learn Swedish before they can get a job. It does put a burden on our tax system because we house, feed, clothed and school them until they can do so themselves. I personally don't mind and neither does the majority here, but a growing vocal minority do mind and that is impacting our political system and our politics which I do NOT like. 

They do have children.

There is a shortage of teachers who teach Swedish as a second language.

But we manage.

With the sudden decline from 2008 to 2009, it would seem like something changed.  The less curious among us might assume it was the change in presidential administrations.

Those willing to investigate fiurther may find something buried in the link you provided.

"They instead blame a 2008 law signed by Bush that made it nearly impossible to repatriate unaccompanied minors to Central America without letting them appear before an immigration judge.

A mounting backlog in immigration courts since then has allowed most Central American minors to stay for years while their cases wend their way through the legal system. Once they are assigned to social workers, as the law requires, the overwhelming majority are sent to live with their parents or relatives in the United States, officials said."

I am not assuming it was the change in presidential administrations - I am simply pointing out that President Obama is not deporting more minors than ever before. (I am intellectually curious enough to acknowledge that there are many, very complex, very challenging reasons to every piece of this story, I promise.)

It seems to come back to critical mass - while allowing the ones here to stay (in, say 2008) seems to be the compassionate thing to do, if the numbers continue to increase tenfold, we will soon eliminate our ability to offer practical compassion to ANY.  Where is that line? Is there room in a civil discourse for the ranchers (who pay taxes on their land but feel threatened by illegal drug-runners and traffickers) to sit down at the table with middle-age mothers trying to keep their families together and gain a better chance at respite from the distress of their home country?

(I wish I could "color" my argument friendly - I'm a relatively cheerful person who enjoys engaging in healthy debate, but I sometimes worry that "arguing" online comes across as snotty or ignorant, at which point I will bow out rather than be ugly. There are many, many things I don't understand in this immigration debate, and I sense that I am not alone in that; I appreciate a challenging conversation that pushes me to understand more in an intellectual and respectful forum. Thank you. *raises glass* )

And for anyone who wants to go back and read the many extremely informative links throughout this thread, this law and what President Obama wants to do about it has been mentioned in those article multiple times. 

How are the the children from Central America able to get into Mexico? My limited understanding is that it is not easy for illegal immigrants from Central America to do this. Anyone know?

I've wondered that myself. I'm guessing since they are just passing through it's not as difficult than if they were trying to stay in Mexico indefinitely.

Getting through Mexico is the most dangerous part of their journey.

Sometimes it's just easier / lazier to ask. I was kind of hoping someone who has lived in Mexico would give their view.

ETA: And for those who are bothered, please feel free to put me on ignore. My feelings won't be hurt. :)

I am actually in Mexico at the moment spending time with family but will return this evening to address these things in more detail. @MBM, I just moved back from Mexico this past August after about ten years and still spend my time decided between northern Mexico and the US. Do you gave any specific questions?

You often get opinion and misinformation as you click, too. My husband went to West Point and what we hear from his friends from there who are still overseas often doesn't match what is found on the internet.

Yes! This. The media sensationalizes things. I remember my grandmother fearing for my life when I was stateside. With all the school shooting news and what not. Her perception was that gunmen were running rampant in US cities. She was from Sinaloa and lived in Tijuana during the most recent cartel wars.

Very tough to legally emigrate to the USA. There was a huge migration from Colombia, many years ago. Now, many of those people have returned to Colombia, because they want to raise their children here, because of the "rat race" in the USA, and because things in Colombia have improved greatly.

That has resulted in fewer Colombians violating their B1/B2 (Tourist/Business) Visas and their Student Visas. The result is that the U.S. Consuls now approve the majority of visa requests here (about 70% as I recall are approved) and the U.S. Government is now considering adding Colombians to the Visa waiver program.

Improve things in the countries where those people are from and they will not want to leave their home country and their family and their friends. That takes time and it takes money, but that is the best way to have them stay within their own countries.

Colombia is far safer than it was when I moved here. The economy here is very solid. Those are among the things that people need. One might flee poverty and war, but not success and opportunity.

If the economies of those 3 countries can be improved, their residents have less reason to give up everything and risk their lives to enter the USA illegally.

What brought about the improvements in Colombia?

There are ways the U.S. Government could have a positive effect in those countries, without squandering money, as was done in Haiti. A little money could go a long way, if spent wisely.

But there is the rub.....how do we get our elected officials to do something wisely when simply posturing for the next election is so much more lucrative?

Teacher Zee said:

"How do you know we don't do that? I lobby my congress woman (who does a great deal of what I already want) and I don't live in the US (although I am a US citizen). I DO live in a country, which, proportionately to it's size takes FAR more asylum seekers each year than the US does. Here is the most up to date stats..<<graph omitted for space>>

As you can see we are doing our fair share here and quite frankly many people in MY country are getting VERY tired of taking in refugees from conflicts that the US has meddled in and then left. Thankyouverymuch."

Good for you for contacting her. This is a national problem that requires national efforts to resolve.

This is a humanitarian issue.  Not a political one.

Once upon a time we were proud to be a nation of refugees founded by immigrants.

These are thousands and thousands of children.  Yes its a hardship, especially on boarder states. But as a nation we should be seeking ways to help, not the fastest way to ship them off and wash our hands of the problem.  No, it won't be simple. It will be hard, and complex, but with patience and compassion, and a true desire to do what is best for children, we can find a way.

New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

What brought about the improvements in Colombia?

First, and this is probably an extremely major factor, there is and always has been a very large "Middle class" in Colombia. I believe not having just a few people who are extremely wealthy and hordes who are extremely poor helps, in any country where that is the case.

As a group, people here are well educated. Many people here have advanced degrees. 

We had a President for 8 years who made the country much safer. There was a time, years ago, when people were afraid to drive from one city to another city. That's long ago.

Probably some of this has to do with "Plan Colombia" and the close relationship between the Colombian government and the U.S. government. We are not a "puppet" government of the USA, but we are possibly the only "ally" the U.S. has South of the Rio Grande.

The Economics here are very stable. We went through horrendous problems in Cali, for example, in 1995, after the Cali Cartel was destroyed. Many people lost their homes and their apartments and the banking system collapsed, as it has done in the USA 2 or 3 times in recent years, during real estate booms and busts.  There was a huge recession. We bought this lot, early in 2003, just before real estate prices began to increase. The Savings and Loans were liquidated, and the banks here are very strong now. One or 2 of our banks are traded publicly on the NYSE.

We offer to multi national corporations a government they do not need to fear will seize their assets. There is a lot of foreign investment here.  

Poor people do not create jobs here in Colombia, in the USA, or in Central America. Jobs are created by those with money and by corporations with money.  

There are still lots of extremely poor people here, but there is also opportunity for those who want to work. 

The GDP here increased 6.9% (?) during the first quarter of 2014. In the USA, sadly, the GDP decreased 2.9% in that same quarter.

There are huge infrastructure programs beginning here. I believe that has to do with highways and with airports. In December, we were in the brand new airport terminal in Bogota. My wife told me that Cali is next for a new airport terminal. DD, after using restrooms in both airports, told me, "I've seen the future and I like it". Probably that involves spending on many other things in our infrastructure..

We live on my income which is in U.S. Dollars and we have gotten killed, financially, for years, because the U.S. Dollar is so weak. The weak U.S. Dollar also hurts  Colombian companies that export (Flowers and many other products). So, the government here purchases U.S. Dollars they do not need, trying to weaken the Colombian Peso a little.  Those purchases of U.S. Dollars help our family and Colombian exporters a little.

This morning, in Bogota, there were at least 90,000 people who showed up to welcome our returning World's Cup Soccer team from Brazil. I believe the people here are much more patriotic and proud of their country, than when I first began coming here in 1992.

There have been many very prominent people (in government and out) who were caught for corruption and sent to prison. There is much less corruption here than when I first moved here. Still a long way to go, but important heads have rolled, when they were caught.

The military is stronger now and is much more respected. Also, the National Police. Less corruption. The "Secret" Police (known as DAS), was disbanded, because of corruption.

We have free press and one of our networks was thrown out of Venezuela, months ago, along with CNN.

Your post seems to indicate that you, like sooo many Americans across the country, don't understand the ongoing strain on limited resources with the problems we face (shocking numbers of foster kids among citizens) and that "investing" in these kids requires additional resources that no one in other states wants to contribute. But boy do they want to demand we do it! I'm all for helping them, but that will require more people in other parts of the country contributing the resources I have listed. Please do! Stop telling us what we should do, we're doing more than anyone else. Roll up your sleeves, divert tax dollars from your own coffers and be part of the solution. We don't a lecture. We need real, concrete help.

The economic realities you address are not going to be made better with increased numbers of unskilled labor coming in from south of the border. If you're struggling then you should sympathize with the fact that we are too. The nation is going to have to help out with tax money or make a hard decision and send them back. Either they stay or go. If they do, then you have to deal with the realities and solve the problems. If you don't have concrete ideas or clarification to offer, then why comment? I'm trying like crazy to convince people who don't live near the problem that they will have to help in useful ways. We don't need platitudes. We need real solutions. Offer one up, please.

Aelwydd already stated in a post prior to yours that she lives in Texas, yet you are lecturing her as if she lives far from any border state. Your condescension, intentional or not, came through quite clearly in your post.

First, and this is probably an extremely major factor, there is and always has been a very large "Middle class" in Colombia. I believe not having just a few people who are extremely wealthy and hordes who are extremely poor helps, in any country where that is the case.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Lanny.

The point about the middle class is I think particularly significant. How do you go about creating a real middle class in a country where such is virtually non-existent?

I don't know much about Colombia. How much of the population is of European descent vs. native and mixed? It seems from my experience in other Latin American countries that those with the highest percentage native populations face some of the worst challenges in terms of poverty and unequal distribution of wealth and opportunity. Bolivia and Guatemala both fall into that category. I don't know all the dynamics behind that or even if my perception is valid.

ETA I found some information on ethnicity in Latin America including an interesting map here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ethnic_Composition_of_the_Americas.PNG

Aelwydd already stated in a post prior to yours that she lives in Texas, yet you are lecturing her as if she lives far from any border state. Your condescension, intentional or not, came through quite clearly in your post.

Thank you. I'm a native Texan, whose paternal family goes back at least 4 generations in this state. My mother's family is all Californian. I really don't require a patronizing speech on what ails border states. Being married to someone who was a social worker for 5+ years here, I also don't appreciate the assumption that we are ignorant regarding realities of foster care.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Lanny.

The point about the middle class is I think particularly significant. How do you go about creating a real middle class in a country where such is virtually non-existent?

I don't know much about Colombia. How much of the population is of European descent vs. native and mixed? It seems from my experience in other Latin American countries that those with the highest percentage native populations face some of the worst challenges in terms of poverty and unequal distribution of wealth and opportunity. Bolivia and Guatemala both fall into that category. I don't know all the dynamics behind that or even if my perception is valid.

ETA I found some information on ethnicity in Latin America including an interesting map here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ethnic_Composition_of_the_Americas.PNG

You gave me an interesting question: How do you create a true middle class?  My impression is that here in Colombia, there has always been a very large Middle class.  If I assume, I assume that over the years, many people have been able to move from Lower class to Middle class, economically. Colombia is also very unusual in Latin America, because there are many large cities.

One thing that I would tell you about Colombia and probably this applies in most or all of Latin America (Mexico and South of there, and even including Brazil, which is not a Latin country) is that there is very little racism or Anti Semitism.  Many years ago, on a flight from Mexico to the USA I asked a Mexican man why he thought that is true. His response may be as good as any. "Everyone goes to the same church".

I left out in my earlier reply that there are many people here who have been displaced because of the guerrilla. I suspect that some of the people I see in line to get cash from the ATM machine from a Colombian government program are getting financial aid from the government because they are displaced.  

Quoting from this URL on WikiPedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Colombia

According to the 2005 census by the DANE the population of Colombia was composed of these racial groups:[4][5][6]

We live in S.W. Colombia and a large percentage of the population here are Afro Colombians. Across the mountains, on our Pacific Coast, probably they are the vast majority. 

I suspect that with every dollar the U.S. government can spend wisely in one of those Central American countries, it will help one impoverished family improve their lives.

Here, years ago, we had a very strange situation, when the U.S. Navy built a school on or near our Pacific Coast.  Had they just donated the materials, it would have been nice, but them building the school seemed to make it a very suspicious activity. The local men could easily have built the school, so it just seemed to be a pretext for intelligence activities.  

I am trying to imagine what they would think in one of those Central American countries, if the U.S. Military came in to build them a school. I wonder what their reaction would be. Those are countries with very small populations and where wealth is probably concentrated among a few prominent families.

Years ago, I knew 2 North American men here (they worked for the Freight Forwarder I used at that time) and one of them was married to a Guatemalan woman. They moved to Guatemala to take an active part in a family business there and I hope they are OK. My belief is that it is far more dangerous in Guatemala than it is here in Colombia.

There were a lot of Colombians who moved to Venezuela years ago, but most of them have returned or are trying to return. The same is true of Spain.  Many Colombians moved to Spain, but now have returned or are trying to return. We know a family (Spaniards) that moved to Cali, to begin a better life here, because of the horrible situation in Spain.

So, things can and do change with time.  Colombia is improving while Venezuela is declining. That has to do with Democracy, respect of foreign investment and the rights of foreigners, here in Colombia, along with the failed economic model (Socialism) they have in Venezuela and the lack of freedom of the press and the lack of respect for foreign investment and for foreigners. Venezuelans are moving to Colombia now.

Let me preface by saying that my understanding is that crossing into Mexico is not extremely difficult. Yes, there is border patrol but it isn't a heavy presence. People crossing need to be concerned with robbers/criminals that are out to rob/hurt/take advantage of them.

As for the children, there are a few different scenarios playing out here. Some of the children are crossing with family members who are not their parents. For example, an aunt or cousin who has cared for a child since the child's parent went to the U.S. decides to head north to meet up with the parent. When this group is caught, the child is classified as an unaccompanied minor.

Others are teens anywhere from 13-17 years old. Many of these have chosen to make the journey of there own, either because they have family in the U.S. or because they want to help their family back home. (Obviously there can and often are other factors.). These teens are also classified as unaccompanied minors.

Then there are the ones that were believed to be traveling with coyotes and abandoned when the Border Patrol was thought to be near by. They are usually traveling with a group, and the whole group gets left to be found by USBP.

I've wondered that myself. I'm guessing since they are just passing through it's not as difficult than if they were trying to stay in Mexico indefinitely.

In some cases, immigrants can get Asylum (not sure if that's what they call it) from the Mexican government. This allows them to travel through Mexico freely. Although, Mexican officials will and do deport people. What I am not positive about is if this is specifically for them to travel through or if they could essentially become legal immigrants in Mexico.

Getting through Mexico is the most dangerous part of their journey.

This is very much the case. There has been a lot of mention about la bestia in this thread. La bestia is a train that immigrants traveling through Mexico tend to hop on illegally. The roof is usually covered with hundreds (thousands?) of people. Every year, many people fall off/under the train and lose limbs or their lives. Aside from bodily harm, riders have to fear bandits that get on and rob them, bandits/other travelers that attack or rape them, kidnappers, etc. Authorities know fool well that immigrants are traveling on this train. They do little to stop or protect them. Throughout their trip in Mexico, immigrants must continue to deal with criminals that are out to rob them and coyotes who are not a savory bunch and often rape the women.

Further more, they also face discrimination. There is a lot of negativity towards Guatemalans, who are often looked down upon. I also noticed there was a lot of hatred towards Salvadorians, but never was able to figure out what the reasoning was.

If you have any specific question, you could PM me. I am happy to answer any questions I can.

I think our nation needs:

Strong border control. Good fences make more tolerable neighbors.

Genuine practical immigration reform. It's been insane for decades. We can't even blame 9/11. It was a nuts complicated pita expensive long wait from hades system long before that.

And frankly, if Mexico can't get their act together, then we should go do it for them to protect our own states. This is ridiculous. Same goes for the countries these children are coming from. I think at the very least it might be cheaper to offer them territorial status and possibly ratification if they can meet certain humanitarian and corporate conditions. It's a win-win, so it will probably never happen. :/

What I keep thinking is that protecting the area between the border states and Mexico is a real pita compared to the itty bit between panama and Columbia. Just sayin.

And no, I don't want war. No one ever does. Which has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is the smart or right thing to do or not.

But really I don't think we need a terrible war to do it. If the situation is this drastic, now is the time to move in with some excellent diplomacy. It sounds like just the thing millions of parents would demand there. I have to think if they care enough to be this desperate, they would care enough to pitch a screaming fighting fit in the streets to an agreement that would mean they didn't have to do it at all.

If anything our war would be with the cartels. And I'm okay with that.

Because who are we kidding, if anyone in Washington is awake at all, we are already at war with them.

Unless we are sleeping with them. Which I'm just as likely to believe of our leadership these days.

:/

As for the children currently here.

They should be processed as quickly as possible into valid relatives' homes.

And they won't find homes in the foster system unless the foster system and the adoption system gets a genuine reforming too. People are always asking who will take the babies/children of unwanted whatever conditions as though there are not people who would take them. This is not true. There are MANY who want to and would give good homes but the system for them to do so is such an expensive nightmare to contend with that many are turned away from it. We have to change this.

This article by an AP reporter explains how the illegal aliens come across the Rio Grande River and then turn themselves in immediately for processing. This is incredibly different from the way illegal aliens historically crossed the border and then moved North from the border ASAP to avoid capture. There is probably advertising in the Central American countries these people are leaving, explaining that this is their opportunity to enter the USA, without needing to apply for a Visa. They would not qualify for a Visa, if they applied, so this is their only option to enter the USA.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20140707/us--immigration_overload-hot_spot-264468bcb2.html

There is a very large children's home just a stone's throw away outside the gate at LAFB which I believe is BC&FS. I assume it is they who are running things at the immigrant children's shelter on base? One in the same? Perhaps they are accustomed to dealing with these situations already, plus they are in close proximity. Makes sense to me.

It does look like they are the same group.  Their website gives a lot of information about what they do for human disasters and helping the underprivileged (not just in Texas).  They've been doing this for 70 years now.

Well, I must be insane to propose anything because I am sure it will get flamed wildly, but I am sending a proposal to my state rep.

The idea I have is that we have a TON of abandoned real estate in Detroit and some of it is in fairly safe neighborhoods and still renovation worthy IF donors could be found to fund the projects. GM, Ford, and several other companies have said they would donate to a worthy enterprise to do some "renaissance work in the city". Due to recent budget cuts, we have ESL teachers out of work and we have contractors that barely keep their heads above water or have closed up shop but still need work. We have social workers who lost their jobs due to budget cuts. All of these people could find employment with group home projects. Reclaiming some buildings and devoting them to taking in children could put a bunch of Michiganders back to work, in turn elevating their financial service and thus putting income and sales tax into the system. We are a heavy agriculturally minded state and food is relatively inexpensive compared to other states. Direct contracts with local farmers helps the economy and puts local foods in hungry bellies. Michigan deer hunters have said for years that they needed more outlets for donating venison...we have very good venison here and a LOT would be donated. Detroit has an excellent children's hospital plus the likes of Beaumont and Henry Ford with world class specialists.

With some help from the feds, donations from local companies and wealthy citizens, and a city desperate to rejuvenate itself with worthy causes and a governor actively seeking for opportunities, I think that providing quality, short term group homes and volunteer tutors (4h has a strong program for helping in communities in this manner), putting teachers and social workers,contractors, etc. back to work, and helping kids move through the counseling process and into permanent families when possible is something Detroit, Lansing, and the rest of Michigan could do if political minds would agree to try. I've seen a lot of cooperative efforts come together recently in the city, retirees mowing parks and cleaning them up, volunteers in schools, reading programs, helping neighbors with transportation, churches running all kinds of benevolence programs....I think that with some monetary assistance from Washington and corporations, we could make a difference in the lives of several hundred children.

The one thing that would have to change would be the difficulty of passing a home study in some communities. We do not qualify because we have well water...doesn't matter that we have a whole house revers osmosis filtration system so our water is safer than city water! It's a county regulation with no option for exemption. There are lots of silly things like that which wouldneed to be altered so that more families who have a heart to help a child would qualify.

It's probably a stupid idea, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. We have real estate, we have good and decent unemployed peole who would jump at the chance to be employed working to do the practical things like renovation and maintenance, or the emotional stuff like working with kids, teaching, etc., and volunteers who want to help do something worthwhile in the city. We don't have the water or food delivery issues of the border states. So maybe, just maybe it's something Lansing could consider with assistance.

Faith, I don't think it's a stupid idea. To add to it, MSU and U of M could have their social worker, education, med, nursing, etc students could intern there.

Absoutely, and an ESL devoted charter school run by Oakland University should not be out ofthe question either. Many people would consider MI an odd place to find ESL teachers due to our location. But, we have a lot of migrant workers in agriculture and used to run a ton of April through September school programs for the children. When the fur hit the fan financially and the schools took the hit, these programs were largely abandoned in rural communities leaving ESL qualified professionals without work and the volunteers looking for something else to do.

MSU is known for it's ESL and Special Ed teachers.

Also, needing more Spanish speaking teachers might lead to an easier immigration path for some people from these countries.

Absoutely, and an ESL devoted charter school run by Oakland University should not be out ofthe question either. Many people would consider MI an odd place to find ESL teachers due to our location. But, we have a lot of migrant workers in agriculture and used to run a ton of April through September school programs for the children. When the fur hit the fan financially and the schools took the hit, these programs were largely abandoned in rural communities leaving ESL qualified professionals without work and the volunteers looking for something else to do.

Let me preface by saying that my understanding is that crossing into Mexico is not extremely difficult. Yes, there is border patrol but it isn't a heavy presence. People crossing need to be concerned with robbers/criminals that are out to rob/hurt/take advantage of them.

As for the children, there are a few different scenarios playing out here. Some of the children are crossing with family members who are not their parents. For example, an aunt or cousin who has cared for a child since the child's parent went to the U.S. decides to head north to meet up with the parent. When this group is caught, the child is classified as an unaccompanied minor.

Others are teens anywhere from 13-17 years old. Many of these have chosen to make the journey of there own, either because they have family in the U.S. or because they want to help their family back home. (Obviously there can and often are other factors.). These teens are also classified as unaccompanied minors.

Then there are the ones that were believed to be traveling with coyotes and abandoned when the Border Patrol was thought to be near by. They are usually traveling with a group, and the whole group gets left to be found by USBP.

In some cases, immigrants can get Asylum (not sure if that's what they call it) from the Mexican government. This allows them to travel through Mexico freely. Although, Mexican officials will and do deport people. What I am not positive about is if this is specifically for them to travel through or if they could essentially become legal immigrants in Mexico.

This is very much the case. There has been a lot of mention about la bestia in this thread. La bestia is a train that immigrants traveling through Mexico tend to hop on illegally. The roof is usually covered with hundreds (thousands?) of people. Every year, many people fall off/under the train and lose limbs or their lives. Aside from bodily harm, riders have to fear bandits that get on and rob them, bandits/other travelers that attack or rape them, kidnappers, etc. Authorities know fool well that immigrants are traveling on this train. They do little to stop or protect them. Throughout their trip in Mexico, immigrants must continue to deal with criminals that are out to rob them and coyotes who are not a savory bunch and often rape the women.

Further more, they also face discrimination. There is a lot of negativity towards Guatemalans, who are often looked down upon. I also noticed there was a lot of hatred towards Salvadorians, but never was able to figure out what the reasoning was.

If you have any specific question, you could PM me. I am happy to answer any questions I can.

Thanks, ohdanigirl. Your answers help to flesh out what I was wondering about specifically how children travel into and through Mexico. :)