Menu

Asperger's: need recommendations

Asperger's and Girls edited by Tony Attwood

http://www.amazon.com/Aspergers-Girls-Tony-Attwood/dp/193256540X

It was recommended at an autism conference I attended at Emory. It has articles about how Asperger's presents differently in girls in our society. It has some excellent insight, but if they know nothing of the syndrome, they may want to read general books first and then read this more specific one. (It does deal with some more sensitive topics like relationships, including physical ones. Not comfortable topics, but I think important ones to protect girls from being victims. Definitely for adults, not the 9yo.)

Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD, Asperger's...and more by Martin Kutscher (good introductory book and covers comorbid tendencies/diagnosis)

Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders--written for kids

Anything by Tony Attwood is probably wonderful. He thinks highly of Liane Holliday Willey, but I am not familiar with her books. I think I've heard her interviewed or read some of her articles. It's worth looking into her stuff.

My son liked All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome.

Jennifer Cooke O'Toole has been interesting when I've heard her interviewed. I don't have her books, but they might be a good resource as well.

I highly recommend The Coffee Klatch Special Needs Talk Radio network--they have archived shows and podcasts. Bright Not Broken is one of the shows that has a lot of ASD/Asperger's information (particularly in the gifted population if that is helpful in this situation), but it's worth it to sift through shows from the whole network.

If she lives in the states, some states have autism scholarship opportunities (Ohio is one). The one in Ohio requires a public school IEP, but you take that IEP and the scholarship money to any provider on the scholarship list for services. It can be combined with homeschooling.