Menu

Florida Virtual School: AP CS?

I have not, but in 2009, I investigated FLVS AP courses.  I sent an email:

Can you provide any statistics on the percentage of student who complete the AP classes that:
(1) Take the AP exam
(2) Receive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I received this response:

I am going to have to round off a bit on the percent of test takers. About 60% (a little less I think - maybe 58%)  of our AP students took the exam.  Of those:
14.7% made a 5
20.3% made a 4
20.3% made a 3
22.1% made a 2
22.6% made a 1

If you would like to give me a call we can provide some more complete data depending on the circumstances and your need.  We will be glad to assist.

I did not ask for any class in particular, but I imagine they have the statistics for the AP CS course.  I would request more information before I paid $800.

HTH!

I have not, but in 2009, I investigated FLVS AP courses.  I sent an email:

I received this response:

I did not ask for any class in particular, but I imagine they have the statistics for the AP CS course.  I would request more information before I paid $800.

HTH!

Thanks so much.  I never thought a vendor would be so forthcoming.  I'll give them a call after the holidays.  ETA: ...and report back to this thread for everyone's benefit.

Just an FYI that the numbers taking the AP exam may have changed as FLVS now requires students to sit for the AP or else they don't receive AP credit.  This doesn't affect the OP, but folks looking into FLVS AP courses will want to know this generally.  

And that score distribution,  :svengo: 

Lisa

Has anyone used Florida Virtual School for AP CS?  It looks like it's $800 for the course, but it isn't clear what kind of feedback the student receives.  

It would probably be cheaper to take an online Community College Computer Science 101 class as a DE!  Find one in your state that is transferable to the main state university (even if not going there). 

There are MOOCs and other free/almost free alternatives out there.