Menu

Help--Need Goodie Bag Idea for DD's Bday Party Tomorrow

umsami

So, we're having DD's 7th bday party tomorrow at Chuck E. Cheese's as well as moving this weekend. I'm super frazzled, which is why I chose Chuck E. Cheese's.

What's one thing I can give out in lieu of a Goodie Bag? Or should I just buy the Chuck E. Cheese ones?  

Help.

Her cake is a Frozen cake…but honestly, there is no theme.

There will be boys and girls at the party.

I was thinking of a package of those fun Crayola crayons at Target that have different themes, like Rock Star or Princess….but I really don't know.   For one of my sons, we did bags of Big League Chew and sports themed pencils.

I need something cheap and easy, people…but preferably not a throw-away.

When we still did goodie bags I would sometimes find the little coloring books for .50 or one of those mini game books.  I would give those out with a box of crayons and it usually worked fine.  If I was going really fancy I also included a small box of raisins or a bag of goldfish with a small bottle of water. 

Good luck with the party AND the move!!!  :)

Get the mega-pack of freezer pops in the plastic tubes- toss a few in each goody bag. (they'll have to be FROZEN, get it?)  make up some snack-size baggies of blue & white plastic beads and elastic for make-your-own bracelets, or find cheap ones ready-made. Toss in a sheet of Frozen stickers. If you canfind $1 mini nail polishes get them in Frozen colors. Try Sally Beauty. Wintergreen candy or gum.

I don't do goody bags.  The party is the goody. :leaving:

I never understood kids needing goody bags, especially when the party is at an entertainment venue--isn't getting admission to laser tag, Chuck E Cheese, waterpark, etc. enough?

Plus goody bag contents, no matter what you fill them with, often don't get used beyond the ride home from the party venue.

Since you are already dropping a wad of dough on the Rat, any prizes the kids win there can be the goody. Enough is enough with goody bags!

The one "real" birthday party I ever threw ( we mostly stuck to family parties) I had the kids do an ice breaker craft of decorating visors with fabric paint, glue-on decorations, etc., which by the end of the party had dried enough to go home as the "goody" . You do not have time or space at the Rat to do this, though.

Ps Rat refers to Chuckie Cheese, of course. Shudder. You are a better mom than I am, I refused to ever willingly set foot in that place!

We don't do goodie bags, we decorate $2.50 shirts from Michael's. The kids can at least wear those as PJs, and once you have the paint, you can use it year after year after year. Also, kids rarely get to decorate T-shirts, so it is special.

Thanks everybody.

Yes, I know about Chuck E. Cheese's…but as far as a no-hassle, no effort on my part birthday, it works.  We're doing it on 4th of July early, which should (crossing fingers) be uncrowded.

I thought about just doing the party is your goodie bag.  That might be what happens.  :)  Still, some really good ideas.  My Mom suggested giving out the $2 bills as a keepsake or a $5 gift card to Barnes & Noble…but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to the bank or B&N in time.  I like the idea of a less throw-away thing, though.

I don't do goody bags. The party is the goody. :leaving:

Yes, this. I think it's sad that kids expect them now. We don't do them either and I'm sick of explaining to party guests that there will be no goody bags.

If you have to do something, a box of crayons would be much nicer than a bag of plastic that'll just end up in the trash. You could print out some coloring pages to hand out with them? Or buy some balloons and each kid gets one.

The best "goody" I ever did was the $5 t-shirts from the Disney store.  (It was a Phineas and Ferb themed party - the only themed party we've done - and they just happened to have shirts available to match.)  The party was 3 years ago and kids we know still have the shirts.  

If I were you, I would feel comfortable skipping the goody bags.  The venue is more than enough.

I have done a candy like Rolos, and wrapped them in tissue paper, with the ends frayed out to look like old candy wrappers (or New Years party crackers).  I tied them with curly ribbon and honestly they look super cute and are easy for the kid to take home.  The thing I like about doing Rolos is that they are easy to share with the family in the car on the way home and they are easy to portion out by the parent if they like to limit candy. 

Kind of like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=party+crackers&rlz=1C1FDUM_enUS478US478&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9IC1U8vXMouUyATl-oKoBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=787&safe=active&ssui=on#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=zITLJ-oUC2rn3M%253A%3BWmeiE4j6uMnJRM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcraftsbyamanda.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F01%252Fpreschool-party-crackers-600.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcraftsbyamanda.com%252F2014%252F01%252Fpreschool-valentine-party-cracker.html%3B600%3B600

I never understood kids needing goody bags, especially when the party is at an entertainment venue--isn't getting admission to laser tag, Chuck E Cheese, waterpark, etc. enough?

Plus goody bag contents, no matter what you fill them with, often don't get used beyond the ride home from the party venue.

I agree! I hate goody bags. I hate giving them (so much $$ after I've already spent so much on the party!) and I hate when my kids receive them (they are most often junk).

But I get that there is an expectation. I wish I were strong enough to not care.

I'm like you: I don't like giving away junk. One year I found a great deal on Mudge books. About a boy and his dog. If I'm going to bother w/ a goody bag I'd rather give something real than junk.

Moving and a birthday?! Holy guacamole!

Alley

Live fish or the crackers? I do some pretty elaborate goodie bags, but never a live animal. However, hex bugs make awesome goodie bag fodder. I love hex bugs. (I am probably hated by goodie bag haters around the greater Atlanta area, I am thinking after reading this thread.)

Just don't do goldfish. Goldfish became a bit trendy down here. We went to a few parties with goldfish as the goody bag. There were issues I hadn't even thought of. :tongue_smilie: Don't do goldfish. :)

We did CEC right before a move too...it was fun! We've also been on the receiving end of a live goldfish too...ugh!

Regarding treat bags...are you giving out tokens? You can do goody bags first. Craft stores sell little pouches in the wedding aisle...you could put tokens in a pouch with a "thanks for coming!" tag. Kids could use the pouches for their tickets as they play games.

Eta: put each kids name on the tag too.

Skip the goodie bags entirely; most are full of cheap trinkets and sugared crap and/or cost a fortune anyway.  I always tossed most of the crap my kids got in goodie bags because it was either cheap junk they didn't play with, sugar and not much else, or loaded with some kind of cheap, toxic dye.  I weaned myself off the goodie bag habit years ago, and no one seems to care about it at all.  Liberating.  And cheaper.  If you must, on your way to goodie-bag liberation, give something, then get a fancy, extra large cookie and wrap it up in beautiful cellophane with a ribbon. I also liked the freezie pop idea someone had upthread - my kind of goodie - quick, cheap, and useful.

Live fish or the crackers? I do some pretty elaborate goodie bags, but never a live animal. However, hex bugs make awesome goodie bag fodder. I love hex bugs. (I am probably hated by goodie bag haters around the greater Atlanta area, I am thinking after reading this thread.)

Yes I mean real live fish, not crackers.  I should have clarified!  Sorry!  And I cannot imagine why anyone thought this was a good idea but it was very trendy here for a bit.  Ugh!  Just Ugh!

How about since it is 4th of July...The light wand thingys kids love to hold while they watch fireworks??  They have them in red/white/blue at our Dollar Tree.Or giant suckers?

I also don't think a goody bag is necessary at CC.  We decided to do bags when we had a CC party because everyone expects them, it seems.

So, went to Target and got the crayons (as previously mentioned) as well as one of the $1.00 big boxes of Skittles.  Will tape together.  Goodie Bag solved.

I also got some nice bangles from World Market to hand out for the girls.  They are not plastic, but the normal metal Indian/Pakistani ones.  I got them in a light ice blue and silver, so they kind of go with the Frozen cake.  $3.99 for 10 or 12 bangles.

I really like the idea of the cheep freezer pops. Take two or three unfrozen pops and tie them together with some curling ribbon. You could add some kind of cutsie tag if you want, but I wouldn't bother.

Or you could get some of the plastic glow sticks/bracelets/necklaces to send home in honor of the 4th of July.

I'm like you: I don't like giving away junk. One year I found a great deal on Mudge books. About a boy and his dog. If I'm going to bother w/ a goody bag I'd rather give something real than junk.

Moving and a birthday?! Holy guacamole!

Alley

When my oldest was 4 he had a Henry and Mudge party. His request and what he meant was that he wanted the same party Henry has in one of the books. So that's what we did and the favor was a copy of the book for everyone. 

I agree that you don't need goody bags but if you feel it's necessary I think crayons are fine. I like the plastic glow stick idea. Temporary tattoos could be fun and usually easy to fine. 

So the big hit of the party were the bangles from World Market.

Everybody liked the Goody Bags (crayons, big box of skittles, and a punching balloon plus bangles for the girls.

We had three people who didn't show.  One had RSVPd that she was coming and bringing her three sons as well, so I ended up paying for four additional kids.  That bugged me, but I realize things happen.  Just let me know before the party starts, OK?

Two never RSVPd.  Not sure what is worse.  Not RSVPing or RSVPing and not showing.

Real pet peeve of mine.

Still, DD had a great party.  Chuck E. Cheese was dead, so she had it almost to herself and her friends.  It was a good party, and she said it was the best party ever because her best friend showed up. :)

So the big hit of the party were the bangles from World Market.

Everybody liked the Goody Bags (crayons, big box of skittles, and a punching balloon plus bangles for the girls.

We had three people who didn't show.  One had RSVPd that she was coming and bringing her three sons as well, so I ended up paying for four additional kids.  That bugged me, but I realize things happen.  Just let me know before the party starts, OK?

Two never RSVPd.  Not sure what is worse.  Not RSVPing or RSVPing and not showing.

Real pet peeve of mine.

Still, DD had a great party.  Chuck E. Cheese was dead, so she had it almost to herself and her friends.  It was a good party, and she said it was the best party ever because her best friend showed up. :)

:lol:

I always thought the goody when you went to a Chuck E. Cheese party was getting that cup of coins and getting to pick out whatever lame ticket prize you got at the end.

I'm glad it went well though.  Crayons and World Market bangles sounds way better.

When my son was little I labeled his bins to keep myself organized. The labels said things like "cars" or "animals." One day he finally learned to read well enough to read his bins. He stormed into the living room and demanded to know why there was a bin labeled "goodie bag crap." He was so mad. I STILL think it's funny.

I always thought the goody when you went to a Chuck E. Cheese party was getting that cup of coins and getting to pick out whatever lame ticket prize you got at the end.

I'm glad it went well though. Crayons and World Market bangles sounds way better.

I would consider the lame ticket prizes the take-home treat and be done with it.

I always hand out a book based on the birthday theme in place of a goody bag.  You can buy paperback chapter books on amazon for around $4 and easily tailor which book you give to each kid based on age (we often have multiage parties).