Menu

Those that have regular meal times - do you have snack time too?

Tohru

My children always seem hungry an hour or so before lunch so they'll find something to munch on, then they aren't really eating lunch.  I try to do an afternoon snack, but most days I forget or we're too busy so every one is grumpy and incredibly hungry at dinner time, which is around 5:30 every day.

If you have regular meal times, do you have regular AM and PM snack times too or do you offer snacks throughout the day?

similar schedule as PP's

breakfast when waking (7)

snack (around 10)

lunch (around noon)

snack (around 3)

dinner (around 5:30)

But two of my kids are in high-energy sports so I never deny them food, even if it means putting off dinner.

I've found that "snack" tends to be a very variable menu that includes cheese, nuts, or leftovers and sandwiches. It looks more like a small meal. 

Any meal or snack tends to be healthy foods so even if they're putting off dinner because of their late-afternoon snack, that late-afternoon snack was carrots and hummus, not Goldfish crackers and juice. (Though my kids would LOVE if it were Goldfish crackers and juice...)

We've never had a scheduled snack time but they are always welcome to eat fruit, veggies, cheese/crackers, and nuts. They usually are always at the table eating fruits and veggies while I am cooking dinner. I don't have a problem with that as it's all healthy. Mine are now 14 and 12 but it's been this way for a very long time.