Menu

Because we often discuss the issue of college debt...

Jane in NC

Most of the schools offered ds fixed merit amts.  At high $$ schools with avgs of 3-5% increase, the deficit between the scholarship and actual COA would definitely be an issue.

We started to love awards which contained the wording "the amount of tuition" bc the increased costs would be covered.

Most of the schools offered ds fixed merit amts.  At high $$ schools with avgs of 3-5% increase, the deficit between the scholarship and actual COA would definitely be an issue.

We started to love awards which contained the wording "the amount of tuition" bc the increased costs would be covered.

Good point. 

At some public unis, there have been token increases in tuition and massive increases in fees. This is why I like the IPEDS website that gives (for me) a clearer picture of all of the costs and what the average student pays. 

Our daughter received an appallingly horrible merit aid award this year. It had three parts -- two department scholarships and a $20K "we want to have you on campus" award that all totaled to a full ride. So what's not to like about it?

Due to 13 gen ed requirements and a VERY bizarre credit transfer policy (no credits taken before high school graduation will be accepted, though ones taken after are accepted easily), there is no way dd could double major AND graduate in four years. She would have to give up one of the department scholarships.

Since the scholarships were for a set amount and did not go up with tuition increases, between the increases and her most likely having to drop the double major after freshman year, a full-ride scholarship ACTUALLY translated to about $25K for sophomore year plus increases for junior, and senior year!

So read the fine print!!!!!

Our daughter received an appallingly horrible merit aid award this year. It had three parts -- two department scholarships and a $20K "we want to have you on campus" award that all totaled to a full ride. So what's not to like about it?

Due to 13 gen ed requirements and a VERY bizarre credit transfer policy (no credits taken before high school graduation will be accepted, though ones taken after are accepted easily), there is no way dd could double major AND graduate in four years. She would have to give up one of the department scholarships.

Since the scholarships were for a set amount and did not go up with tuition increases, between the increases and her most likely having to drop the double major after freshman year, a full-ride scholarship ACTUALLY translated to about $25K for sophomore year plus increases for junior, and senior year!

I am not so sure about that credit transfer policy being "bizarre".  A number of colleges seem to have a "no double dipping" policy--either the credit applies to high school or to college, not both. 

My son's LAC made graduation in four years a selling point.  He began his first year of college in 2010 when the recession was really hitting public uni budgets. We heard all sorts of stories of students who could not graduate in four years because there were insufficient seats in required classes due to cutbacks.  Of course, YMMV with double majors and other complexities.  But indeed the fine print needs to be read.

Given that the college in question gives generous AP credits, I do think the "no double-dipping" policy is bizarre. I mean, what is AP but getting college credit for a high school class that is LIKE a college class? All AP credits involve "double-dipping".

So if they give generous AP credit, why wouldn't they give credit for standard classes taken at a considerably HIGHER-RANKED 4-year college (not a community college) in which the student received an A? (Not giving credit for Calculus I and Calculus II? Be real!) That is no more double-dipping than AP is!

BTW, I have no problem with a school being fussy about what it gives credit for. I transferred from a highly-ranked LAC to a top engineering school, and I am VERY thankful my math and science credits did not transfer! I just question a much lower-ranked college refusing to give credit for standard college classes taken at a higher-ranked college. The funny thing is that if the student had taken the related AP class instead of the class at the 4-year college she would receive credit. That makes NO sense!

Given that the college in question gives generous AP credits, I do think the "no double-dipping" policy is bizarre. I mean, what is AP but getting college credit for a high school class that is LIKE a college class? All AP credits involve "double-dipping".

So if they give generous AP credit, why wouldn't they give credit for standard classes taken at a considerably HIGHER-RANKED 4-year college (not a community college) in which the student received an A? (Not giving credit for Calculus I and Calculus II? Be real!) That is no more double-dipping than AP is!

BTW, I have no problem with a school being fussy about what it gives credit for. I transferred from a highly-ranked LAC to a top engineering school, and I am VERY thankful my math and science credits did not transfer! I just question a much lower-ranked college refusing to give credit for standard college classes taken at a higher-ranked college. The funny thing is that if the student had taken the related AP class instead of the class at the 4-year college she would receive credit. That makes NO sense!

In your case I agree with you because of the college you used for classes, but for many DE classes, their AP equivalent is much tougher AND capped off by a nationwide test score to substantiate what was learned compared to all others taking the same test.

My guess is the college in question didn't care to do a case by case consideration, but rather, just wanted a blanket policy.

What's curious is why they allow transfer students to come in with similar cc credit and don't bat an eye - or maybe they do?  It's not like the course content changes assuming the courses were taken on the college campus and not one of those "college in the high school" classes.

How does a student not double dip if they are dual enrolled? Is it the circumstance where the course is not used to satisfy a requirement for the high school diploma?

Yes. It is how our ds ended up being allowed to de in classes he wanted vs. a having to select off a pre-approved list. Since he had already met all math and science high school requirements, he could de in any math/science he wanted provided he had the pre-req.

That is not the case with most de. Many kids are using de to satisfy a history or English credit for both high school and earn college credit. (Though Gwen is absolutely correct. APs are double dipping, so it seems like an illogical argument.)

Yes. It is how our ds ended up being allowed to de in classes he wanted vs. a having to select off a pre-approved list. Since he had already met all math and science high school requirements, he could de in any math/science he wanted provided he had the pre-req.

That is not the case with most de. Many kids are using de to satisfy a history or English credit for both high school and earn college credit. (Though Gwen is absolutely correct. APs are double dipping, so it seems like an illogical argument.)

Although when my son applied to college back in '09/'10, we were seeing a number of schools limit AP credits, in some cases just using AP for placement purposes.

Obviously colleges are free to establish whatever sort of policies they choose.  Many also limit online credits, for example. 

Regarding transfer credits:  it is far easier to transfer credits where there is an articulation agreement.  For example, the NC CC system has such an agreement with the UNC system, but I would not expect out of state colleges to accept credits on a one to one basis.  I also think that transfer credits are often easier for enrolled students who are taking courses outside their major.  For example, my niece was a International Studies/French double major in college who had a hard time finding a seat in a basic econ class given that a major specific course conflicted schedule-wise.  She made arrangements to take the class at a CC during the summer. 

Maybe registrars need to be bribed? :D   I don't know..

And you don't know what will happen in year 2. At least several excellent students from the high school where I taught went OOS with good financial aid, and then were offered significantly less for year 2. Their families couldn't pay more, so they ended up having to come back home and reapply to in-state schools. 

Not commenting on the particulars of anyone's situation because it is complex and there are many different factors that can happen.

But, I did want to mention that in some of the situations I've seen where students transferred for financial reasons it isn't something I would personally consider a big surprise. Quite a lot of families go on the "wing and a prayer" approach to college financing. They know they only have savings for the first year or two at the higher priced option but it is where their student really wants to go and they don't want to say no so they figure after that somehow it will work out. Maybe they think their earnings will go up. Or maybe the student will find scholarships. Or, maybe once they don't have savings they will get more financial aid. "Whatever happens honey we'll work it out..." If you are a person who plans it can be hard to wrap your head around, but what I just described is really, really common for families to have no idea how they will pay past the first year or two.

Also, sometimes people say the reason is financial because it is the quick and easy thing to say. Better than to say "he got homesick and wanted to be by his girlfriend" or "her grades were only so-so and we didn't want to pay more that school if she doesn't love it" or "we didn't like the choices he was making and thought he wasn't responsible enough to be away from home" stuff like that.

I don't want students to be afraid to go out of state thinking that financial or merit offers are random. There is a lot that can be done to research the typical behavior of the financial aid office at the school and understand the conditions of the merit award and make sure they are realistic.

There are some schools who are sort of known for a "bait and switch" type of approach with regard to Financial Aid. Not naming any names, but that reputation can exist. More is given for the freshman year than in subsequent years. Grants go down and self-help (via increased work study AND the expectation of increased loans) goes up. Yes, I realize that one must file a FAFSA every year and the amountof FA is subject to change given changes in financial circumstances, but I do think some schools play this game. This is why getting the most MERIT aid is the best way to go because it is usually guaranteed for four years as long as certain standards are maintained.

There are some schools who are sort of known for a "bait and switch" type of approach with regard to Financial Aid. Not naming any names, but that reputation can exist. More is given for the freshman year than in subsequent years. Grants go down and self-help (via increased work study AND the expectation of increased loans) goes up. Yes, I realize that one must file a FAFSA every year and the amountof FA is subject to change given changes in financial circumstances, but I do think some schools play this game. This is why getting the most MERIT aid is the best way to go because it is usually guaranteed for four years as long as certain standards are maintained.

Or for those students who need a lot of financial aid and are top students, apply to the extremely generous top colleges.  They're not the ones doing the bait and switch, but just a few rankings down and you'll find those who claim to meet 100% but don't, and are likely to offer even less aid after the first year.   If you can't afford what they offer for the first year, the situation is unlikely to improve in subsequent years.

Yes. My daughter had an acceptance from another OOS school that would have meant a lower COA than the one she chose, because it included housing.... just for the first year. It would have cost more than the school she choose for the second year without the housing allowance.

My son received merit aid that was guaranteed for four years provided he jumped through a couple of hoops (maintaining credit hours, for example).  Other merit aid offers were presented in similar terms.  This is probably the key difference between financial aid (need based) vs. merit.  Family finances and the whims of financial aid officers can change the former; the latter is grade dependent.

Her merit aid had a number of parts. The biggest parts are guaranteed for four years with some hoops that she plans on meeting. There were smaller awards that were just for freshman year. 

How does a student not double dip if they are dual enrolled?  Is it the circumstance where the course is not used to satisfy a requirement for the high school diploma?

My daughter took DE classes her senior year. To the best of my knowledge only one, one of the two sophomore brit lit classes she took, satisfied a requirement for graduation from her  public school. Some of the others - psychology, art history, computer science, world history (she had this in HS already), etc, may have filled an elective need, but I think she already had enough of those by senior year. She knew what college she was going to attend, and she picked the classes that would fulfill its general education requirements. However, in her case double-dipping wasn't an issue, and her OOS school gave her credit for all her DE classes and AP classes as they told us they would when we visited her junior year. 

I understand your reluctance, but I wish people would name names.  I find it interesting that college are treated with kid gloves when we would blast a restaurant or dry cleaner who used deceptive practices or didn't live up to expectations. 

Not intended as a ding against you.  As my kids get older, I find myself watching what I say online more.  But I do wish that colleges would be judged as a business providing a service, and may be doing a good or bad job of it.

But, I did want to mention that in some of the situations I've seen where students transferred for financial reasons it isn't something I would personally consider a big surprise. Quite a lot of families go on the "wing and a prayer" approach to college financing. They know they only have savings for the first year or two at the higher priced option but it is where their student really wants to go and they don't want to say no so they figure after that somehow it will work out. Maybe they think their earnings will go up. Or maybe the student will find scholarships. Or, maybe once they don't have savings they will get more financial aid. "Whatever happens honey we'll work it out..." If you are a person who plans it can be hard to wrap your head around, but what I just described is really, really common for families to have no idea how they will pay past the first year or two.

I was thinking about this very thing.  Different families have different approaches, and I respect that.  

My oldest was with a friend last night, and I chatted with the parents when I came to pick him up.  They're targeting an expensive away school.  They're going to "make it work" one way or another for their oldest.  Other kids are coming behind.  Said kid doesn't have a major in mind, but likes that school.

On the other hand, we're paranoid.  Our income likely will drop significantly while one of ours is in college, not sure when, but certainly by the time both are in college.  I don't want to go all out for one and not the other.  I'd like to minimize debt for my DC because I've seen what that does down the road sometimes.  

Different approaches, for sure.  In ten years we'll see what it all looks like.

I don't think all families know how to read their financial aid offers, either. They act like student loans and work study should be deducted from the total cost. I'm not sure what they are thinking. Yes, the differential is the parent portion, but both of the others are being paid out of pocket one way or the other.

I wonder how much online classes have reduced the need for TAs for lower division courses. I know that some of the courses I've taught in the past, both as a grad student and as an adjunct, are now offered primarily online with much of the material prepared in advance and computer-done/scored exams. I'd imagine one faculty member or grad student could supervise multiple sections with about the same workload that a single live section would take.

I understand your reluctance, but I wish people would name names.  I find it interesting that college are treated with kid gloves when we would blast a restaurant or dry cleaner who used deceptive practices or didn't live up to expectations. 

Not intended as a ding against you.  As my kids get older, I find myself watching what I say online more.  But I do wish that colleges would be judged as a business providing a service, and may be doing a good or bad job of it.

Sorry, I do no expect people to name names on a public message board.  Perhaps some people prefer more anonymity?  But I do think that there is another situation here as well.  We sometimes report anecdotes as they have come to us which might only be part of the story as reported by neighbors or work colleagues. One might say they have heard of cases where such and such happened but it is another thing to say that Rah Rah U is known for its practices when we may be missing a piece of the anecdote (like a change in EFC, a change in the student's GPA, etc.)  I have reported some simple facts like Boston University offered my son the smallest aid package of any school to which he applied.  This has been echoed by almost everyone else on these boards who had a kid applying to BU. 

I wonder how much online classes have reduced the need for TAs for lower division courses. I know that some of the courses I've taught in the past, both as a grad student and as an adjunct, are now offered primarily online with much of the material prepared in advance and computer-done/scored exams. I'd imagine one faculty member or grad student could supervise multiple sections with about the same workload that a single live section would take.

Our state unis are suffering from cutbacks.  I had lunch this week with a friend who is a part time lecturer at the regional university.  I was shocked when she told me that she has sections of 75 students without a TA to assist her.  The consequence is that she gives multiple choice tests graded by scanning. 

Her case is the classic one these days:  some universities and many community colleges are not hiring sufficient full time faculty but rely on underpaid part time lecturers and TAs in the case of the former.

Another of my friends left his professorship position at this uni and is now at a well known private college in the Northeast where he teaches fewer courses each semester (smaller class sizes too) and has more time for research and grad student supervision.  (Sorry, not naming names for the sake of anonymity!)

Sebastian, one of the ways you can see how a college handles financial aid is to look at the percent of students awarded financial aid and the average percent of aid.  These numbers are available for freshmen and for the total student body.  When the percent is high for the freshman and considerably lower for the total student body, you've probably got one of those bait and switch situations.  You may notice a lower graduation rate than you'd expect for the caliber of the school as well.  Then you can read student reviews on several sites and look specifically for comments on student aid.  Often times you'll hear students needed to transfer for financial reasons, or they had to move off campus, work more hours, and are living on ramen noodles.  Some colleges even have a food pantry for the students who are often going hungry.   Another clue about how the college treats their students is to take a look at alumni donations.  Some colleges graduate students with incredible earning potential, but despite their large incomes they don't support their alma mater.  

Yes, one of the community colleges I work for has huge online program.  Everything is pre-loaded, and adjuncts are hired to grade and answer questions.  The exams in my sections are a combination of multiple choice and short answer, and about 4/5 of the homework is computer-scored and the rest is hand-scored. Because it is mostly automated, they can justify larger sections.  It ends up being very cost-effective in the long run for them, although they do run into the state-mandated hours limit for adjuncts.  In my state, adjuncts can only teach 12 hours a semester total across all state institutions.

And you don't know what will happen in year 2. At least several excellent students from the high school where I taught went OOS with good financial aid, and then were offered significantly less for year 2. Their families couldn't pay more, so they ended up having to come back home and reapply to in-state schools. 

Yes, I've heard of several cases like this.  And also fixed-amount aid that didn't rise with the increases we've seen over the last few years at virtually every school we're aware of.  I got caught that way myself at a private school that raised everything by 20% two years after the aid was awarded.  I also changed majors to one that wasn't a strength there, so I transferred to a state school I could afford.  Even without aid the first year, it was significantly cheaper.

Sorry, I do no expect people to name names on a public message board.  Perhaps some people prefer more anonymity?  But I do think that there is another situation here as well.  We sometimes report anecdotes as they have come to us which might only be part of the story as reported by neighbors or work colleagues. One might say they have heard of cases where such and such happened but it is another thing to say that Rah Rah U is known for its practices when we may be missing a piece of the anecdote (like a change in EFC, a change in the student's GPA, etc.)  I have reported some simple facts like Boston University offered my son the smallest aid package of any school to which he applied.  This has been echoed by almost everyone else on these boards who had a kid applying to BU. 

I have seen so much happen via kids at school to know there really isn't an "always true" situation, therefore, I hate condemning a school based on hearsay.  I will sometimes do so with "tends" or "I've seen," but even NYU - notably super stingy on most message boards - gave the best financial package to one young lady at school.

My general advice is that if you like a school, apply to it and see, since you never know - just don't fall in love with any school if finances are an issue.  And have either a good financial safety or two and/or a Plan B.

I will name names. Two schools in Michigan...Spring Arbor University and Saginaw Valley State University. The first, though a Christian University, has some highly unethical financial aid and business department practices including holding parent payment checks for a week or two, claiming the payment was then late, and charging large late fees. We know a number of families that have had horrid problems with the business office. Another pet money maker is holding up the distribution of scholarship money at the beginning of the semester and then charging interest on the balance due when it was their fault the whole time. All three of our nieces , one nephew, and four students from our church have all had this happen.

The second school, SVSU has a reputation for two things. The first is handing out generous merit aid and then giving those students the last registration window so all of the needed classes are full. The second is changing the program requirements in the junior or senior year. Notorious. Legally, they can only hold the student to the requirements of the catalog he or she began under unless the major is medical and the state changes something. But, the students usually don't get anywhere arguing with the administration. So they go an extra year. I have known three families that hired lawyers to go after the school for the costs of the 5th year. They also routinely admit 33%-50% more students than they have staf and faculty to handle so the administration offices give offthe vibe that they are running a circus.

I will name names. Two schools in Michigan...Spring Arbor University and Saginaw Valley State University. The first, though a Christian University, has some highly unethical financial aid and business department practices including holding parent payment checks for a week or two, claiming the payment was then late, and charging large late fees. We know a number of families that have had horrid problems with the business office. Another pet money maker is holding up the distribution of scholarship money at the beginning of the semester and then charging interest on the balance due when it was their fault the whole time. All three of our nieces , one nephew, and four students from our church have all had this happen.

The second school, SVSU has a reputation for two things. The first is handing out generous merit aid and then giving those students the last registration window so all of the needed classes are full. The second is changing the program requirements in the junior or senior year. Notorious. Legally, they can only hold the student to the requirements of the catalog he or she began under unless the major is medical and the state changes something. But, the students usually don't get anywhere arguing with the administration. So they go an extra year. I have known three families that hired lawyers to go after the school for the costs of the 5th year. They also routinely admit 33%-50% more students than they have staf and faculty to handle so the administration offices give offthe vibe that they are running a circus.

According to IPEDS, the two schools you mention have graduation rates of 57% and 39% respectively.  Just sayin'.

Wow, when I declared my major, I filled out my major form, it was signed by me, my advisor, the head of the department, and the registrar. It was dated stamped when it was received by the registrar. It has the catalog year and the expiration year. It's such a simple form really. How awful for those students. 

• 3 weeks later...

Question for you, and slightly off-topic.  Since you are in NY and we may move back there:  Can a homeschooled high school student dual enroll in NYS without issues or difficulties, or does the state have unreasonable restrictions or hoops to jump through?  If not, can a homeschooled high school student dual enroll in an out-of-state online class without NYS interference or difficulties?

Our CC is open to DE in almost anything the high school senior wants..but they do limit the enrollment to seniors who are out of appropriate courses at their zoned high school. NY requires SS and English in 12th grade...college bound students here take either AP or DE on the high school campus to satisfy those reqts.

I am not sure I see it as double dipping. I see it more as the local teacher's union prohibiting top students from officially accelerating...most of these students could have entered college for 11th grade...seems like they are using the successful completion of DE or AP as the test out for Regents level courses that dont culminate in a Regents Exam. In math, they do officially substitute calc test results for Regents exams in Algebra, Geo, and A2 in districts that allow math accel.Seems to me that middle schoolers could test out of Regents US History and English, and skip 12th grade...a few districts here do that.

According to Student Reviews, the percent of students who would choose not to return is 66.7 and 55.3 respectively.  

Explains a lot doesn't it!

Some schools, like MTU will have a lower four year rate because a high percentag of students take a year of study abroad and then come back to do an intenship for a year and to that number, add the top 25% of the class who generally sign up for their five year program which is accelerated honors college 

that upon graduation the student has both a BS and a MS. They guarantee the lower credit hr. tuition for the grae school coursework and extend all merit aid one more year. It's a great deal, but skews their graduation numbers.

This is not what it happening at the two schools I outed. So buyer beware at those two institutions!

Our state unis are suffering from cutbacks.  I had lunch this week with a friend who is a part time lecturer at the regional university.  I was shocked when she told me that she has sections of 75 students without a TA to assist her.  The consequence is that she gives multiple choice tests graded by scanning. 

Her case is the classic one these days:  some universities and many community colleges are not hiring sufficient full time faculty but rely on underpaid part time lecturers and TAs in the case of the former.

Another of my friends left his professorship position at this uni and is now at a well known private college in the Northeast where he teaches fewer courses each semester (smaller class sizes too) and has more time for research and grad student supervision.  (Sorry, not naming names for the sake of anonymity!)

I do understand why people might want to keep their comments general.  And that stories might rapidly veer into hearsay as they are repeated 3rd and 4th hand.

I'm definitely not saying that internships have no value.  On the contrary, I think they are extremely useful when placed properly.  I just wonder what happens when "everyone" (or close to it) has one and there are still more qualified people than jobs.

First, our country decided "everyone" (used loosely, but I suspect most know what I'm talking about) needs a college degree. Without one, forget applying for many positions. Now many are thinking they need more than a BS/BA.  Internships are being pushed a bit (at least at private schools).  What's next?

We may have as many jobs in this nation, but the types are changing - more retail and service industry - which don't pay nearly enough to live on (in general).  The truly "life sustainable" jobs are getting more competitive IMO.  This has its perks (less mediocrity as per other thread), but there are downfalls too (more in debt to get those higher degrees - more working unpaid to get those internships).

Dh works at a large state university. He feels that the next thing coming is certification programs. He has seen several of the schools at his university develop various types of special, related certificates which students can pursue via some of their electives and a hybrid, in-school internship type of program. This, in addition to advanced degrees and ample other summer internships.

For example, dd is interested in business and marketing. She will attend the uni where dh works, and apply for admission into their School of Business. There, within the School, she may pursue a certification in Sales and Marketing. Certainly, she will be seeking internships for her summers, and for her, working in retail at a local level can possibly be construed as

"industry research" if she can get accepted into some fast track to management program.

I could be wrong, but I have also had two other professionals (one in engineering and one in education) mention that dd should look into certification programs if she wants to stand out when it comes time for job interviews. Just some food for thought.

Dh works at a large state university. He feels that the next thing coming is certification programs. 

I suspect you're correct.  I can see it being similar to how engineers need to pass a couple of tests to practice engineering, except that to start with other disciplines, it will be voluntary.  I suppose it could stay voluntary with just everyone doing it rather than akin to engineering where it is mandatory to practice.

Nonetheless, I suspect you are right - more certification to support the degree (that is supposed to be certification!).

I could be wrong, but I have also had two other professionals (one in engineering and one in education) mention that dd should look into certification programs if she wants to stand out when it comes time for job interviews. Just some food for thought.

One of my bosses hired me right after the interview because of certifications on top of my degree. His reason was that if I could cope with evening/weekend classes to get industry related cdrtification then I would be able to cope with picking up more certifications when clients require. Internships are compulsory where I came from, certifications are common but not widespread.

I was in engineering and that company paid for all the field engineers to attend the entry level Project Management Institute certification course.