Menu

X-post:Remediating Math problem solving for an 8th grader after poor test score

I got the results of ds' Stanford Achievement test 10 Adv. 1/A for 7th grade. Awesome in everything except a couple of subsets in math. His worst was math problem solving with a below average score. Yes we used TT but I'm not sure this is the problem, as his math procedures section was well above average. Specifically it was number sense and operations, pattern, relate., and Alg. Not sure what to make of this. Ds is dyslexic and math has always been the hardest for him. He is very visual and TT has helped him make leaps and bounds in math. I recently gave him a Saxon placement test just to see, and he tested into Algebra 1/2 and into Horizons pre algebra. I am utterly confused. :confused1: I need to remediate him for problem solving for sure, but not sure how to go about it. I thought maybe continue with TT pre algebra but add in horizons or lials?

Math Procedures is hard, hard, hard for my DS with dyscalculia/dysgraphia/dyslexia. For 8th grade SAT-10, he scored PHS for Problem Solving and in the 11th grade range for Math Procedures. We used mostly HOE, MUS Pre-Algebra, and a McDougal-Littell Pre-Algebra text.

I have considered MUS pre-algebra. Hoe looks intriguing. Is there one thing you think helps the most?

I started following recs from a book by Ronit Bird when DS was late 5th grade.  RB covers numbers sense and the 4 basic functions.  I am not recommending you run out and pick up an RB book, BTW.   DS used MUS Epsilon and Zeta too.

I can't reliably say what has been the most helpful.  HOE goes on sale over at the HS Co-op.  I purchased the deluxe kit, and DS really enjoys it.  DS receives extra time on the SAT-10 and uses a basic 4 function calculator where it is allowed.  Supposedly all students are eligible to use the calculator for one portion of the test.  Definitely check out HOE.  ETA..And when I say that DS struggles, he really struggles.

Random thoughts:  I would supplement with something for the problem solving.  Just generally, TT seems to have a reputation for being clear on procedures but relatively weaker on problem solving.  However, aside from that, problem solving may involve several different skills, not the least of which is making inferences as well as other reading comprehension/language processing skills.  So, what to do may depend on your ds's strengths and weaknesses.

Others may have better advice for what to use, though one resource that comes to mind is Fan Math Process Skills in Problem Solving http://www.singaporemath.com/Heuristic_and_Model_Approach_s/151.htm

eta, there may be more suggestions in this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/507607-best-math-program-for-teaching-word-problems/

Yup, don't ditch TT since it is doing well for his computation and has his testing appropriately into other curricula.  (the next logical step after TT7 is pre-algebra and he's testing into that with other programs, which means conceptually he's fine)  Probably the net effect of Heather's work with those programs is to spend time one on one with her ds connecting language and how to attack the problem.  (what operations, how to set it up, how you know what to use)  That thought process is going to be lacking somewhat in TT.  They're going to do some of it, but obviously your ds needs more help.  Like Heather, I'm finding Ronit Bird to be AWESOME, though obviously I'm using it with a younger target age dc at this point.  

One book a friend shared with me that is super cool is Crossing the River With Dogs.  He's at just the right level for it, so you might pick up a copy and just integrate it (or something similar like wapiti is saying, anything for problem solving strategies) into your weekly routine.  

Yup, don't ditch TT since it is doing well for his computation and has his testing appropriately into other curricula.  (the next logical step after TT7 is pre-algebra and he's testing into that with other programs, which means conceptually he's fine)  Probably the net effect of Heather's work with those programs is to spend time one on one with her ds connecting language and how to attack the problem.  (what operations, how to set it up, how you know what to use)  That thought process is going to be lacking somewhat in TT.  They're going to do some of it, but obviously your ds needs more help.  Like Heather, I'm finding Ronit Bird to be AWESOME, though obviously I'm using it with a younger target age dc at this point.  

One book a friend shared with me that is super cool is Crossing the River With Dogs.  He's at just the right level for it, so you might pick up a copy and just integrate it (or something similar like wapiti is saying, anything for problem solving strategies) into your weekly routine.  

Thank-you for pointing that out.  

Even though MUS and HOE each have a video component, I spend a fair amount of time (like every lesson) sitting with DS and working through problems.  I would do that no matter what math program we use due to son's dyscalculia.  

This was my gut feeling about not ditching TT. I knew it was working for him but just not enough in his particular weak area. My middle ds is doing MIF and I am awed by how well it teaches problem solving for word problems. I think I may pull some of those textbooks out and work some of the problem out with him on a whiteboard. I do also have some of the FAN-math books. Not sure what level would be appropriate.

Off to look at Crossing the River with Dogs.

Thank you for the recommendations. :)

Thank-you for pointing that out.  

Even though MUS and HOE each have a video component, I spend a fair amount of time (like every lesson) sitting with DS and working through problems.  I would do that no matter what math program we use due to son's dyscalculia.  

Bingo.  I don't think it's about a magic program but about Mom sitting there and getting the dc's brain to connect with the math.  Magic Mom I guess.  :D

Bingo.  I don't think it's about a magic program but about Mom sitting there and getting the dc's brain to connect with the math.  Magic Mom I guess.   :D

I agree.  I kept running into issues because DD does NOT want me sitting near her while she works on math, but she is finally coming to accept that she NEEDS me to sit near her, she NEEDS us to work as a team, etc.

I agree.  I kept running into issues because DD does NOT want me sitting near her while she works on math, but she is finally coming to accept that she NEEDS me to sit near her, she NEEDS us to work as a team, etc.

It's the age, ugh.  They pull away and want to go faster.  Also, does she have word retrieval issues?  As the math got harder for dd and the language more complex, it got harder for her to talk about it.  We ended up putting all the words on an index card by the board so she could find them rather than remembering, ugh.  You could even make little visuals with magnets on the back (subtraction, addition, division, fraction bar, etc.) and then use them to point and run through ideas as you draw out the math story on your board.

It's the age, ugh.  They pull away and want to go faster.  Also, does she have word retrieval issues?  As the math got harder for dd and the language more complex, it got harder for her to talk about it.  We ended up putting all the words on an index card by the board so she could find them rather than remembering, ugh.  You could even make little visuals with magnets on the back (subtraction, addition, division, fraction bar, etc.) and then use them to point and run through ideas as you draw out the math story on your board.

Definitely partly her age, but also her personality.  She is more like DH, she needs space and hates feeling crowded.  Although I didn't clue into this right away, I finally realized that for her it is easier to feel anonymous in a classroom full of kids than at a table with just one other person.

And yep, right again, word retrieval issues and I tend to talk a bit.  It overloads her working memory, I think, when I am still talking while she is trying to process.   I like the flash card idea and visual queues with magnets on the back.   Barton works well for DD because so much communication between student and tutor is non-verbal.  I am trying to find ways to do that with math, too.  She does like having a multiplication grid to fill out and I keep a chart of all numbers in numerical and written form in her math notebook so she isn't working on trying to remember the spelling of the word, just needs to remember the number.