Menu

IQ tests

Night Elf

How can an adult find out their IQ? Who would give an IQ test, or where can one be found?

In my hometown, there

are child counselors who are qualified to

administer these tests. I emailed them and

it was $475. The guy said that teens don't

usually take them---they take the ACT instead.

Ha.

But if you call counselors they probably know where

to direct you, for an adult.

ETA: We didn't have DS take the test--it was too much $.

But this might have been just these counselors.

In my hometown, there

are child counselors who are qualified to

administer these tests. I emailed them and

it was $475. The guy said that teens don't

usually take them---they take the ACT instead.

Ha.

But if you call counselors they probably know where

to direct you, for an adult.

ETA: We didn't have DS take the test--it was too much $.

But this might have been just these counselors.

Yeah, I had ds take one. I lucked out that I knew the person qualified to give the tests so it didn't cost much. I don't remember what other tests she gave him but there were a couple.

I've never had an IQ test of my own though.

I had DS tested for LD's and the tester said he does adults. A friend took her boys just for the nonverbal IQ test and it only cost her $50 each child.

As an adult I have some medical issues and needed to see a neuropsycologist for a full work through. Covered by insurance. I have a $30 copay for each visit.

If you remember your SAT score, you can get a guestimate here

I'm sure that mine is an overestimate based on that chart. The SAT that I took tested primarily verbal intelligence. Processing speed and working memory would be somewhat relevant as well but it's primarily verbal comprehension. But there is almost nothing on an SAT test that tests perceptual reasoning.

If someone has a stronger perceptual reasoning score than verbal score, the SAT equivalent is going to seriously underestimate their abilities. Likewise, if they happen to have a strong verbal comprehension, the SAT equivalent is going to overestimate.

OP, a psychologist can administer an IQ test. It usually costs several hundred dollars. Are you just curious or is there a specific reason you need it?

OP, a psychologist can administer an IQ test. It usually costs several hundred dollars. Are you just curious or is there a specific reason you need it?

Oh, just curious. It was easy to have the kids tested but I didn't know how adults go about it.

I'm sure that mine is an overestimate based on that chart. The SAT that I took tested primarily verbal intelligence. Processing speed and working memory would be somewhat relevant as well but it's primarily verbal comprehension. But there is almost nothing on an SAT test that tests perceptual reasoning.

If someone has a stronger perceptual reasoning score than verbal score, the SAT equivalent is going to seriously underestimate their abilities. Likewise, if they happen to have a strong verbal comprehension, the SAT equivalent is going to overestimate.

I agree. That chart bumped me up at least 10 points higher than I probably am. I imagine my 790/800 verbal score explains that. I was just very well prepared for the SAT and very strong in vocab and reading comprehension. My husband is probably underestimated on this chart, and he did even better on the SAT than I did.

If there is a university near you that has a clinical psychology or educational psychology doctoral program, you may be able to get tested by a student relatively inexpensively. I wouldn't recommend that for individuals suspected of having LD's and/or being more than just moderately gifted. But for a curious adult it would likely be sufficient.

http://www.us.mensa.org/join/testing/

$40.

The verbiage says the tests are "not to quantify intelligence."  But, they use one of the standard IQ tests, and give you the number.  There had been a lawsuit against Mensa by a group of people that were annoyed that an extremely profitable and easy source of income was being offered for such a low price.  So, I suspect that explains the verbiage.  The lawsuit has been decided and Mensa can now give out the numbers again.  They don't mind if people take the test who don't expect to get in.  Sometimes those people end up joining up, and usually a room has to be rented and more testers means the local group is less likely to lose money.  

I thought IQ changes throughout one's life?

ETA:

Alan S. Kaufman, clinical professor of psychology at the Yale University School of Medicine:

"There's no such thing as "an" IQ. You have an IQ at a given point in time. That IQ has built-in error. It's not like stepping on a scale to determine how much you weigh."

http://www.livescience.com/36143-iq-change-time.html

I thought IQ changes throughout one's life?

ETA:

Alan S. Kaufman, clinical professor of psychology at the Yale University School of Medicine:

"There's no such thing as "an" IQ. You have an IQ at a given point in time. That IQ has built-in error. It's not like stepping on a scale to determine how much you weigh."

http://www.livescience.com/36143-iq-change-time.html

I don't know.  Mine's been the same number from second grade through my adult life.  Of course, that's just anecdotal, but I've always found it interesting.

Mine is on my high school transcript. Which is handwritten so obviously old. Maybe you have one too?

Oh, it's probably on there and I'm not interested in taking the test again as I do remember mine. I was just wondering if it's still normal for kids in public school to take an IQ test (without going to an outside organization and paying a fee). Seems it's not! DS took one in middle school but that was private. In public high school all he took was some career aptitude test, looks like DD will be taking that too.

Interesting, both the GRE table and the SAT table came up with the same approximate IQ value, which is the same as what we got when I took the long test w/ a psychologist when I was a kid, and the same as other tests taken as an adult.  I took both the GRE and SAT with zero prior preparation, which I think also makes it more in line with my aptitude.  I think extensive test prep skews the results.

I don't know. Mine's been the same number from second grade through my adult life. Of course, that's just anecdotal, but I've always found it interesting.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much variation over a lifetime unless something drastically changed, either for good or ill.