Menu

Tragic News

JoJosMom

Heard this on NPR this afternoon.  Was surprised actually and sad for the families.  No parent should bury their child… but a violent, unexpected death is all the worse.  

I worry about the repercussions.  Five Palestinians were killed before they found the bodies.  500 imprisoned.  How many more parents will grieve a death of a child or loved one?

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."  

(Which I've read can be attributed to various sources.) 

So sad :( I was really hoping the boys would be found alive.

I really hope both sides behave with restraint.

That would be glorious, but I have doubts, unfortunately.  One side killed three teenagers in cold blood and the other has all the big guns, and now very little public pressure not to use them (nor much history of not using them).

Heard this on NPR this afternoon.  Was surprised actually and sad for the families.  No parent should bury their child… but a violent, unexpected death is all the worse.  

I worry about the repercussions.  Five Palestinians were killed before they found the bodies.  500 imprisoned.  How many more parents will grieve a death of a child or loved one?

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."  

(Which I've read can be attributed to various sources.) 

Yes, it's sad for many people. I feel terrible for all of the families dealing with this.

edited to fix wording.. both sides isn't a good way to put it but it's hard to word these things.

Did Hamas claim responsibility for the murders?  I thought terrorist organizations generally do. I know the situation is sensitive over there, but surely it's premature to blame Hamas if Hamas doesn't even say they did it?  Pretext for more killing?

When I heard about it, the first thought that jumped into my mind was "Oh, man, sounds like a serial murderer" or some sicko. 

The latest I heard was that Hamas has not claimed responsibility, in fact some sources say they denied they were involved. However, the organization has in the past had people "operate" on their own thinking it would be sanctioned by Hamas...and then there were those times when Hamas denied involvement in the face of of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Either way this proves to be (if we'll ever know), it's bad any which way.

Did Hamas claim responsibility for the murders?  I thought terrorist organizations generally do. I know the situation is sensitive over there, but surely it's premature to blame Hamas if Hamas doesn't even say they did it?  Pretext for more killing?

When I heard about it, the first thought that jumped into my mind was "Oh, man, sounds like a serial murderer" or some sicko. 

That was my thought as well, that a 'regular' murder was a possibility but one that was unlikely to be considered after the public declaration that Hamas was responsible. 

umsami, that's a great quote. 

Well, Hamas doesn't function like the kind of terrorist organization that you may be thinking of. It is the elected government for the Gaza Strip, for instance. So for Hamas to claim responsibility would be an invitation to war. Israel tends to hold Hamas responsible for what happens in their territory as well. (Not sure where these teens were kidnapped or why Hamas is implicated. )

My homeschool study of the Middle East (just so you know it's self-study; I'm no expert) is that these things between Israel and Hamas  go round and round. If the responsibility for the murders was Hamas or an organization they are affiliated with, it's likely that there was something else that happened to Palestinian youth, etc. that hasn't been as widely reported and the murders of the 3 are retaliatory. There is rarely restraint shown on either side. And in rare cases when the official leaders of the parties are showing restraint, radicalized elements within the country/territory, etc. have historically done something to blow the situation up, often literally.  My understanding of Israel's view is "make them pay big time and it reduces the chances of these things happening the next time."  It's already started.  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28112696

"Overnight, Israel launched more than 30 air strikes on facilities linked to militant groups in the Gaza Strip after 18 rockets had been fired into Israel since Sunday night, the Israeli military reported." 

You'll notice that Israel is firing on the Gaza Strip where Hamas governs AND that Hamas has been firing into Israel.

This may end up in the history books as kicking off the next big round of fighting.