Menu

----- Goes Well with Saxon 5/4. [Fill in the Blank]

elmerRex

We're going to start Saxon 54 later this year (after we have a little more fluency with the math facts). What do you think complements Saxon well at the 5/4 through 8/7 level?

I was looking at this Scope and Sequence for Saxons upper elementary books and I'm thinking that it might be OK to skip 8/7 if 7/6 goes well, is that okay?

I would not skip 8/7 (assuming you're talking about the 2005 edition).  The publisher recommends that you skip Algebra 1/2 and go directly to Algebra I with a strong math student.

Saxon's strength is in the repetition.  If your student does not need the repetition of Saxon, you might want to go with another math program.  Without the repetition, Saxon becomes a mediocre math program (IMO).

For a complementary program, you might want to take a look at Singapore (either the entire thing or just the supplements) and Beast Academy.  Both give in depth practice with problem solving that is a weakness with Saxon.

Everything's Coming Up Fractions with Cuisenaire Rods

Ideal to use after you've covered fractions.

I wholeheartedly agree! I was given this book by a friend and had my daughter use it last summer as "fun math". She is SO FLUENT with fractions now- before we even reached it in MM 5. The fractions chapters in MM 5B were a breeze because she had used the rods so much the previous summer.

As far as other supplements go, I think SM Challenging Word problems would be a nice complement to Saxon.

Thanks for that recommendation, it looks great. I will look into it a little further but already I am impressed.

Another question-- does anyone know how Saxon Math Courses 1-3 fit in the scope of things?

I really like the looks of 54 and 65. It will fit my sons learning style nicely and if it works as well as I think it will then we have found our math 'niche' for the next few years but I am trying to understand the layout of the program.

I have Saxon 5/4 and 6/5 already and we are committing to 20 mos of Saxon (we school math year round)

However after Saxon 54 I am a little confused...
Course 1 is 6th | Saxon 6/5 is 6th
Course 2 is 7th | Saxon 7/6 is 7th
Course 3 is 8th | Saxon 8/7 is 8th

I am thinking of doing 54, 65 and then C1-C3 instead of 76, 87 and A1/2--is that okay?

elmerRex, 

Course 1 = Math 7/6 = 6th grade
Course 2 = Math 8/7 = 7th grade
Course 3 is 8th grade.

Keep in mind that the Course books are not officially offered to homeschoolers.  Some homeschoolers choose to buy Course 3 from 3rd party sources and use it between (Math 8/7 or Algebra 1/2) and Algebra 1.  You can read the author's opinion on this in my discussion with him on my blog. 

http://homeschoolingodyssey.wordpress.com

Yes, if you can acquire the course books, then you could do 5/4, 6/5, Course 1, Course 2, Course 3.

• 1 month later...

Why do you think you need a supplement? :confused1:

We want more geometry problems and puzzles than Saxon has in this level.

PS. English is not my main language, so is "supplement" not the best word for extraneous materials in homeschooling?

PS. English is not my main language, so is "supplement" not the best word for extraneous materials in homeschooling?

Supplement is a fine word and your usage was absolutely correct, but extraneous may not be the word you want.

Beast Academy definitely has some geometry for these grades. Even if the comic book style doesn't fit your son, you may be able to read the books yourselves and use them as a source for problems.

I haven't used these, but you may check out:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=10&category=6853

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Hands-On+Geometry/047891/a7f4eddf9bf1d80012bc93e9?subject=10&category=2619

Also, Kumon makes some elementary school geometry books, but they might not be puzzle-y enough for what you want.

http://kumonbooks.com/math-workbooks-series-for-grade-1-6/geometry-measurement-workbooks-for-grade-1-6

It is a fine word. :-) I was just wondering why you thought Saxon needed to be supplemented, as it is quite comprehensive. :-)