Menu

Seeking Advice AP Human Geography -Virtual High School

I would like DS to do AP Human Geography. I am considering Pennsylvanian Homeschoolers but have also looked at The Virtual High School course as well. VHS is NCAA approved but the Pennsylvanian Homeschoolers AP courses are not.

Has anyone used the Virtual High School? I would really like to hear about your experience.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has done AP Human Geography through an online course and was successful and happy with the experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Workl8

DD took AP Human Geography last year (Freshman) through Connections Academy.  The online course was alright but I think she would have been in trouble had she not used the DiBlij textbook.  The case studies and maps from Di Blij were essential.  We also used various online resources as well as Barrons and Kaplan.  Often the questions that were asked in the assessments were just plain wrong or impossible to answer.  For example, they would show a map that was impossible to read on the screen and then ask questions about it. 

The Barrons Flash Cards were also quite helpful.  She passed the exam with a 3 but probably because she became very nervous and froze about 3 weeks before the exam and had to cram at the end.  She and I both agreed she could have easily had a 4 or 5 had she not freaked out and had seriously studied only a few days more.

Most important tip:  Look at past exams and make sure DS knows the models.

I would like DS to do AP Human Geography. I am considering Pennsylvanian Homeschoolers but have also looked at The Virtual High School course as well. VHS is NCAA approved but the Pennsylvanian Homeschoolers AP courses are not.

Has anyone used the Virtual High School? I would really like to hear about your experience.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has done AP Human Geography through an online course and was successful and happy with the experience.

Do you need an NCAA-approved course?

I am team-facilitating a small group of three students through AP Human Geography this year (my dd, dnephew, and a third friend from their FLL team; both are public-schooled; with their moms). I wrote a syllabus which was approved by the College Board so that I can list the course as 'AP' on dd's transcript.

I'd be happy to share the books and other resources we're using if you'd like :)

Do you need an NCAA-approved course?

I am team-facilitating a small group of three students through AP Human Geography this year (my dd, dnephew, and a third friend from their FLL team; both are public-schooled; with their moms). I wrote a syllabus which was approved by the College Board so that I can list the course as 'AP' on dd's transcript.

I'd be happy to share the books and other resources we're using if you'd like :)

I'm not the poster you asked; but, I'm interested in AP Human Geography for my eldest.

Would you pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top share with lil ol' me? Thank you.

Well the price is steep for the PA Homeschoolers class, but the teacher actually has a PhD in it and is a fabulous writer.  I signed my dd up simply for that reason, crazy as it seems.  Any topic becomes engaging with a highly qualified, enthusiastic teacher. 

Thank you to all who replied to my original question. I am sorry that it has taken me awhile to return.

I decided to go with the PA Homeschoolers class as well, for much the same reasons as OhElizabeth.

I have a son interested in doing collegiate gymnastics. We are international homeschoolers and have discovered a local solution to NCAA eligibility. I would like my DS to do some AP exams on top of our national qualification to bolster his acceptance chances. :-) 

Luckymama, if you are still wiling to share your resources, I would really like to see them as well.

Thank you again.

I'm not the poster you asked; but, I'm interested in AP Human Geography for my eldest.

Would you pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top share with lil ol' me? Thank you.

We are also doing AP Human Geography this year and I would love to see your resource list, Luckymama :)

This is quoted from my syllabus:

Texts and Study Materials

Rubenstein, J. M. (2008). The cultural landscape: An introduction to human geography. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Princeton Hall.

Veregin, H. (Ed). (2010). Goode's world atlas. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Princeton Hall.

The course utilizes a wide variety of Internet sources, including the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Economist, National Public Radio (text and audio), the BBC, and Al Jazeera.

I find a large number of supplemental readings and video clips from this amazing website, Geography Education on scoop.it http://www.scoop.it/t/geography-education You can search by keyword in the upper right corner.

I went through the textbook and found supplements for each section. We're using an older (read, inexpensive) edition so some of the case studies are a little dated. I like using current examples :D

I also matched up all the past FRQs to the textbook. Each week the three kids in dd's group write an FRQ as a group activity (they're on the fifth chapter now). She will be writing additional FRQs as assignments and as part of her tests.

I adapted parts of three or four developing country projects found online into a solid, year-long project for dd. She will be applying all the concepts learned throughout the course to her specific country :)

I spent an entire week of the summer writing the syllabus for College Board approval. I'm not sure if I want to share all that work yet...