Menu

blender recommendations

mum

Yes, I'd love a vitamix, but don't have the money. I have had cheap blender in the past, it died and I'm looking for replacement. I'd pay under $100-ish. I'd like something that does a good job for smoothies.

Would love some advice. I am feeling overwhelmed with all the problems in my life/house and I am trying to fix a few of them. Thank you for any help that comes my way!

I don't use my blender very often, so I didn't need anything really pricey or heavy-duty when I was looking for a replacement. My hubby came home with a Kitchen Aid blender one day and I really like it. It works so much better than my really cheap-o one I'd had for years, and I think it will last a long time.

Guest submarines

I adore my cheap blender from Costco. http://www.costco.com/Oster-10-Speed-Die-Cast-Blender.product.100110122.html

Before I owned this one, I had a $200 blender and it was fine. When it died, I looked into Vitamix, but I just couldn't afford it. Instead I decided to buy that cheap Oster and save for a Vitamix. When I bought it, I was determined to "kill it" so that I could return it to Costco and justify buying a Vitamix.

I worked it hard. I made frozen fruit smoothies several times a day. I crushed ice for my iced coffee regularly. It worked so well that I fell in love with it. At first I thought that it didn't disintegrate spinach and kale, but the little green specks never bothered me. However, after watching a friend operate her Vitamix, I realized that I just needed to blend for longer.

After a year and a half of daily use (multiple times a day, actually) a thin plastic support "thingy" in the base broke, and I decided to replace the blender with an identical model. My old one still worked well even with the thingy broken, but I was actually worried they'd phase the blender out of production and wanted to make sure I had another one, just in case.

The current model has a more ergonomic handle. :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

The Oster Beehive blender is a workhorse that does an amazing job.  Look for an Oster with a 450 to 500wt motor.  I prefer a glass jar, but the plastic ones works just as well and are cheaper.

We still use our Oster at times, even though the Vitamix lives on our counter.  I like that the Oster jar can go into the dishwasher.  It is nice to not have to try to get all the muck out by hand washing when I make pesto and other oil/herb mixes. I also like that I can screw on a mason jar to the blade assembly to grind things like coffee beans and just leave them in the jar.  

The Vitamix is amazing, but the Oster was absolutely sufficient in every way.   We make smoothies and frozen ice drinks almost daily and the Oster never failed to deliver.