Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW27

Robin M

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, bobbyem and Robin, but back to rhubarb...

I've heard it's good with pork and in a chutney. 

Persian Lamb and Rhubarb Stew

Red Lentils and Rhubarb with Indian Spices

Actually, the lentil recipe looks good. I still have some rhubarb left. Maybe this weekend. 

OK, both of these make sense to me.  Thank you.  I'm going to try the lamb khoresh -- I adore lamb both my husband and son adore stew / tangine sorts of dishes.  Sadly, this year's crop has already been harvested and transformed into sweet pink mush, but I'm pretty sure it's still available in the grocery.

Naturally, I had to look to see what other (than food) books have rhubarb in the title.  This one actually sounds intriguing:

Rhubarb by Craig Silvey

"Meet Eleanor Rigby: tiny, blind and left behind. Led by her zealous, overprotective guide dog, Warren, she courses constantly through the places she knows. Tired, mired and sequestered from the world, Eleanor can't shirk the feeling she's going nowhere slowly. Until, of course, she recognises something in the sound of Ewan Dempsey, reclusive and compulsive maker and player of cellos, who impels in Eleanor a rare moment of caprice ..."

Then there's also ~

Rhubarb in the Catbird Seat

Rhubarb!: Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island

Lake Wobegon U.S.A.: Rhubarb (Prairie Home Companion)

Rhubarb by M.H. Van Keuren

Headin' for the Rhubarb!: A New Hampshire Dictionary (Well, Kinda)

Rhubarb  and  Son of Rhubarb

One wonders is there a Bride of Rhubarb?

Regards,

Kareni

I ordered the Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island, in part because the author's self-description cracked me up:  "David Fagan, born of nomadic Irish parents in 1958, spent his formative years in Africa, confused by circumstances beyond his control. After lunch on a Greek island day trip in 1983, he opted against reboarding the cruise boat. He has lived and worked on Hydra full-time, pursuing his alterna-tive lifestyle by any means that presented itself, since 1984. These days he lives in Kamini, a village in many ways remi-niscent of Hydra 25 years ago, the Hydra portrayed in this book. He has a keen interest in astronomy, history, Formula 1 motor racing, and international rugby; he understands the rules of cricket and has mostly forgotten how to drive...." and also because I'm just so curious how his misadventures are going to relate back to rhubarb.

Will report back soon.

(ETA photo snip:  "Dude.  Rhubarb: It's just fruit celery."

:lol: :lol:

I can't say anymore because 1. I don't know any more and 2. if I do otherwise, Robin is going to make me read a book with rhubarb in the title.

EXACTLY!  Thank you!

And I don't have to worry about Robin's consequences, because I've already committed to reading a book with rhubarb in the title.  

(Er, well... I've already committed to adding a book with rhubarb in the title to my long list of unread Kindle titles.  At least.)

Soggy Jane reporting.  We have had about four inches of rain  so far which is really not a big deal for those of us accustomed to tropical storms.  It has been breezy but the winds have not been too bad through the afternoon. They will strengthen through the evening. I fear that the Outer Banks may be getting nailed.  Arthur is expected to become a Cat II storm and make landfall there.

Bookwise, I am in a Mediterranean frame of mind.  I finished the Turkish novel I mentioned earlier, then read a graphic novel after lunch, The Property by Israeli cartoonist Rutu Modan. Here is the NPR review of the book from last summer.

Then I started reading Extra Virginity:  The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil (and no it is not about the old Popeye cartoons. ;)  )

I'm currently several time zones from home. It's rather a nice feeling to check in here and see all the posts carrying on as usual. Realizing this has become a home of sorts, a literary one.

Got a chunk of reading done on the plane and am nearing the conclusion of 'The Firebrand'. Lots of battle scenes right now but because this is told from a women's point of view the grit of the battles occupies a place that is mitigated by the presence of the wives, daughters, sisters, lovers, Priestesses, and Amazons.

Next book is supposed to be 'The Golem and the Jinni' as per ds's request but I just realized it's another 600 pager. I may slip in a shorter book before that while he's out adventuring ;)

Jane, stay safe & dry. It's now sunny here in Charleston. Some rain & wind earlier today, but nothing much. Surfers out enjoying the higher waves, as usual.

Shukriyya, safe travels to you!

Went to the library today & picked up a pile of goodies (no way in which I'll have time to read most of them during my short stay), but started Max Barry's Lexicon a little while ago & was immediately hooked. I knew when I saw it on the shelf that I had seen it mentioned here....

Praise For Lexicon…

"A dark, dystopic grabber in which words are treated as weapons, and the villainous types have literary figures’ names. Plath, Yeats, Eliot and Woolf all figure in this ambitious, linguistics-minded work of futurism."

—Janet Maslin, New York Times

"Imagine, if you will, a secret group of people called Poets who have the power to control others simply by speaking to them. Barry has, and the result is an extraordinarily fast, funny, cerebral thriller."

—Time Magazine

"An extremely slick and readable thriller."

—Washington Post

I was able to finish House on the Strand today by Daphne Du Maurier.  It was completely different from last weeks The King's General and Rebecca which is all I remember reading by Du Maurier.  The quick description is it is a time travel book in which the main character travels back to the 14th century mentally using drugs.  The descriptions are vivid and it is engaging.  Compared to Connie Willis' time travel books in the description I am going to link.  If anyone(Negin this probably means you) thinks they may want to read this book do not read beyond the first couple of paragraphs.  Serious spoilers but the analysis of the book is well done and interesting. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/06/the-addiction-of-time-travel-daphne-du-mauriers-the-house-on-the-strand

Robin,  I am still planning to wait for Sunday on Jonathan Strange.  I have a couple of library books with holds on them to try and read so Sunday is good.

Shukriyya,  I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Jane,  I hope the storm is just about over.  One good thing about storms is the inevitability of reading lots of books.   I get excited just thinking about it!

Shukriyya,  may you have a great trip.  I have noticed more and more that recently written books have all become chunksters  and they don't  really need to be.  They could still say  all they need to say in 1 or 200 pages less than what they are published at.   I will be interested to see what you think of The Golem and the Jinni.

Stacia,  enjoy your trip as well.  I always love going to library's  in the towns/cities in which we are visiting.  It's exciting to see the different books they offer.

I was able to finish House on the Strand today by Daphne Du Maurier.  It was completely different from last weeks The King's General and Rebecca which is all I remember reading by Du Maurier.  The quick description is it is a time travel book in which the main character travels back to the 14th century mentally using drugs.  The descriptions are vivid and it is engaging.  Compared to Connie Willis' time travel books in the description I am going to link.  If anyone(Negin this probably means you) thinks they may want to read this book do not read beyond the first couple of paragraphs.  Serious spoilers but the analysis of the book is well done and interesting. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/06/the-addiction-of-time-travel-daphne-du-mauriers-the-house-on-the-strand

Robin,  I am still planning to wait for Sunday on Jonathan Strange.  I have a couple of library books with holds on them to try and read so Sunday is good.

Shukriyya,  I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

I love The Strand. It sucks me in every time.  When ever I finish reading it, I feel like I've come out of a time warp myself.

Confession #1: I've been doing zero reading this week. Dh is still away (he had to go teach a week-long class/ attend a conference in Barcelona, poor soul - with his best friend, who is also without his wife) and I am too exhausted and lonely to read. When I finally get the kids tucked in, I collapse in front of NetFlix and watch old tv reruns and try not to think about the empty bed.

Confession #2. I love rhubarb. I've been doing really well on the no-s diet and now thanks to you ladies I am obsessing over rhubarb pie.

Confessions #3-5: I've read Augustine's Confessions three times. I don't get the not-love....

Hi everyone!  Just popping in to say hello.  I just got back home from a road trip (Wow, two months went by fast!), and will be getting ready to hit the road again for the annual "My-Dad's-side-of-the-family" vacation.  This year we're off to Gatlinburg for a cozy stay in a cabin that sleeps, like, 30.  'Cause we need our space, people, if we are to stay a happy family!  (My family, my mom and dad, my Grammie, my aunts and uncles, my cousins, and all our kids.  So much fun!  No, really.  I have the best, crazy, goofy family out there.  We have a blast when we all get together.   :))

I hope everyone's summer is going well, and all are reading lots of great books!  I'm still wallowing in the Kdramas, so no books to report, but, jeeze, I've read enough subtitles to count for at least 10 chunky ones!  At least!   :lol:  (My family thinks I've gone nuts, and my sweet little old grandmother, on my mom's side, asked if she was going to have some oriental looking great-grandbabies now.  Um, no Grandma, I'm happily married to my husband of almost 18 years, who is decidedly not South East Asian (although, he could pass for Western Asian. :D ), and I've finished having the babies.  I think I must talk about South Korean dramas too much.  Oh, well.  Sorry, not sorry!!)

Happy reading, everyone!!!!

This is pretty off topic but I am considering reading Jerusalem after my Bill Clinton's favorites last week and ran into this article while researching.  Thought some here would enjoy it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1352842/Jerusalem-hymn-British-national-anthem-says-Simon-Sebag-Montefiore.html

FYI There are tons of recordings of the hymn on youtube if anyone is not familiar.  I don't remember it before our move.  Sing it frequently now at many events (weddings, funerals, public contcerts.....) as well as our church still uses it.

Well, in an interesting twist our heroine Kassandra is the one warrior who is able to fell Achilles rather than her twin, Paris. She achieves this with a single venom-tipped arrow to the heel, the only part of Achilles not protected by armour. And she undertakes the task in what could be described as a trance, donning the sacred apparel of the Sun Lord, Apollo. And it comes after a desperate series of days of combat which ends in the death of Hector and rather gruesome display of his body.

I will likely wrap up this book today, if I can find time between fireworks and barbecues. Happy Interdependence Day, everyone.

Happy 4th of July. We'll be celebrating tonight by having a fun time at Golfland Sunsplash immersing ourselves in arcade games while our neighbors enjoy putting off their really really loud illegal fireworks. As spock says, the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. I could go all mama bear on them but decided to let it go.....Until 11:00, then mama bear's claws will come out.

Robin  :grouphug:   Totally understand the mama bear impulse, though is the noise of an arcade better than the noise of fireworks?!  Perhaps for your ds, but what about a mother's frazzled nerves?!   Halloween was always the rough holiday for my kids and I went all mama bear on a couple of neighbors.  Hard to raise sensitive boys sometimes...

Hate the illegal fireworks around here, especially with the surrounding brush being sooo very dry. It just sets me on edge. The neighbor most guilty of shooting off the illegal fireworks is the policeman's family across the street!  

Almost finished with Silkworm, the new Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) mystery.  I've got it on audio and have been busy with a jigsaw puzzle and the hand applique portion of a quilt while listening.  I'm annoyed, with an hour left, with what I think is going to happen at the climax of the story, but I'll not post any spoilers!  And I could be way, way wrong.  It is a good, readable mystery, though. I love the detective and his assistant. 

Robin  :grouphug:   Totally understand the mama bear impulse, though is the noise of an arcade better than the noise of fireworks?!  Perhaps for your ds, but what about a mother's frazzled nerves?!   Halloween was always the rough holiday for my kids and I went all mama bear on a couple of neighbors.  Hard to raise sensitive boys sometimes...

Funny how that works, but he loves the arcade versus he has a flight or fight response when it comes to fireworks.

:grouphug: Robin

I am waiting for both the Silkworm and the Martian.  Everyone here (BaW) has been so enthusiastic about the Martian that I finally joined the queue for this one even though it is pretty far from my normal taste by description. 

I did read one of my need to return books next week.  It was called Lost for Words and is a parody based on the Booker Prize process.  The author has been short listed in the past.  http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/01/lost-words-edward-st-aubyn-review It started off being really entertaining, lol type, but went down hill at a pretty constant rate. If I hadn't wanted to know what "won" I may very well have stopped but because it was quick reading I finished.  I have never read anything else by St. Auban and almost requested the start of his famous series as I laughed through the opening pages but won't bother right now.  Maybe someday ........  I have to say that I now seriously wonder how many of the books the each of judges actually read. :(  By the way I did give it a 3 in the end because I totally enjoyed the start,  it just got old and a bit boring.

Jenn, I'm only about 1/4 through Lexicon by Max Barry, but I think I can already say you would like it. Giraffe mentioned it too & I'm thinking Mental Multivitamin recommended it...??? Thinking there may have been a couple more BaWers who read it?

Is The Silkworm a stand alone book?

As in most mysteries, it works just fine as a stand alone book. There is enough back story sprinkled throughout as needed to help a first time reader.   It is the 2nd title, however featuring the private detective Cormoran Strike.  If you are a linear kind of gal, you may want to read Cuckoo's Calling first, but it isn't necessary.  

Thank you Stacia for the Lexicon recommendation!

Number 7 looks awfully enticing to me.  (As regards the books near the bath, all I can think of is the resulting moisture issues. And what about changing the sheets on those bed-nooks?  Perhaps I'm too much of a realist!)

Regards,

Kareni

What a fun collection of photos!  Looks like Yorkshire lucked out with some lovely weather for the start of the race, at least. 

I am happy to say per the current forecast it should be nice until 3 tomorrow which is the finish in Sheffield.  We watched the start but the dc's had been hired to ring at another church and dh and I had a local gala to attend.  Bought a dozen perennials which dh helped me get in the ground this afternoon. Here at least a local village Gala is the same as a village fete (ithink that is how cozy mysteries spell it). Never been to a fete or seen one advertised......we have the race recorded and will watch later tonight. :)

On the book front I finished my kindle overdrive book this morning.  The House on Tradd Street which is the first in a series set in Charleston (thought of Stacia) which is about historic houses and a realtor who can see ghosts.  Fun and light so will read the rest.

ETA: I found it! That was quite a bit more difficult than I had expected (cough...DRM..cough) :blink:.

Technical question:

I know some of you use Calibre to convert Kindle format e-books. Can someone explain to me how you do this?

I bought a Kindle collection of Sir Walter Scott novels, but I need to convert it to epub for my Kobo reader.

I have searched everywhere but I can only download it onto my ipad or (dh's) iphone and I want to download it to my computer.

There should be some trick for it, but I can't find it. :confused:

I was updating my reading notebook, adding Rutu Modan's graphic novel, The Property, when I went off to the Internet to find the translator's name.  In the process, I came across this bit in the Guardian.  There are five pages from the artist/writer's sketchbook.  I thought it was interesting to see her process.

By the way, the translator's name is Jessica Cohen.

Oh, and a bit of Modan from a Paris Review piece: