Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW27

Robin M

This collection of book end-papers makes me want to start collecting old books just for the sake of enjoying the artful bindings.  I was thinking this anyway after reading the book I mentioned last week, The Bookman's Tale, which lovingly details the uses of book binding tools and all that goes into restoring old books.

By the way, Jane, I love that pillow!  I have a similar color of sock-yarn that is waiting for me to get started!  I'll be thinking of you when I finally get started and have to face turning the heel.  It's been years since I last knitted a sock...

Jenn, have you read Geraldine Brooks's, People of the Book? I've had it in my shelves for a while, even started it a couple of times but couldn't quite sink into it. I haven't given up on it though because I love the idea of the story. It might be something you'd like. I do remember some fascinating and lyrical descriptions of the making of books centuries ago.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This collection of book end-papers makes me want to start collecting old books just for the sake of enjoying the artful bindings.  I was thinking this anyway after reading the book I mentioned last week, The Bookman's Tale, which lovingly details the uses of book binding tools and all that goes into restoring old books.

Lovely. Thanks for the link!

Jenn, have you read Geraldine Brooks's, People of the Book? I've had it in my shelves for a while, even started it a couple of times but couldn't quite sink into it. I haven't given up on it though because I love the idea of the story. It might be something you'd like. I do remember some fascinating and lyrical descriptions of the making of books centuries ago.

Oh, I loved that book. It alternates chapters between present day (the book restorer & her story) & the history of the illustrated Sarajevo Haggadah. Imo, the chapters with the history of the Haggadah were incredible & I really loved those. The modern story parts were ok -- I guess that's how the author chose to move the story along.... Anyway, a fascinating look at a piece of history & the lengths people of all races & religions will go to in order to save works of religion & art during turbulent times. It was a nice reminder to have faith in humanity, I think. Definitely recommended!

Oh, I loved that book. It alternates chapters between present day (the book restorer & her story) & the history of the illustrated Sarajevo Haggadah. Imo, the chapters with the history of the Haggadah were incredible & I really loved those. The modern story parts were ok -- I guess that's how the author chose to move the story along.... Anyway, a fascinating look at a piece of history & the lengths people of all races & religions will go to in order to save works of religion & art during turbulent times. It was a nice reminder to have faith in humanity, I think. Definitely recommended!

Stacia, your description reminds me why I put the book down, the modern story was weak, her writing specifically. However I found the historical chapters very engaging, enough that I'll likely pick it up again when I find some time within my 5/5.

Stacia, your description reminds me why I put the book down, the modern story was weak, her writing specifically. However I found the historical chapters very engaging, enough that I'll likely pick it up again when I find some time within my 5/5.

You could always just read the historical chapters & skip the modern story. Really, all the modern story part did was provide a 'clue' (a hair, a wine stain, etc...) that would be the segue into the next historical chapter....

By the way, Jane, I love that pillow!  I have a similar color of sock-yarn that is waiting for me to get started!  I'll be thinking of you when I finally get started and have to face turning the heel.  It's been years since I last knitted a sock...

Jenn not sure if you would enjoy this series http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Kate-Carlisle.html by Kate Carlisle about a book binder.  Definitely cozy and light.  Need to be read in order or at least the first one first.  I have been enjoying them on my kindle from the library.

You could always just read the historical chapters & skip the modern story. Really, all the modern story part did was provide a 'clue' (a hair, a wine stain, etc...) that would be the segue into the next historical chapter....

Here's the irony, I actually bought the book in paperback a couple of years ago during a time when I rarely bought books *and* I was then given the hardcover version a year or so later. One could assume an impetus to read it with these synchronicities ;)

You've both got me intrigued!  The greater metropolitan library system here owns 34 copies of it, but not one of those is shelved in my neighborhood branch!  I put it on hold, though, and should be able to get it next week.  

Jenn not sure if you would enjoy this series http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Kate-Carlisle.html by Kate Carlisle about a book binder.  Definitely cozy and light.  Need to be read in order or at least the first one first.  I have been enjoying them on my kindle from the library.

Once again my library system strikes out!  The more recent ones are in the system, with a long line of holds for them.  I'm guessing the first few titles in the series are among the hundreds of uncataloged paperbacks, so I'll keep her name in mind next time I peruse those racks.  (More accurately, I'm going to add these to the list I keep on my iPhone of books y'all have recommended.)

Oh good - I just added that to my library list yesterday.  Looking forward to reading it.

Jenn, I meant to tell you that when I was looking at books at the friends-of-the-library sale, they had one of the bookcases organized by book color! Thought of you immediately when I saw it. :lol:  (It's just a small bookcase where they keep various books, not really organized, so I guess someone decided to try the color thing. They had one shelf of red books & one shelf of blue books. And, the other two shelves were just the regular jumble.) Guess they could have done red, white, and blue for the 4th. Might be fun. Maybe I need to volunteer there & then I could do that -- organize by color for upcoming holidays. ;) :laugh:

Giraffe,  I have missed you also!  Good to see you. ;)

I will add my vote to People of the Book.  I think it ended up in my top 10 last year.  Loved it.  I didn't even mind the switches between past and present.  Considered the bit set in New York pointless but otherwise great.

Jenn, you probably could enjoy the later bibliophile mysteries without reading the first but the cast of characters remains remarkably the same for each book considering the location switches so the first has background on everyone.  The second is set in Edinburgh so you would probably like that one.

Trying to figure out what to read next.  I just rejected a stack which is good because they can go back to the library.  I  may go ahead and try Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell in the next few days.  My copy is pretty chunky with just over 1000 pages so it will take awhile.  I ended up going on the wait list for the library kindle book and just was notified that it is available.  Need to return something to get it. :lol:  Anyway need to finish in the next 3 weeks.

Jenn, I meant to tell you that when I was looking at books at the friends-of-the-library sale, they had one of the bookcases organized by book color! Thought of you immediately when I saw it. :lol:  (It's just a small bookcase where they keep various books, not really organized, so I guess someone decided to try the color thing. They had one shelf of red books & one shelf of blue books. And, the other two shelves were just the regular jumble.) Guess they could have done red, white, and blue for the 4th. Might be fun. Maybe I need to volunteer there & then I could do that -- organize by color for upcoming holidays. ;) :laugh:

I think you definately need to volunteer.  I would love to come to a sale organized by you!

Here's an amusing blog post from the Smart Bitches, Trashy Books site. You should read the comments, too.  Be aware that there is definite adult content. 

Cover Snark: When Photoshop Goes Horribly Wrong. Again. by SB Sarah

Regards,

Kareni

Best line ever = Keep.The.PUPPY!!!

:lol:

<snip>

I started using a random number generator to pick the next dusty book on Kindle.  

OK, and this too is :lol:  hilarious...

Aww, this is a fabulous book which I truly think you would like -- all the layers and different ways that the different people of different eras and cultural and faith traditions related to the book -- if you couldn't sink into the frame story, I agree with Stacia --

--- just hang in and skim through, or outright SKIP, the modern frame story and get to the others, which really are the meat of the narrative -- the frame story is just a device, doesn't contribute to the "plot" (if you could call such a narrative a plot...)

I really liked People Of The Book. I didn't think I would, but I did.

I will add my vote to People of the Book.  I think it ended up in my top 10 last year.  Loved it.  I didn't even mind the switches between past and present.  Considered the bit set in New York pointless but otherwise great.

Aww, this is a fabulous book which I truly think you would like -- all the layers and different ways that the different people of different eras and cultural and faith traditions related to the book -- if you couldn't sink into the frame story, I agree with Stacia --

--- just hang in and skim through, or outright SKIP, the modern frame story and get to the others, which really are the meat of the narrative -- the frame story is just a device, doesn't contribute to the "plot" (if you could call such a narrative a plot...)

Good thing I put this on hold today.  Haven't seen so many recommendations coming so fast and furious in one afternoon!   I'm thinking we need to rename the thread each week to People of the Book.  Everyone (except me, for now) seems to have read it and we are people of many, many books.  I'm already planning on coming back with a review that says "I only liked the modern parts and skipped all the old bits".  

Good thing I put this on hold today.  Haven't seen so many recommendations coming so fast and furious in one afternoon!   I'm thinking we need to rename the thread each week to People of the Book.  Everyone (except me, for now) seems to have read it and we are people of many, many books.  I'm already planning on coming back with a review that says "I only liked the modern parts and skipped all the old bits".  

Feeling like I must the Old Crusty of the Dusty Book.  Definitely not one of the Nattering Nabobs of the Nook (with apologies to Bill Safire) or the Kilted Kindred of the Kindle.

I wanted to thank you, Jenn, for linking the images of end papers.  Ms. Crafty sees some uses...

I finished volume 1 of The Decameron on the airplane. Volume 2 was in my checked suitcase. :crying: See whiny post elsewhere on Chat Board.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/thousands-of-bags-go-missing-on-british-airways-flights-90363201007.html

Welcome back, VC, followed by an 'oh dear' regarding your luggage. Hopefully it will wing its way back to you sooner rather than later. I hesitate to ask if any Enid Blyton books were therein ensconced, knowing your love of them and all ;)

Everyone (except me, for now) seems to have read it and we are people of many, many books.

I'm another who hasn't read People of the Book, so you're not all alone. (And now Spamalot tunes are going through my head.)

Regards,

Kareni

Hi guys! My life continues to be surreally crazy busy. We are still in Turkey, I'm teaching a English as a foreign language, DD is going into second grade, DH is still in the US doing his PhD (where we are for the summer). I'm hoping when we get done visiting the grandparents that I can settle down a bit (yeah, right). I've had pneumonia (with hospital stay), found out I'm severely iron deficient anemic (you know it's bad when two different doctors ask you, in all seriousness, how you are able to remain standing), and vitamin D deficient. My fused spine has given me a hard time so I had the pain nerves burned off, literally, so not as much pain these days, thank goodness.

Finally finished Wolf Hall and am up to about 7 books read so far this year, which is good considering. Read Lexicon by Max Barry, a whole bunch of Silva novels (Gabriel Allon series), Shadow Of Night by Deborah Harkness, and am reading Anathem right now. Still plugging away at The Iliad but can't listen to it (audiobook) around my daughter who gets undone by violence easily.

Read People Of The Book last year and agree the frame story was basically pointless but it did provide breathing space between the stories set in the past and as a literary device it worked.

I really enjoyed Lexicon. It has grown on me and stayed with me longer than I expected. I can't wait for the third installment of the All Souls Trilogy by Harkness. And Anathem is amazing. It's my airplane book (been on a lot of those lately).

I've missed you guys! Will try to stay in touch better. Promise!

Last year in July, I wrote:

I read the first two books of a new fantasy/paranormal series by J. C. Daniels (a pseudonym for Shiloh Walker) and enjoyed them both.

Blade Song (Colbana Files Book 1) Night Blade (Colbana Files Book 2)

I was invested in the story and characters and cried at one point. Drats -- book three isn't due out until January and seems only to be forthcoming on the Kindle.  [ETA:  That book is now out in paper and on Kindle:  Broken Blade (Colbana Files).]

Here's the blurb from book 1: "Kit Colbana—half breed, assassin, thief, jack of all trades—has a new job: track down the missing ward of one of the local alpha shapeshifters. It should be a piece of cake. So why is she so nervous? It probably has something to do with the insanity that happens when you deal with shifters—especially sexy ones who come bearing promises of easy jobs and easier money. Or maybe it’s all the other missing kids that Kit discovers while working the case, or the way her gut keeps screaming she’s gotten in over her head. Or maybe it’s because if she fails—she’s dead. If she can stay just one step ahead, she should be okay. Maybe she’ll even live long to collect her fee…"

I see that Blade Song  is now free on Kindle.

Regards,

Kareni

Welcome back, VC, followed by an 'oh dear' regarding your luggage. Hopefully it will wing its way back to you sooner rather than later. I hesitate to ask if any Enid Blyton books were therein ensconced, knowing your love of them and all ;)

Actually yes, so no big loss there. But also some Galore Park books I ordered off Amazon UK, which I would rather like back.

Hi guys! My life continues to be surreally crazy busy. We are still in Turkey, I'm teaching a English as a foreign language, DD is going into second grade, DH is still in the US doing his PhD (where we are for the summer). I'm hoping when we get done visiting the grandparents that I can settle down a bit (yeah, right). I've had pneumonia (with hospital stay), found out I'm severely iron deficient anemic (you know it's bad when two different doctors ask you, in all seriousness, how you are able to remain standing), and vitamin D deficient. My fused spine has given me a hard time so I had the pain nerves burned off, literally, so not as much pain these days, thank goodness.

Finally finished Wolf Hall and am up to about 7 books read so far this year, which is good considering. Read Lexicon by Max Barry, a whole bunch of Silva novels (Gabriel Allon series), Shadow Of Night by Deborah Harkness, and am reading Anathem right now. Still plugging away at The Iliad but can't listen to it (audiobook) around my daughter who gets undone by violence easily.

Read People Of The Book last year and agree the frame story was basically pointless but it did provide breathing space between the stories set in the past and as a literary device it worked.

I really enjoyed Lexicon. It has grown on me and stayed with me longer than I expected. I can't wait for the third installment of the All Souls Trilogy by Harkness. And Anathem is amazing. It's my airplane book (been on a lot of those lately).

Wow. That's a lot to handle. Under the circumstances, seven books is great! Glad to hear you liked Lexicon. It's been on my tbr list massive pile,  but I had totally forgotten about it.

Sitting here perusing audible...can't find anything that takes my fancy. Not sure if I want fiction or non. I've listened to so many samples and nothing is doing it. OTOH I'm more than 70% through 'The Firebrand' which feels satisfying. I'm not sure I'd have stuck with it were it not for my 5/5 challenge within this group. Reading outside of my preferred genres with a goal in mind is proving to be an enlarging experience.

I finished volume 1 of The Decameron on the airplane. Volume 2 was in my checked suitcase. :crying: See whiny post elsewhere on Chat Board.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/thousands-of-bags-go-missing-on-british-airways-flights-90363201007.html

:grouphug: Can't tell you how bad I feel for you. That is one of my big returning from the US fears. I hope your books eventually show up even Blyton.

Hey, BaWers, I was looking through my want-to-read lists & stumbled across Thaliad. Wondering if anyone has read it? Plus, I wanted to mention it as it seems like it might appeal to some of the BaWers &/or your teens/tweens....

Can't seem to find it in my libraries. Dd has just finished the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. She really enjoyed it. Maybe your dd might like it.

Good thing I put this on hold today. Haven't seen so many recommendations coming so fast and furious in one afternoon! I'm thinking we need to rename the thread each week to People of the Book. Everyone (except me, for now) seems to have read it and we are people of many, many books. I'm already planning on coming back with a review that says "I only liked the modern parts and skipped all the old bits".

:lol:

:grouphug: Hope you start feeling tatally better soon. Love having you back. I didn't know the new Harkness was due out soon. I managed to put myself on the list as number 2. Yeah!

Last year in July, I wrote:

I read the first two books of a new fantasy/paranormal series by J. C. Daniels (a pseudonym for Shiloh Walker) and enjoyed them both.

Blade Song (Colbana Files Book 1) Night Blade (Colbana Files Book 2)

I was invested in the story and characters and cried at one point. Drats -- book three isn't due out until January and seems only to be forthcoming on the Kindle. [ETA: That book is now out in paper and on Kindle: Broken Blade (Colbana Files).]

Here's the blurb from book 1: "Kit Colbana—half breed, assassin, thief, jack of all trades—has a new job: track down the missing ward of one of the local alpha shapeshifters. It should be a piece of cake. So why is she so nervous? It probably has something to do with the insanity that happens when you deal with shifters—especially sexy ones who come bearing promises of easy jobs and easier money. Or maybe it’s all the other missing kids that Kit discovers while working the case, or the way her gut keeps screaming she’s gotten in over her head. Or maybe it’s because if she fails—she’s dead. If she can stay just one step ahead, she should be okay. Maybe she’ll even live long to collect her fee…"

I see that Blade Song is now free on Kindle.

Regards,

Kareni

Looks good, all downloaded. Thank you! :)

I started listening to Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How To Make Any Change Stick on Audible. Whew. I have a lot of work ahead of me. At least I have made a lot of progress on this project:

Deleted image during picture purge

Finished The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta yesterday. Kind of a new take on the Left Behind Series. I wasn't greatly impressed. If I had been reading the print version I'm sure I would have abandoned it half way through. The plot was weak and then too quickly resolved at the end.  Three stars. I think I'll be moving back to my non-fiction faves for a while.

I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I just don't care for the fantasy genre. I started listening to Night Circus narrated by Jim Dale. Should have been a winner, right? Well, three hours in and I could take it or leave it. I like to read about real people and events, especially historical fiction that feels like non-fiction, or actual history that reads like fiction. I love books about people overcoming the impossible.

Mumto2, great suggestion about the Daughter of Smoke & Bone books for my dd. She's read them all & they are in her very top faves list. When the 3rd one came out, she read it all the first day she got it. Her Brit lit teacher that she had this past year also loves that series, lol.

Shawne, what a gorgeous needlework project! Love it.

I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I just don't care for the fantasy genre. I started listening to Night Circus narrated by Jim Dale. Should have been a winner, right? Well, three hours in and I could take it or leave it. I like to read about real people and events, especially historical fiction that feels like non-fiction, or actual history that reads like fiction. I love books about people overcoming the impossible.

I do not like the fantasy genre either but I am still not at the point where I can accept it.  I keep trying to read these books in the hopes that maybe a miracle will occur and I will start to like them.  :huh:

Mumto2, great suggestion about the Daughter of Smoke & Bone books for my dd. She's read them all & they are in her very top faves list. When the 3rd one came out, she read it all the first day she got it. Her Brit lit teacher that she had this past year also loves that series, lol.

I am always on the lookout for suitable books for dd (15) to read.  I have heard about these books but haven't put them on my radar for dd.  Will suggest them to her  when she gets back from camp.

Giraffe, :grouphug:    I am sorry that you have had so much to deal with in the last little while.  I'm glad that you are back.

I finished  Bloom  by Kelle Hampton.  I liked it  but I was taken more with the photographs.  She is a talented photographer.  I am still reading  The Raphael Affair  by Iain Pears--this is slow going.  I am starting to wonder if I am missing something or if the story is just slow to start.   I am also reading   Birding with Yeats,  a memoir by Lynn Thomson recounting the bonding that takes place with her son as they spend time birdwatching together.

Well, I guess my next book will be The Golem and the Jinni. Ds is about 20% of the way through and told me he really wants me to read it so he can discuss it with me. I think I can slip this into the fairytale portion of my 5/5 with a bit of latitude ;) It wasn't what I was planning on reading next but it appears the universe is making this its offering.

Prairiegirl, fantasy is my ds's preferred genre but try as I might I just can't find my way in. We both love magical realism though so that's where we can intersect with our reading discussions. I am going to try Patricia McKillip's, The Alphabet of Thorn. I'd gotten it out of the library awhile back and dh picked it up and started reading it as I was busy with something else. He thinks I'm going to like it so I'll let you know.

I actually picked up a fiction book! I'm pretty proud of myself because I haven't been able to really enjoy fiction for a while now. It's called This River Awakens by Steven Erikson.

We also got a book at the library sale for 25 cents called The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew -- Three Women Search for Understanding by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver, and Priscilla Warner. I'm about 1/4th of the way through and I've already learned a lot. I already recommend it.

Shawne, what a gorgeous needlework project! Love it.

I suspect I must have gotten the idea for Daughter of Smoke and Bone from one of your posts now I know your dd read them.  Blush......well tell your dd they were enjoyed and given the 5* Goodreads award.  :lol:  Took a couple of months to get all three from the library.  The first took the longest.

Shawne -- Your Cross Stich project is lovely.

I think I never posted that I finished The Gowk Storm, by Nancy Brysson Morrison, last week. It's a little like Jane Austen set in 19th century Scotland, though published in 1933. Full of love and tragedy and the stark beauty of the Highlands as a recurring symbol.

I read it while we were touring the Highlands last week, and our tour guide Andy pointed out that the girl in the cover picture looks just like Middle Girl. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oV7yR_AknbY/SNovRCCys8I/AAAAAAAAD54/yLFlNUnPffA/s400/gowk.jpg

One of my vivid memories of the trip will be our return to Edinburgh, with the kilted, indecipherable Andy, determined to get everyone back in time for their trains, flying the little tour bus down the twisty roads from Glen Coe at white-knuckle speeds, playing speed metal bagpipe music. I think we all thought we would die.

While riding in the car today I started reading a really fun cozy mystery by Miranda James called the Silence in the Library.  Since so many of us loved series mysteries growing up I had to post about this book which is all about people who love Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, Cherry Ames ........ the librarian who is the series main character loves these books and is helping organize a display and activities surrounding these old series.  It is discovered that the 100 year old author of his favorite series( it is made up but there are fun excerpts) lives nearby and can come and speak, obnoxious fans surface and a murder occurs.  That is pretty much where I am in this one and loving it.  No need to read the others thus far.  Here is an article I found while making absolutely sure the Veronica Thane series was just for this book.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook-blog/memoirs-of-a-book-nerd-by-miranda-james/

Jane, your craft pillow is absolutely beautiful and Shawn, can't wait to see the finished product.

Another vote for People of the Book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and although the present bits were a bit weak, loved how they lead into the historical aspects of the story.  Well worth reading.

Sorry to hear about your luggage Violet Crown. Hope you had a great time.

Good to hear from you, Giraffe, you've been missed.    Always miss my book chicks!

Sandy, let me know when you are ready to start Jonathan Strange and I'll join in.

Here's my creative contribution for the day - am loving playing with inspire pro app

10502082_827835647227155_556591718586319

I think I never posted that I finished The Gowk Storm, by Nancy Brysson Morrison, last week. It's a little like Jane Austen set in 19th century Scotland, though published in 1933. Full of love and tragedy and the stark beauty of the Highlands as a recurring symbol.

I read it while we were touring the Highlands last week, and our tour guide Andy pointed out that the girl in the cover picture looks just like Middle Girl. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oV7yR_AknbY/SNovRCCys8I/AAAAAAAAD54/yLFlNUnPffA/s400/gowk.jpg

One of my vivid memories of the trip will be our return to Edinburgh, with the kilted, indecipherable Andy, determined to get everyone back in time for their trains, flying the little tour bus down the twisty roads from Glen Coe at white-knuckle speeds, playing speed metal bagpipe music. I think we all thought we would die.

Well, there is just so much to like about this post that it needed quoting as well as liking :D Speed metal bagpipe music indeed!

The Gowk Storm looks intriguing but alas it is not part of our library catalogue.

Hurricane party anyone?

Looks like I may be on or near the path of Arthur, currently a tropical storm but expected to become a category one hurricane at some point Thursday. I have no plans to evacuate (I usually don't for category one storms).

Knowing that wind and rain are on the horizon, we went for a pre-dinner swim followed by a beach picnic.

Hurricane party at Jane's!! I'll bring some rum, anyone have lime and orange juice?

No bathtub gin but the guest bath has been turned into a microbrewery at the moment. The Rye Pale Ale that my husband made over the weekend is bubbling away.  He's calling it "the Rye of the Storm".

Hurricane party anyone?

Looks like I may be on or near the path of Arthur, currently a tropical storm but expected to become a category one hurricane at some point Thursday. I have no plans to evacuate (I usually don't for category one storms).

Knowing that wind and rain are on the horizon, we went for a pre-dinner swim followed by a beach picnic.

Praying for you Jane. My husband's sister lives on the Outer Banks. Looks like it will just skirt by FL. We may get some rain and beach erosion but hopefully not much more. We've already had enough trees come down with the spring rainstorms.