Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW27

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 27 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 books blog - The Trial by Franz KafkaThe 21st novel in Susan Wise Bauer's list of fiction reads from her book The Well-Educated Mind is The Trial by  Franz Kafka. Kafka started working on The Trial in 1914 and the book didn't get published until after his death in 1925.  Before he died in 1924, he bequested all his papers and unfinished stories to his best friend and translator, Max Brod and requested all his unpublished works be destroyed.  Brod ignored his wishes and went on to publish The Trial in 1925, The Castle in 1926, Amerika in 1927 and The Great Wall of China in 1931.   The Trial was never completed but the last chapter does bring the story to a close.  

Synopsis:  A terrifying psychological trip into the life of one Joseph K., an ordinary man who wakes up one day to find himself accused of a crime he did not commit, a crime whose nature is never revealed to him. Once arrested, he is released, but must report to court on a regular basis--an event that proves maddening, as nothing is ever resolved. As he grows more uncertain of his fate, his personal life--including work at a bank and his relations with his landlady and a young woman who lives next door--becomes increasingly unpredictable. As K. tries to gain control, he succeeds only in accelerating his own excruciating downward spiral.

Read the beginning of chapter one on the blog or read it here

History of the World Readalong:  Chapters 26 and 27

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 26

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dove into Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian.   Also on my ipad reading ebook Mine to Possess #4 in the psy changelings series by Nalini Singh.

This week finished Shaman Rises by C.E. Murphy which was the final book in the series. Hate to see it end but can always go back and reread again.

Speaking of rereading,designating July as reread month, so pull out those fabulous old favorites

Yesterday I read Nobody (Men of the White Sandy) by Sarah M. Anderson which I enjoyed quite a bit.  It's the third book in a contemporary western romance series but the first I've read by this author.  I didn't feel disadvantaged by not having read the previous two books.

"Nobody Bodine is a nobody who came from a nobody and will always be a nobody. 

He disappears into the shadows—no one sees him if he doesn’t want them to. He exists in neither the white man’s world nor the tribe’s, dispensing vigilante justice when he sees fit. There’s no other place for a man like him in this world.

Until Melinda Mitchell shows up on the rez. From the first moment he lays eyes on her, he can tell there’s something different about her. For starters, she’s not afraid of him. She asks where his scars came from, and why he has so many. But more than that, she sees him. For the first time in his life, Nobody feels like a somebody in her eyes.

Melinda has come west to run the new day care on the White Sandy Reservation. She’s intrigued by this strange man and his tattered skin, and when she discovers that he’s a self-appointed guardian angel for the boy in her care, she realizes that there’s more to Nobody than meets the eyes. But how far will he go to keep the boy safe? And will she be able to draw him into the light."

Regards,

Kareni

My reading has taken a back seat to stripping wallpaper, but I'm still reading Greg Iles's, Natchez Burning.  It's a well written mystery/thriller and the story has been turning over in my brain all week even though I haven't had time to read.  I'm also slowly going through Wherever You Go, There You are by Jon Kabat-Zin.  It's a book on mediation. 

I should be able to get back to reading this week.  :)

I'm about half-way through The Firebrand and thankfully there was no one waiting for it on overdrive and I was able to renew it. My audible credit came available yesterday and this month I'm going to venture into the realm of fiction after 5 consecutive non-fiction selections. One possibility is Doris Lessing's, The Golden Notebook but I'm still looking about for more possibilities.

Thanks to Amy pointing out this thread I have picked up over a dozen free classics on the kindle. Mostly for ds but a few for me, too.

And finally, a question...ds downloaded The Golem and the Jinni this morning and has started reading it. He likes to have several books going at once and this is his latest accompaniment to Graves's, The Anger of Achilles and Craig Halloran's, The Chronicles of Dragon :lol: Anyway my question is for those who have read The Golem and the Jinni, is it appropriate for a tween ds? He's read a ton of Greek and Indian mytho-poetics as well as lots of the the Norse myths and western fairy tales, lots of these are stories with big, heavy and dark themes but when they have a historical and cultural context to contain them somehow they have a more homeopathic feel to them. I can't tell from either GR or Amazon what the texture of the story is with TGATJ. Any one care to help out?

I finished The Heiresses by Sara Shepard and The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison.

The first was on one of those "summer beach reading" lists and was total fluff.  The second was ok.  The reviews on the cover say it is better than Gone Girl, which I think may have been a stretch.   It wasn't good and it wasn't terrible, it just wasn't quite what was advertised. 

Next up is The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro.  Although I have three 14 day new release books making their way to me through the inter-county library system.  I may hold out and start with one of those first.

I'm about half-way through The Firebrand and thankfully there was no one waiting for it on overdrive and I was able to renew it. My audible credit came available yesterday and this month I'm going to venture into the realm of fiction after 5 consecutive non-fiction selections. One possibility is Doris Lessing's, The Golden Notebook but I'm still looking about for more possibilities.

Thanks to Amy pointing out this thread I have picked up over a dozen free classics on the kindle. Mostly for ds but a few for me, too.

And finally, a question...ds downloaded The Golem and the Jinni this morning and has started reading it. He likes to have several books going at once and this is his latest accompaniment to Graves's, The Anger of Achilles and Craig Halloran's, The Chronicles of Dragon :lol: Anyway my question is for those who have read The Golem and the Jinni, is it appropriate for a tween ds? He's read a ton of Greek and Indian mytho-poetics as well as lots of the the Norse myths and western fairy tales, lots of these are stories with big, heavy and dark themes but when they have a historical and cultural context to contain them somehow they have a more homeopathic feel to them. I can't tell from either GR or Amazon what the texture of the story is with TGATJ. Any one care to help out?

Thank you for linking to the audiobooks and classics thread. Downloaded three Henty books.    Not sure about Golem, but stacia could probably answer that.   What books would you recommend since your son has read alot of greek mythos, for my kiddo whose starting to get interesting in roman and greek mythology after reading Rick Riordan's Olympus series.  We were thinking of the Illiad but I need a version that is more reader friendly. 

I've finished books 1-16 of The Odyssey.  I read Jar City and started The Stonecutter.  I'm also almost done with The Sword in the Stone on audio book (a really great story to listen to).  I know I'm forgetting something, but not sure what.  I finished  Airman by Colfer a week or two ago. 

And another thank you for the link to the classics and audio books.  I got several of the Kindle books for free and then picked up the audio books for 99 cents each.  I mostly got ones for my ds, but I think I got one in there for me too.

Thank you for linking to the audiobooks and classics thread. Downloaded three Henty books.    Not sure about Golem, but stacia could probably answer that.   What books would you recommend since your son has read alot of greek mythos, for my kiddo whose starting to get interesting in roman and greek mythology after reading Rick Riordan's Olympus series.  We were thinking of the Illiad but I need a version that is more reader friendly. 

Ds loves Padraic Colum's various books on the Greek Myths. And Mary Pope Osborne has written Tales from The Odyssey which he first read a few years. Geraldine McCaughrean has written a quartet of books on Theseus, Perseus, Hercules and Odysseus that he enjoyed. Roger Lancelyn Green's book Tales of the Greek Heroes is a favorite. And he still *loves* to pore over d'Aulaires Greek Myths. I'm sure your ds can find something in all of this :lol:

Ds loves Padraic Colum's various books on the Greek Myths. And Mary Pope Osborne has written Tales from The Odyssey which he first read a few years. Geraldine McCaughrean has written a quartet of books on Theseus, Perseus, Hercules and Odysseus that he enjoyed. Roger Lancelyn Green's book Tales of the Greek Heroes is a favorite. And he still *loves* to pore over d'Aulaires Greek Myths. I'm sure your ds can find something in all of this :lol:

Awesome - Thank you. Looking through Padriac's Children's Homer, I can now see how Riordan's Heroes of Olympus mirrors the stories.  James read the whole series, has me reading them now and also listening to the audiobooks too.    Ordered McCaughrean's Odysseus and Padriac's The Children's Homer.  Between WWII and Greek Myths, it's turning out to be an educational summer.  

Yesterday I finished Anne of Green Gables.  It was one of the books on my "how have I not read this yet" list.  I did enjoy it but I don't know I'll continue reading the series.  I read a summary of the other books and I think it was enough to satisfy my curiosity.   Finishing Anne puts me right at 50% of my 52 book goal though. :)

Working on the devotional You Are Loved but I think I'd be better off just sitting and reading straight through instead of doing a chapter a week with the bible study.

I started using a random number generator to pick the next dusty book on Kindle.  It picked time between us for me, a YA time-travel romance. Seems like a decent enough waste of a couple of hours.

I also have Diana Gabaldon's newest book, Written In My Heart's Own Blood, tucked away in my dresser.  I've caught up by re-reading the first 7 novels but I'm hesitant to start this one knowing book 9 is years and years away.

Happy Sunday All!

For the story on how a 60 year old Turkish novel became a recent best seller in the English speaking world, you can consult the WSJ here.

The Time Regulation Institute is probably not a book for everyone.  The tale rambles and on more than one occasion I have found myself confused by the amazingly massive cast of characters and, in particular, their honorifics.

I am often amused but at several points in the book I have felt that I was taking a walk with my friend Pat.  A native of a small, sleepy South Carolina town, Pat's stories can take on a life of their own.  She just can't tell you that she rode her bike to the farmer's market. She may start at the beginning--you know, the day she acquired the bike. Or she might tell you about her previous marriage to a farmer and her memories of selling produce at a farmer's market in another state.  We used to take regular early morning walks together (45 - 60 minutes in length).  I found that when she went to the movies with her friend Jenn, she couldn't tell me about the film until I heard about Jenn's mama and crazy aunt. Often the walk would be finished and I never heard about the film!

Now I don't want to suggest that Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar rambles without a point, but I will say that there are times the foreshadowing, the antecedents, and the honorifics have me a bit tangled.  I will be curious to hear from Eliana who read this book if she felt the same way.

This novel will keep me occupied for several more days at least. 

I have broken through the craft slump, finishing a gift started a couple months ago when  I made a pillow top by piecing together bits of recycled sari squares purchased in an Oxfam shop in Canterbury last summer.  Yesterday I made piping, inserted the zipper in the back cover and assembled the pillow. I am very pleased with the result. 

Oh, Jane, hope you post a pic of the pillow. Sounds lovely.

Can't answer re: The Golem & the Jinni. It's sort-of on my to-read list. Know it has gotten lots of praise. Got it months ago from the library, but didn't really have time to read it at the time. Even so, I read the first chapter, just because I was so curious about it. But, I wasn't really pulled in & didn't really care for the writing style. So, even though it's on my tbr list, I don't feel any draw toward picking it up again. I'm pretty sure Onceuponatime &/or LostSurprise has read it????

I've finished books 1-16 of The Odyssey.  I read Jar City and started The Stonecutter.  I'm also almost done with The Sword in the Stone on audio book (a really great story to listen to).  I know I'm forgetting something, but not sure what.  I finished  Airman by Colfer a week or two ago. 

And another thank you for the link to the classics and audio books.  I got several of the Kindle books for free and then picked up the audio books for 99 cents each.  I mostly got ones for my ds, but I think I got one in there for me too.

Are you taking the Greek and Roman Mythology class too?  That's the schedule we're on.  I just finished the lectures and quiz for books 9-16 and will read books 17-24 this week.  

This is the last week for Bible Prehistory, Purpose, and Political Impact so it's the last week my classes overlap.  I'm adding to my reading wish list in anticipation of next week.

Can't answer re: The Golem & the Jinni. It's sort-of on my to-read list. Know it has gotten lots of praise. Got it months ago from the library, but didn't really have time to read it at the time. Even so, I read the first chapter, just because I was so curious about it. But, I wasn't really pulled in & didn't really care for the writing style. So, even though it's on my tbr list, I don't feel any draw toward picking it up again. I'm pretty sure Onceuponatime &/or LostSurprise has read it????

Sorry, I haven't read it. I read The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by AS Byatt, which would be terribly boring for a male tween. I think my own would rather read the back of a spork. 

I love this, Robin and have been thinking that I need to re-read books that I have loved more regularly. 

I just finished Five Quarters of the Orange - 3 Stars - I found myself slowly losing interest in this story. It kept going on and on and seemed to take forever to get to the point. I didn't particularly care for most of the characters, not that that should be the primary criteria by any means, but it doesn't necessarily help. 

9780061214608.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

I'm definitely not a speed reader, nor do I wish to be (I don't think I do anyway), but I thought that this was interesting. 

I really like this article on his 10 Rules for Reading

Negin, love, love, love that list of Teddy Roosevelt's!

Gorgeous, Jane!

As far as books, I don't have any in progress right now. I'm working on a big clean-out & culling around the house, plus this past week was the first week I really felt good, so I was catching up on stuff that needed to be done (besides reading, that is). And, we had quite a few activities & outings last week, leaving me little time for grabbing a book.

Not sure what I'm in the mood for. Just did a huge dump & return to the libraries today, many of the books in my stacks unread. Of course, even though I'm busy cleaning out stuff, I picked up 2 books from the friends of the library sale :blush: : Yukio Mishima's Confessions of a Mask and Simon Sebag Montefiore's Young Stalin. Not sure I'll start either of them soon, though....

Sorry, I haven't read it. I read The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by AS Byatt, which would be terribly boring for a male tween. I think my own would rather read the back of a spork.

So serendipitous as my ds, just this morning, asked me if I thought he'd like TDITNE. I think it was because he'd heard me waxing rhapsodic about both it and the author's writing. However told him I doubted he would because there were no battles, no quests and lots of introspection. I suggested he wait a few years ;)

I've started the fourth Flavia, I Am Half Sick of Shadows.

I did read the Golem and the Jinni. It has some  content that I would have been uncomfortable with as a tween, but I don't know what your limits are. The Golem, being female, experiences a kind of awakening to herself as a woman, part of that includes her intimate relationship with her husband. It is not graphic, but it is adult. The story was ok, but I thought the end fell flat.

[

I've started the fourth Flavia, I Am Half Sick of Shadows.

I did read the Golem and the Jinni. It has some content that I would not have been uncomfortable with as a tween, but I don't know what your limits are. The Golem, being female, experiences a kind of awakening to herself as a woman, part of that includes her intimate relationship with her husband. It is not graphic, but it is adult. The story was ok, but I thought the end fell flat.

I read Golem back in November and loved it. The best thing about it was that a previously inanimate creature grew to have a human conscious. I loved the development of the character. I vaguely remember the s*x scenes as existing. I don't think they were overly descriptive. One thing I did check before writing this was my goodreads to see if I put it on dds list. It is not there, but I think dd decided she did not want to read it after me not that it would make dd uncomfortable. Hard to remember.

Currently reading my Steampunk challenge book.  I ended up with Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster which is the first in the London Steampunk series.  It is different.  Not at all like Soulless which I loved.  This has a bit of a hopeless air about it.  The world portrayed is pretty grimm.  The ruling class all has a virus called blue blood which is sort of a controlled vampire.  Vampires also exist in a pretty feral form.  Common people are in terrible circumstances.  For all the yuk I am explaining I have to say I am reading it pretty quickly.  

Finished the latest in Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series titled Death at the Door. It wasn't the best one ever but did deserve a 3*.

Also finished my 17th Century read. I had a really hard time finding one.  I ended up with The King's General by Daphne Du Maurier and enjoyed it greatly.  I think I might read Rebecca again for rereads.

I promise I will go to bed and quit posting soon. ;)  Negin's Roosevelt reading list made me think of Clinton and his love of mysteries.  I remember him as being a Dorthy Sayers fan but couldn't find anything mentioning her.  Anyway I thought I would share this quick article with his top 5 choices.http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pageviews/bill-clinton-shares-favorite-books-ann-curry-today-declares-love-daniel-silva-blog-entry-1.1637278

Stacia,  notice that Jerusalem by Montefiore is in his top five.

I have never read Silva.  May have to request one. :lol:

Not much reading happening here.

Finished Ender's Game (reread). Started Jo Walton's Half a Crown--reading it on the treadmill and enjoying it. Slow progress on Possession. That one is just a slow read for me. The girls and I are almost done with Jane Eyre. Read 1 chapter of HOTAW--need to read 4 this week to catch up. That's about it here.

I read The Golem and the Jinni a few months back. I would let my almost 14 yo read it if she wanted to. It does have some seduction/sex in it (the jinni). He's all passion and the golem is the opposite if I recall. I'm thinking my biggest complaint was just that the book was a bit long--could have been edited down a bit.

:lurk5:

Are you taking the Greek and Roman Mythology class too?  That's the schedule we're on.  I just finished the lectures and quiz for books 9-16 and will read books 17-24 this week.  

This is the last week for Bible Prehistory, Purpose, and Political Impact so it's the last week my classes overlap.  I'm adding to my reading wish list in anticipation of next week.

You guys are good. Sunday keeps showing up and I realize I haven't done anything for that Greek & Roman class. I am bummed because it looked really interesting. Oh well. My plan is to continue on my odyssey through The Odyssey this week...

Yes, and I'm working hard to keep up and not let it get lost in my day to day stuff.  I spent quite a bit of time on Friday and Saturday trying to get the reading and lectures done. 

I watched an episode of Clash of the Gods on tv today, and Peter Struck was one of the commentators. :)  The episode was about Odysseus. 

I just ordered the Theogony and Homeric Hymn books, so hopefully I will not give up. 

:lurk5:

You guys are good. Sunday keeps showing up and I realize I haven't done anything for that Greek & Roman class. I am bummed because it looked really interesting. Oh well. My plan is to continue on my odyssey through The Odyssey this week...

You can download the lectures, and even if you can't do the class, the lectures are worth watching. :)

Yes, and I'm working hard to keep up and not let it get lost in my day to day stuff.  I spent quite a bit of time on Friday and Saturday trying to get the reading and lectures done. 

I watched an episode of Clash of the Gods on tv today, and Peter Struck was one of the commentators. :)  The episode was about Odysseus. 

I just ordered the Theogony and Homeric Hymn books, so hopefully I will not give up. 

I know the feeling.  I do my other class on Monday and Tuesday, then read the Odyssey Wednesday-Friday.  I listen to my lectures on Saturday, and take the quiz on Sunday.  I do know that it will prepare me very well for Ancients this year so I keep that in the back of my head when I question my sanity.   I also bought all the books already in hope of keeping myself motivated; it isn't easy reading and I miss "my" books.

The lectures have really made the difference for me.  

this past week was the first week I really felt good 

So happy to hear that, Stacia :). 

I ended up with The King's General by Daphne Du Maurier 

Going to look into this one. Rebecca is one of those books that is hard to forget. 

Love that Clinton list. Off to add some to my wish list. 

Negin -

Thanks to you I'm pretty sure I'm developing a crush on Teddy Roosevelt.  

:001_tt1:

Anytime :D. 

Love the sock colour also.  As someone who hates double pointed needles I am highly impressed. ;)

Double points don't bother me.  Those needles are number 1s (2.25 mm) aka toothpicks. This seems to contribute to the feeling of an endless project.

Yesterday I read and enjoyed Backwoods by Jill Sorenson; it's categorized as romance suspense.  I've read the first three books in the series, but this one is so lightly connected to the others that it stands alone well.

"The more you trust, the more you risk… 

When plans for a wilderness retreat with her teenage daughter Brooke go awry, Abby Hammond reluctantly pairs up with Brooke's stepbrother and his dad, Nathan Strom, for the weeklong trek. The only thing Abby has in common with the bad-boy former pro athlete is that their exes cheated with each other. That…and a visceral attraction that's growing more complicated with every step through the picturesque woods. 

Nathan's wild-card reputation lost him his career and his family. After years of regret, he's ready to fight for what truly matters—and that includes Abby's hard-won trust. When Brooke goes missing, Nathan knows he's her best and only hope of rescue. But the deeper into the rugged mountains they go, the more dangerous the territory will prove—for their safety and for their hearts."

Regards,

Kareni

As far as books, I don't have any in progress right now. I'm working on a big clean-out & culling around the house, plus this past week was the first week I really felt good, so I was catching up on stuff that needed to be done (besides reading, that is). And, we had quite a few activities & outings last week, leaving me little time for grabbing a book.

I like the sound of this, Stacia and I'll happily tack onto your cleaning-culling wind. :lol: Glad to hear your feeling tip-top.

Double points don't bother me. Those needles are number 1s (2.25 mm) aka toothpicks. This seems to contribute to the feeling of an endless project.

I'm another one who 'intensely dislikes' dpns. Whenever I'm knitting a hat I feel an internal groan when I arrive at the place requiring dpns. I feel all thumbs. And I have small hands, too! Socks are on my list of knitting tries. I would love to make them but so far I've given the dpns a wide berth. Plus I've a shawl that's been sitting in my basket for months.

Jane, that size is microscopic!

Double points don't bother me.  Those needles are number 1s (2.25 mm) aka toothpicks. This seems to contribute to the feeling of an endless project.

Cannot even imagine how long it would take me to combine double points with size 1 needles.  Socks must take a very long time. I actually normally like 4 ply to knit with because it is so light and my hands never feel sore when I knit for several hours.  

Cannot even imagine how long it would take me to combine double points with size 1 needles.  Socks must take a very long time. I actually normally like 4 ply to knit with because it is so light and my hands never feel sore when I knit for several hours.  

I normally use size 2 needles for socks.  My regular production had been about a sock a month--maybe two months for a sock in the summer when I am less inclined to knit.  It is a treat to knit mittens or a hat with size five or eights!

This collection of book end-papers makes me want to start collecting old books just for the sake of enjoying the artful bindings.  I was thinking this anyway after reading the book I mentioned last week, The Bookman's Tale, which lovingly details the uses of book binding tools and all that goes into restoring old books.

By the way, Jane, I love that pillow!  I have a similar color of sock-yarn that is waiting for me to get started!  I'll be thinking of you when I finally get started and have to face turning the heel.  It's been years since I last knitted a sock...