Menu

i'm new to the low carb game and have a couple of pressing questions:

Rose in BC

On the advice of my dr I began low carb 3 weeks ago and have been fairly strict, although we did have a family vacation for 10 days during that time but I only indulged a couple of times.

So here is my question.  there is so much advice on the web, some of it seems contradictory.  How do you know you're doing it right?  i have a lot of weight to loose so I guess I thought i'd loose a lot right away but as of today I've lost just over 5 pounds.  I definitely had the low carb flu. . . . nauseau, etc. and itchy skin.  I'm aiming at 50 carbs a day.

Everyone talks about weight "melting off".  That, thus far, has not been my experience.  Am i just being impatient? :)

Overall I'm liking how I feel on this eating plan so i'm trying to keep that in mind while I wait for weight loss.

I agree with sparkly... I don't think the weight melted off.   When I want to eat carefully and watch my carbs the best way I know is the track everything I put in my mouth.   Initially, all I do is track what I eat and how many carbs.  Later I may add tracking calories and carbs (because I think they do matter - esp. now that I'm 50). 

Have you found lowcarbfriends ?  It's a great site for LCers. 

The sites that I found that said weight "melted" off set the bar at a LOT less than 50g of carbs a day (are you not subtracting fiber grams from that count?). More like 20g.

And i think part of it depends if you were eating a really high carb diet before. THe bigger the difference, the faster the drop, iykwim.

I count carb grams - fiber grams - sugar "alcohol" grams = total carbs

I never counted carbs, I just gave them up. No sugar, no flour, no potatoes. 50 sounds like a lot. I'd urge you to go hard core veggies and protein ONLY for a time-30 days, 100 days, etc. Weigh at the end of that time period.

My daughter went low-carb about a year ago.  It took time to get into a routine, but now it is easy.  I'm not even sure what all carbs are in, but she has no gluten products at all, and pretty much sticks to protein (meat, eggs, legumes) and veggies, some fruit, and a gluten-free "healthy" dessert.  (That's important for her -- she loves to bake!)  We had delicious chocolate cupcakes last night made with cocoa powder, coconut oil and garbanzo beans.  I'm not sure what sweetened it... honey, perhaps?  She doesn't count carbs, but in the period of eight months or so she has lost a lot of weight, probably 40 pounds.  She didn't lose any weight at all in the first two months.

On the advice of my dr I began low carb 3 weeks ago and have been fairly strict, although we did have a family vacation for 10 days during that time but I only indulged a couple of times.

So here is my question.  there is so much advice on the web, some of it seems contradictory.  How do you know you're doing it right?  i have a lot of weight to loose so I guess I thought i'd loose a lot right away but as of today I've lost just over 5 pounds.  I definitely had the low carb flu. . . . nauseau, etc. and itchy skin.  I'm aiming at 50 carbs a day.

Everyone talks about weight "melting off".  That, thus far, has not been my experience.  Am i just being impatient? :)

Overall I'm liking how I feel on this eating plan so i'm trying to keep that in mind while I wait for weight loss.

If you want to do true low carb, you'll want to get Dr. Atkins' book and follow that. Ignore all the stuff on the Internet. :-)

Also, be sure you aren't just watching your carbs; you'll also want to make sure you're eating enough protein and fat.

Thanks for your responses...I will check out low carb pals and some of the other resources.

I don't think I can do less than 40-50 which is usually my plain Greek yogurt and a few berries and sometimes a piece of dark chocolate. I don't think I'd stick with plan without those treats.

I am happy the scale is moving down and I am finding this reasonably easy to follow. I don't want this to be a diet. I want to make this a lifestyle change.

The one red flag that pops up on all sites talking about weight loss is stress. I have a significant amount of stress in my life...over and above regular life stresses. I just don't know how to change this......well I can't. So I know that this impedes weight loss.

I will keep plugging along.

water.  If you want low carb / high protein to work you need to drink a LOT of water.  Seriously.  lots.  All of it.  Everyday.  Then the weight does indeed fly away.  I have done this several times... as soon as I get slack on the water front, the weight loss stops. 

water. If you want low carb / high protein to work you need to drink a LOT of water. Seriously. lots. All of it. Everyday. Then the weight does indeed fly away. I have done this several times... as soon as I get slack on the water front, the weight loss stops.

Interesting. I did read that today but good to hear this matches your experience. I will try that.

I've lost 30kg so far with low carb... and it's made such a difference to my health and day to day life.  I have a lot to go and I'm currently "off the wagon" and REALLY need to get back on.  Everyone has a different "level" that works for them... I need to get down to below 40 for a week or so to get started, then I can keep losing weight at around 60g of carbs a day.  If I stay below 40 or go any lower, I stop losing altogether!  It's different for everyone... you need to find your levels.  Good luck!

Thanks for your responses...I will check out low carb pals and some of the other resources.

I don't think I can do less than 40-50 which is usually my plain Greek yogurt and a few berries and sometimes a piece of dark chocolate. I don't think I'd stick with plan without those treats.

I am happy the scale is moving down and I am finding this reasonably easy to follow. I don't want this to be a diet. I want to make this a lifestyle change.

The one red flag that pops up on all sites talking about weight loss is stress. I have a significant amount of stress in my life...over and above regular life stresses. I just don't know how to change this......well I can't. So I know that this impedes weight loss.

I will keep plugging along.

That level of carbs would cause cravings for me. I feel better when I eat about 30g (net) carbs/day.

I also do not eat high-protein, I aim for about 70-80% fat but I don't really track it.

I lost 25 pounds from late January to early May by eating lower carb. I just tried to keep my meals at 25 or less and eat lower carb snacks like nuts. I had to cut out dairy a few years ago, so I didn't even cut out other stuff. I just didn't eat much pasta, potatoes, or rice. I would still eat a few bites when the rest of the family had something I really liked. I would say I definitely kept most days under 90 or so carbs.

I hope you are able to lose all that you want to lose. I've kept it off since then despite eating a little worse this summer, so I do feel it's been a lifestyle change. I don't count the carbs every meal, but I try to keep them in mind. I didn't really exercise to lose and have been exercising this summer. I feel like I'm hungrier when I exercise.

I would still like to lose more, so I'm going to try and be stricter with it  when I get back home from our trip we are on now.

Going low carb can be very healthful when done correctly. Focus should be on plenty of veggies, both cooked and raw and in a wide variety. Plenty of clean organic healthfully raised meat and healthy fats will round out the diet. 

Every body is unique and 50g may work well for one person but not be enough for another. Try adding another 25 carbs a few times a week, or even 50 more carbs once a week, and see if anything changes.

It helps to keep in mind that your body is programed to hold onto weight, it is the body's savings account. No one wants to see the balance in their account dwindle. If there are occasional larger deposits being made then one feels a little bit less restricted in their spending. The body is an amazing thing.

As for stress have you ever tried yoga or mediation? Those both can be very beneficial. You can even find guided meditation on youtube.

So I upped my water, lowered carbs a bit and feel pretty good. I guess it's a journey...and I must want to get there :).

I also agree it takes tweeting for what's best for each body.

Today I'm having a grad/birthday party at my house. I did the baking yesterday and had good self control. Didn't test anything :).

My two cents:  for low carb flu, try drinking broth or adding an electrolyte supplement.  Something about ketosis can cause faster depletion of electrolytes/sodium than when one is running on carbs.  This can make a world of difference in how a person feels.

Make sure you are eating enough fat.  (I eat low carb/high fat.  I do not eat high protein as excessive protein can be converted to glucose).

My favorite authors on the subject are Volek and Phinney (Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance)

So I've increased water intake a lot and increased healthy fats and wow I don't know if it's coincidence but the scale moved. And I didn't realize the leg cramps I was feeling was probably dehydration. I drink a lot of water naturally but I guess not as much as I thought. I'm feeling encouraged.