Menu

Poetry Tea Success!

Eagle

Tonight ds ran off with a pad of paper and a pencil. I didn't think much of it until he called out, "Mum, how do you spell 'egg'?" He doesn't really like printing, so printing for something outside of schoolwork was unusual. Eventually he came back and announced that he wrote a poem (complete shock!!!). He told me to listen for the alliteration because he wrote it that way on purpose. He would like everyone to take turns reading his poem tomorrow during poetry tea time.

I am still in shock.

I let him know I ordered a new poetry book yesterday and it should arrive soon. He immediately ran to tell his dad the exciting news. Dh thinks we have the only 6yo on the planet interested in poetry. I assured him that this is normal "on my forum". (That, and mummifying chickens...)

I can't wait until we do MCT and Music of the Hemispheres. A year and a bit to wait. I think he will really love it. Until then we are working on memorizing lines from Shakespeare. When we started our weekly (now semiweekly) poetry tea I never anticipated that it would become a very special part of our homeschool.

I didn't use anything to specifically teach it. We just started doing poetry readings weekly. Everyone reads one or two poems. After your turn reading you get a treat (cookie, sometimes cake or pie, once we made maple candy!). Treats are special at our house, so the snack was a good lure. Ds said he wished we could do poetry (ie. get treats) every day, so we upped it to two times per week. And next thing you know he was really enjoying the poetry along with the treats.

Our poetry books include:

Talking Like the Rain

When We Were Very Young (A. A. Milne)

Now We Are Six (A. A. Milne)

A Child's Garden of Verses (Robert Louis Stevenson)

Under the Greenwood Tree (Shakespeare)

Aesop's Fables (not actually poetry, but is fair game for poetry tea reading)

The new one we have coming is Poetry For Young People: Emily Dickenson

The alliteration he picked up from Five in a Row.

Guest Micah

You might like checking out this online poetry resource by Memory Typer.  It includes lots of categorized poems and paintings and it's still growing.  You can also memorize selections with the "Memory Typer" web app.