Menu

Your favorite SHORT audiobooks?

My kids love audiobooks. I don't know how we'd manage to take a road trip without one- we listen to books while driving, and they'll sit quietly for hours, listening with rapt attention, while we drive. Without fail, whenever we try to take a trip without plenty of audiobooks there's endless whining, complaining, and non-stop "How much longer?" 

We're taking a long trip next month, but this time my sister and two young daughters (ages 3 and 5) will be riding along with us. I know that there is no way her kids will listen to the longer books that my kids like. Most of the audiobooks we listen to tend to be anywhere from 6-9 hours in length. Her girls are just too young and don't have that kind of attention span yet, nor will they stay quiet so my kids will be able to hear their own books. I'll probably let my two sit in the far back of the van together and listen to something of their choice with headphones (I'll just have to get a splitter so they can both listen to the same thing together), but it would still be nice to have a few things that we could all enjoy together even the younger kids. 

Suggestions for good audiobooks that are short enough for the preschool/kinder age groups, but still interesting for older kids and adults? 

The Bippalo Seed and Other Lost Stories by Dr Suess, narrated by Neil Patrick Harris.

The Cricket in Times Square.

We listened to an audiobook narrated by EB White too, I think it was The Trumpet of the Swan but I'm not sure. I wouldn't think any of his books would be too long for younger kids.

In the PreK forum there is a thread that I think I started on "First Audiobooks".  I've been listening to some good suggestions from there.  

Paddington was a hit.  It was two CD's, and it is short stories so it is OK if they can't listen to all of it.  Then there is  More Paddington which was another 2 CD's.  

Thanks for the suggestions! We've listened to all of the EB White books that he narrated himself and The Cricket in Times Square already, along with most of Roald Dahl, Beatrix Potter and James Herriot, but the Paddington and Winnie the Pooh ideas might be perfect for the younger girls. 

I also told my two that I'd see what Playaways I could find for them at the library, and I'll seat them together way back in the third row where they can listen using a headphone splitter. Yesterday they managed to listen to an entire 6+ hour book (The Penderwicks) just at home even though we were out of the house for a good part of the day! 

We checked this book out from the library on a whim for a road trip and it was good.

Family Storybook Treasury with CD: Tales of Laughter, Curiosity, and Fun

It's a book, with CD. The stories and poems are read by different people and even include some sound effects to go with the story (barking, sirens, etc). It helped with short attention spans. Looking at the book helped with that too. It is a compilation of short books and poems.

I just loaded "The Reluctant Dragon" and "My Father's Dragon" (just the first book) for free from booksshouldbefree.com (I think that's the website) for a road-trip we're heading out on today.

Both are easy to listen to.  My Father's Dragon has 10 very short and easy-to-follow chapters, which makes it a good starter audiobook.  I'm super-pleased to have found them for free, since both are favorites of my kids.

My children also have enjoyed Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (which has short chapters), The Cricket in Times Square, and Mr. Popper's Penguins.

(All are a few hours long, but use concise and clear language in short-chapters.)

We checked this book out from the library on a whim for a road trip and it was good.

Family Storybook Treasury with CD: Tales of Laughter, Curiosity, and Fun

It's a book, with CD. The stories and poems are read by different people and even include some sound effects to go with the story (barking, sirens, etc). It helped with short attention spans. Looking at the book helped with that too. It is a compilation of short books and poems.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland narrated by Jim Dale! It's almost 3 hours long, but he does such a fantastic job with the different voices that it would probably hold their attention. I also second the Paddington audio books.

Thanks! I just put both of your suggestions on hold at the library. 

I just loaded "The Reluctant Dragon" and "My Father's Dragon" (just the first book) for free from booksshouldbefree.com (I think that's the website) for a road-trip we're heading out on today.

Both are easy to listen to.  My Father's Dragon has 10 very short and easy-to-follow chapters, which makes it a good starter audiobook.  I'm super-pleased to have found them for free, since both are favorites of my kids.

My children also have enjoyed Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (which has short chapters), The Cricket in Times Square, and Mr. Popper's Penguins.

(All are a few hours long, but use concise and clear language in short-chapters.)

We've read the My Father's Dragon series, but I'll bet that the kids would still love the audiobooks and yes, they're probably very good for younger kids (after all, they were amongst the very first chapter books we read aloud!) I'll see if the library has the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books as well since those are ones we've meant to read but have never gotten around to yet... 

I see it was recommended already but James Herriots Treasury for Children was what I would recommend.  It's a collection of stories so you could listen to a few at a time and then turn it off.  It's also not very long if you wanted to listen to it all the way through.

Gooney Bird Greene is great also and not too long.  It's about too hours and funny!

All those Jim Weiss story telling CDs are made for that age.  Animal Tales, Uncle Wiggly, Tell me A Story, Favorite tales in Song and Dance, Tales of the Egyptians, etc etc. They are all about 60 mins long and most have multiple stories. I spent many a road trip with my young children listening to them.

I also ADORED Fortunately, the Milk but don't know if a 5 and 6 year old would really follow it. But maybe it would be ok? My 9 year old loves it though...as well as the rest of it.  It is a fun Doctor Who-esqe romp through time and space. With milk.

We just came back from over 46 hours of driving and here are the audiobooks that we (ages 2, 4, 6 and 10...and young at heart) listened to

Voyages of Dr Dolittle (long but a fun story)

The House at Pooh Corner

Pippi Longstockings (a book of a very psychotic girl IMHO. We had a some talks about this one).

Mary Poppins (very fun)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

The Tale of Despereaux (long but way better than the movie so maybe it might work)

Three Hours Of Less:

Mr Popper's Penguin's is reasonably short & it's more a production so it's fun at the same time! 

Stick Dog is only an hour or so & it's quite funny.

Hank The Cow Dogs 

Pippi Longstockings

The Story Of Dr DoLittle

The Wizard of Oz

Spy Dog Series

Humphrey Hamster Series {also quite cute & funny}

The Courage Of Sarah Noble {less then an hour}

Stone Fox {less then an hour, but a very sad & abrupt ending so might not be suitable}

Olga Da Polga Series 

Ramona Series {most are 2 hours of less}

Paddle To The Sea {less then an hour by a mere few seconds}

Nim's Island

Skippyjon Jones {picture books, but quite funny & only about 8 minutes each}

The Water Horse {totally different then the movie!}

The Miraculous Adventure Of Edward Tulane {we enjoyed this, but as is the case with man of Kate's books it can be emotional. We did not find it a tear jerker}

Paddington Bear {the ones done by Stephen Fry are beautifully done, his voices are fantastic, & my kids could not stop laughing.. You could even give the little ones PB picture books to look at while listening to these..}

FWIW, there are a LOT of picture books available for .69 or so at Audible.com You could get a stack of picture books & match up audio books with them to entertain the littler ones. While it won't do for the "everyone together" thing, it might keep them busy for their own "special" time.