Menu

Is this unreasonable?

LLMom

Ok, I think I have won the most unreasonable mom award.  My 17 year old son thinks he should be allowed to drive 7 hours alone, in our old car, going through 2 very large cities (both in top 10 largest cities) when he has never driven through a big city close to those size to his Grandma's.  He can't go when we are going so he thinks he should just hop in the car and go when he has off work.  He can't get an older friend or his older brother to go so we told him no.  Does anyone else think I am unreasonable?  He sure it putting up a stink about it.  He thinks we are way too overprotective.  Sometimes being a parent of a teen sucks.

Uh, no, not unreasonable. 

I have been driving for years.  I have a ton of experience.  And I just recently drove through a top 10 city in the U.S.  I had two near fatal car accidents because of bad wx for one and because of a really bad, unanticipated situation regarding road construction on the other.  In both cases I made it because I have dealt with those situations before and have had years of experience driving (and luck had a bit to do with it too).  Otherwise, in all likelihood, I would not be typing this message today.

And by the way, some GPS systems fail when going under bridges, and can also glitch for other reasons (ask me how I ended up in an extremely bad part of Washington D.C. the day after several shootings in that same area) so if he is relying entirely on a GPS system he may end up in serious trouble if he doesn't know the area at all.

Whatever you decide for now, I would place "train Junior to drive through cities" at the very tippy-top of my to-do list.

I'm not saying I think you've neglected anything. :grouphug: My sons have been on the late side for driving, too, by my choice. But a 17yo who is driving will be driving everywhere, in all conditions, within a year whether we like it or not.

Edited to add: I just looked up the top 10. We live in #12 so city driving is normal for us, and we have some experience with one other large city that is near-the-top. So I am not actually familiar with a 7hr trip through two of the top 10 cities, therefore not really qualified to address this. I'm sorry for putting my oar in, now that I realize that. I do think city driving is a big deal; we have to attend to those skills from the get-go because we live in a city.

You know your child the best.

When our son was close to turning 18, we let him drive his 1970 International pickup truck from Indianapolis to Wichita.  He was accompanied by his younger brother.  He had no GPS, no air conditioning, 

The trip took 12 hours.  

He had a blast.

He'd probably be fine and it would probably be a really interesting experience. As long as he wasn't tired and had some kind of roadside assistance it might not be a horrible idea.

But I still wouldn't allow my 17yo to do that.  Especially in my car. Driving for 7 hours is always better with someone along, no matter how old you are.  It's especially important when you're still a teenager and a relatively new driver.

I think it would depend on his driving experience overall, the reliability of the car, and whether he could have a GPS in the vehicle . Also, don't many large cities have loops around them for interstate driving? We drive from NY to TX rarely need to go thru any city, thanks to loops and the GPS.

This. I have driven along I70 from West of Denver to Pittsburg and I never went through any large cities. I always went around them. 

I just said no for my  daughter to drive 3 hours to meet friends and see a concert.  She was not happy, but the farthest I let her go is to the next largest town about 35 miles away.  She thinks we are overprotective, but I'd rather see her safe and mad at me any day than to take a chance with her safety. 

Based upon what you said here about his driving experience, I would say NO.  But, that said, I would work on him getting more exposure to this kind of driving so that should a need arise in the future, you would feel more comfortable with his ability to handle it.  I don't feel comfortable driving that long without a copilot/navigator/person to talk to in the front seat.  In unfamiliar areas, I like having someone who can preview the route to make sure that it makes sense since there may be times when GPS covereage is spotty. 

I do not have any teenage kids but I've helped teach two of my sisters to drive and I would say no way. MAYBE if he had his own car, but I live in California and we do not have ways to go around cities and driving in the cities is way different than outside of them. My sister is 18 and is not allowed to drive my parents car in LA, although she drives it in larger cities closer to where we live. And if he has never driven that long before, let alone by himself, he has no idea what he is getting himself into!

I just said NO for my 17 year old daughter to drive 3 hours to meet friends and see a concert.  She was not happy, but the farthest I let her go is to the next largest town about 35 miles away.  She thinks we are overprotective, but I'd rather see her safe and mad at me any day than to take a chance with her safety.

They take a chance with their safety every time they get in the car.

When will she be allowed to drive farther than 35mi and to other places than the next town? I know in some families the children agree to live at home and submit to their parents' commands after the age of 18 but in most families they grow up and be adults who make their own choices.

Will she go from a short leash as a minor to full autonomy as an adult with no in-between? Mightn't that be more dangerous?

We're working all these things out in our family right now, too. I'm not claiming to have all the answers. We are erring on the side of trust -- we have a night curfew for minors that helps to prevent fatigue-related accidents, and as I said we're already in a city and accustomed to metro driving, bad neighborhoods, construction...

but I'm a very experienced defensive driver who has not got a ticket in over 25 years yet I still almost got killed the other day, on the small country road I drive three times per week, by some fool who was texting.

We just recently wouldn't let our 17 year old drive 4 hours away with his 15 year old sister. He has tons of freeway experience including through LA as he drives whenever we go anywhere without dad. This trip was not through any big cities and only one easy freeway change he's done before. He wasn't happy but we just felt like they were not old enough for an unattended road trip. The driving itself wasn't the issue. He is a REALLY good driver and regularily drives a 15 pass van :) and this would have been a small reliable car. He even drove the whole way there with me and I'm not sure if his dad had him drive when he went back to get them. But anyways under the conditions you mentioned NO WAY. You are not unreasonable. If he had done it several times with you then maybe. But it is awfully young to be on a road trip alone and we wouldn't feel comfortable.

We just recently wouldn't let our 17 year old drive 4 hours away with his 15 year old sister. He has tons of freeway experience including through LA as he drives whenever we go anywhere without dad. This trip was not through any big cities and only one easy freeway change he's done before. He wasn't happy but we just felt like they were not old enough for an unattended road trip. The driving itself wasn't the issue. He is a REALLY good driver and regularily drives a 15 pass van  :) and this would have been a small reliable car. He even drove the whole way there with me and I'm not sure if his dad had him drive when he went back to get them. But anyways under the conditions you mentioned NO WAY. You are not unreasonable. If he had done it several times with you then maybe. But it is awfully young to be on a road trip alone and we wouldn't feel comfortable.

I don't really understand this. I'm not trying to be rude, just genuinely asking. If 17 isn't old enough, what is? Won't he be in college around 18? Will you be controlling his driving then?

What is your biggest concern? The car breaking down? Having trouble navigating through the big cities? Traveling alone?

Personally, the city thing would not be an issue. My concern for my college student driving up to her school 9 ours away was the very long stretches of open road in the middle of nowhere. To risk a young female, traveling alone, having car trouble in the middle of nowhere was a deal breaker for me.

Perhaps you could have a chat with him about your specific concerns, not just a flat no. 

nope. Not overprotective.

Those large cities and interstate exchanges can be confusing and scary. Not to mention the mental fatigue that comes from driving long distances.

What I would do, is set up concrete times when I could drive interstate with him in the city, (him driving) so that he can get the hang of the way that traffic moves, looking ahead for exits and splits, etc. To a novice driver, it looks deceptively simple, but changing lanes at 60 mph means that one mistake can be fatal.

I don't really understand this. I'm not trying to be rude, just genuinely asking. If 17 isn't old enough, what is? Won't he be in college around 18? Will you be controlling his driving then?

Of course not but a year of development at this stage of life is significant.

Of course not but a year of development at this stage of life is significant.

Hm, that is a good point. I can't really give good input on the topic since DD has no desire whatsoever to drive and DS started making trips on his own as soon as he could to see his father every weekend. 

A year's worth of driving practice makes a big different. Additionally, it's not as much (for my dd) about the age, it is about the driving experience. Also, minors on their parent's insurance plans could be a problem if he is in an accident.

My biggest concerns are the car breaking down (and being alone), all of the crazy drivers in those big cities,  and having him get tired.  Although there are 2 major cities to drive through, they are a good 4 hours apart with not much in between.  He has driven some in a city near us of about 180,000, but these others have 2 million and 1.1 million.  There are loops, but it they are way out of the way.  We are letting him drive on a 4 hour trip this summer ( to another place but through a bigger city going on a loop around it) with his sister (15), but they will be following friends of ours so he will get some practice.  

For reasons not relevant to this thread, my dd was not driving at 17. But had I a typically developing, trustworthy 17 year old, yes, I would allow this. This is exactly the type of freedom, adventure, and responsibility that teens crave, it comes at relatively low risk if well-planned and facilitated, and I would do what I could to make it happen.

FWIW, when dh was 17 he was driving 4 hours from home to college somewhat regularly.

Ok, I think I have won the most unreasonable mom award.  My 17 year old son thinks he should be allowed to drive 7 hours alone, in our old car, going through 2 very large cities (both in top 10 largest cities) when he has never driven through a big city close to those size to his Grandma's.  He can't go when we are going so he thinks he should just hop in the car and go when he has off work.  He can't get an older friend or his older brother to go so we told him no.  Does anyone else think I am unreasonable?  He sure it putting up a stink about it.  He thinks we are way too overprotective.  Sometimes being a parent of a teen sucks.

I was barely 18 years old when I hauled all my belongings (which was a full two bedroom apartment worth of stuff) 17 hours away from home.  I barely had any driving experience and here I was hauling this U-Haul with my car being towed from behind across the country.  I was used to city driving, but nothing could prepare me for West Virginia trucker driving in the Blue Ridge Mountains!   :eek:  I surely thought I would die there before reaching my destination.  :D   I still look back and think I was crazy, but you know what?  I survived and was better for it.   I met a lot of great people along the way, too. :001_smile:

I would be a worried mom, but I would let my kids do it if I felt they were responsible and wise enough to handle it.  You know your son best, though.  You're not unreasonable at all, but I would ask your son why he thinks he is responsible enough to be trusted to go.  Maybe have a compromise?  Have you thought through why you don't want him to go?  Maybe share with him the fears you have?  Are there things he could do to put your mind at ease?

I wouldn't tell him no without giving him a good reason for it, because 18 is around the corner and he can legally do what he wants then.  I'd rather my kids do something like that under my watch.

*ETA: Sorry to repeat what a few others said.  I got busy and came back to finish writing, so I didn't read those responses.  :o

I don't think you are unreasonable.

I don't think he is either.

I'd be on pins and needles and nauseated.

And I'd let him go.

Because it is my limited experience with 5 teens so far that that is simply the nature of being a mom to "children" these ages.

I'd insist on frequent pull overs to phone in that he is okay. Go over safety rules and what to do if he wrecks and make sure he has emergency contact info on him. Slap a fake smile on my face, give him a hug on the way out the door, and then sweat bullets until he called to say he was there and again until he pulled in the drive home.

(((Hugs)))

I was barely 18 years old when I hauled all my belongings (which was a full two bedroom apartment worth of stuff) 17 hours away from home.  I barely had any driving experience and here I was hauling this U-Haul with my car being towed from behind across the country.  I was used to city driving, but nothing could prepare me for West Virginia trucker driving in the Blue Ridge Mountains!   :eek:  I surely thought I would die there before reaching my destination.  :D   I still look back and think I was crazy, but you know what?  I survived and was better for it.   I met a lot of great people along the way, too. :001_smile:

I would be a worried mom, but I would let my kids do it if I felt they were responsible and wise enough to handle it.  You know your son best, though.  You're not unreasonable at all, but I would ask your son why he thinks he is responsible enough to be trusted to go.  Maybe have a compromise?  Have you thought through why you don't want him to go?  Maybe share with him the fears you have?  Are there things he could do to put your mind at ease?

I wouldn't tell him no without giving him a good reason for it, because 18 is around the corner and he can legally do what he wants then.  I'd rather my kids do something like that under my watch.

*ETA: Sorry to repeat what a few others said.  I got busy and came back to finish writing, so I didn't read those responses.  :o

Wow, Alyssa.  I am fairly free-range when it come to most things, but this is a biggy for me.  He has already gotten a speeding ticket so I am constantly worried about his driving.  I did explain our reasons, but they don't matter to him.  Thanks for everyones thoughts.  

I won't be controlling his driving when he is in college, but like someone said, a year more experience does help.  I even hate to drive through big cities because people drive crazy.  

Are you sure you're worried about your son's abilities or could it be your own insecurities about driving in the city?  You son sounds like he is up for the challenge?  Why hold him back?  I say let him have at it with your help.  :001_smile:

One more year of driving experience may or may not be helpful.  How many 40 year olds still drive horribly?  I can think of some teenagers who drive better than most adults.

Wow, Alyssa.  I am fairly free-range when it come to most things, but this is a biggy for me.  He has already gotten a speeding ticket so I am constantly worried about his driving.  I did explain our reasons, but they don't matter to him.  Thanks for everyones thoughts.  

I can't tell if that was a good or bad "wow", but I'm assuming bad?  Did I offend you?  I certainly didn't mean to.  I'm sorry if I did.  :(   I was just sharing my experience, which happened to be a good one.

If he has no experience in big city driving at all, I would make sure he has enough practice before he goes, or otherwise I would not allow it. If he has some experience, but not a whole lot, the only way to learn how to drive there is by doing it.

We let our 16 y/o drive 4.5 hours out of state to visit a friend, but only after she had practiced with DH specifically how to navigate her way on the freeways through the big city she had to cross.

If he can't go on this trip, I'd make sure to give him practice in these driving skills asap.

When our 16 at the time son wanted to leave early from a vacation to see some out of town friends that were going to be in our hometown, we let him follow us up there in his car and drive back by himself. It was a 6 hour drive.

We had him stop and gas up and give us a call at the halfway point and of course call when he made it there. I was really nervous, but there honestly wasn't a good reason not to let him. He'd been driving for about 3 years, mostly with me in the passenger seat.

He's a good son. He did fine. He's done quite a few long drives since then, but he had to start somewhere.

I would allow it.

I drove through two of those top 10 at the age of 17 with my little brother on a trip to see family. No GPS or cell phones and we had a blast. I also loaded up my car and moved from Dallas to California at 19 years old and again had no phone or GPS.

I agree with some others that you at least need to start doing that type of driving with him because he will eventually need to be able to do it himself. It also probably won't help his confidence with driving if his parents don't think him capable of driving in large cities.

If he was 16 at the time, where do you live that he started driving at 13.

She said about 3, so he could've started at around 14. I believe that's allowed in some states. Ds drove before that with his dad in the country. I didn't really approve, but it happens.

I started at 12 on back roads and on our ranch and that was the norm for kids in my area. This was in Texas.

ETA: Here in FL they can start drivers ed at 14 so they can get their permits as soon as they turn 15. My dd will start this fall and she is 14.

I can't tell if that was a good or bad "wow", but I'm assuming bad?  Did I offend you?  I certainly didn't mean to.  I'm sorry if I did.  :(   I was just sharing my experience, which happened to be a good one.

No, not a bad wow and not offended at all. Yes, my worries may be playing into the decision, but I know how so many people drive.  Even if you drive well, it is the crazy ones you have to look out for.    Like I said, he has already gotten a speeding ticket and has a lead foot even when I drive with him.  We are looking into a bus.  

No, not a bad wow and not offended at all. Yes, my worries may be playing into the decision, but I know how so many people drive.  Even if you drive well, it is the crazy ones you have to look out for.    Like I said, he has already gotten a speeding ticket and has a lead foot even when I drive with him.  We are looking into a bus.  

I don't know where the trip is, but is a train a possibility? Around here it goes a decent amount of places and it's not that expensive. 

He has already gotten a speeding ticket so I am constantly worried about his driving.  

I was leaning toward his side until you said this.  In my state, it would have caused a 90 day suspension of his driver's license.  In my house, it would have caused serious restrictions on said teen's driving.

BTW, has he volunteered to pay this gas for this trip?

I'd be worried about a lead foot, too.  I hope you are able to find some peace about all this whatever you choose to do.  :grouphug:

I'd let him go. If he feels confident and has a desire, then this is the good kind of risk and you should encourage his independence.

Just a few weeks after getting my license at 16, my mother sent me to pick up a sibling from relatives 3 1/2 hrs away. It was 7 hrs roundtrip through 2 large cities and over one rather dangerous mountain pass . . . in the rain. I was alone driving down and had the sibling on the way back with no gps or cell phone back then. It was a confidence and independence building experience. I'm glad I got to do good risk taking like that.

She said about 3, so he could've started at around 14. I believe that's allowed in some states. Ds drove before that with his dad in the country. I didn't really approve, but it happens.

I started at 12 on back roads and on our ranch and that was the norm for kids in my area. This was in Texas.

ETA: Here in FL they can start drivers ed at 14 so they can get their permits as soon as they turn 15. My dd will start this fall and she is 14.

He was probably 13 or 14 when he started driving.  He's 21 now so it's been a while and I can't remember exactly. 

We lived rural at the time and frankly kids began driving whenever their parents began giving them car keys, legal or not.  Now we live in town, but he's been fully licensed since he was 16 so no worries.  Also at the time he got his license, parent taught (home schooled) kids didn't even have to take a driver's test to get a license, the parents just signed a paper saying that they had been taught to drive.  With that info in mind, I was hyper vigilant that he be able to drive defensively in many different conditions because there are literally people on the road with licenses who do. not. know. how. to. drive. 

Anyway, I guess I'm just free range.  When I was young, driving meant freedom.  I wanted him to experience that freedom.  He felt incredibly accomplished after the trip.  He went on and on about it for weeks.  He still loves to drive. 

He has already gotten a speeding ticket so I am constantly worried about his driving.

A speeding ticket in itself wouldn't worry me so much. I recently got a speeding ticket from a speed camera for doing 45 in a 35 zone. I have no idea why it was a 35 zone and didn't see a sign. It was two lanes in each direction in an industrial building area, and I drive it every week. Go over a bridge, encounter the exact same circumstances, and it's a 45 zone. So, I got speed trapped, but I wasn't driving unsafely.

Now, if he was doing 60 in a residential area, that would be different, but the circumstances of the speeding ticket would matter more to me than the fact of one, if that makes sense.

Auto accidents are the #1 reason for male teen deaths so being concerned is okay. I like the idea of still allowing your son to drive with you when you are around cities. I also have a 17-year-old son and he is still practicing on the expressways with my husband. We live in a Chicago suburb so there are plenty of opportunities for us.

Going around a city is usually easier but my husband and I have still run into problems here in the Chicago area.