Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlmiraGulch

18th Birthday Present Ideas

My oldest daughter turns 18 in just over a week, and I have no idea what to get her.

We tend to "do up" birthdays in my house, but I'm not in the financial position I am normally, so that will obviously play a part.

She has said for a long time that she wanted a tattoo for her 18th and so I agreed to get her that, but when we actually went and talked to the tattoo artist about what she wants, I could see she was having second thoughts.  I've actually talked her out of it, not because I'm opposed (I have tattoos, too) but because there should never be hesitation associated with a permanent addition to your body.  So now, that's out. 

The tattoo she wanted would have been about $200-$250, and so that's what I've budgeted to spend. 

I thought about just giving her the cash, but I've ruled that out for a variety of reason.  Completely not an option at this point.

She wants a new computer, or actually one of those laptop/tablet combo things, but they are out of my price range.

I got her a really nice necklace from Tiffany's for her 16th and she wears it every day, but since that has already been done I don't want to do it again.  

She won't be going off to college in the fall, so nothing to buy for that.

I'm at a loss.  Any ideas for something special that will be within my budget?  

We took my dd out to a very nice restaurant in town, >$200 for-the-four-of-us nice.  It was a once in a lifetime thing.  It was fun.

For her 16th birthday, I went with a suggestions I read here.  She had 16 different presents to unwrap. Each one was numbered. The #16 has 16 things in it, #15 had 15, etc.  Some of the things were small, like 16 pens, 6 packs of gum, 3 pairs of earring, 2 shirts, etc. It was definitely memorable, and the nice thing about it is that you can adjust it to fit almost any budget.

A smaller tablet would still be within that price range, I think an ipad mini is $250 but you could get not-ipad tablets for cheaper.

I don't want go with just the tablet option, because when she starts college in January she'll need the laptop for papers and things.  He little sister has basically claimed the one she has now, and has also broken it.  I already need to get it fixed.  

I bought my dd a very nice purse.

That's a great idea, but for me!  She's not into the designer purse thing, really.  It's just not important to her.  

We took my dd out to a very nice restaurant in town, >$200 for-the-four-of-us nice.  It was a once in a lifetime thing.  It was fun.

For her 16th birthday, I went with a suggestions I read here.  She had 16 different presents to unwrap. Each one was numbered. The #16 has 16 things in it, #15 had 15, etc.  Some of the things were small, like 16 pens, 6 packs of gum, 3 pairs of earring, 2 shirts, etc. It was definitely memorable, and the nice thing about it is that you can adjust it to fit almost any budget.

What a fun idea!

Perhaps ~

a ring

a set of luggage

a commemorative box which could be engraved. "We can engrave quotations, personal messages, a monogram or a logo inside and out on the lid of this sturdy wooden box."

Regards,

Kareni

What are her hobbies? Does she sew? Paint? Camp? Love literature?

Can you get her something pertaining to one of her interests?

Nothing, really. She reads a lot. That's about it. Sigh.

Once I hit 18, my Mom started passing down jewelry of hers that I had admired.  So I got a piece at 18, at college graduation, and when I graduated from graduate school she added stones from something her Mom owned and then stones from one of her pieces to a gold bracelet.  

Check B&H regarding computers/tablets, there might be a deal.

How about an experience….like tickets to a musical?

You could also budget in a Sharpie or Henna tattoo to commemorate her original wish.  

Since she reads a lot, how about a Kindle or other e-reader?

Regards,

Kareni

That's a great idea, but she has a Kindle Fire.

Is there a nearby city or other special place where you could take her to do something unique that day?

Would you consider giving her her baby book, if you made one? That wouldn't cost anything... and then you could put the $ on a bookstore gift card! :)

I'm thinking about the Beluga Whale Encounter at the Georgia Aquarium.

She's expressed interest in it before, it would definitely be memorable, and it's in budget.

The problem is that I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of that sort of interaction with animals in captivity, but then it's not about me, so maybe I should get over it.  Also, I can't afford it for two, so she'd have to do it alone.  No big deal, but that sort of thing is usually more fun when you can share it with someone.  

Still thinking about it, though.  

Nice luggage? It's symbolic and practical.

My totally practical parents got me nice luggage for my 18th birthday and for my high school graduation.  At the time I thought it was a bit boring ... not cool.

That was a number of years ago and that luggage is in my closet still.  It's been to half a dozen different countries.  It's traveled with me to pick up DS when we got the adoption call.  It's carried all my valuables when DH and I got married and moved in together.  It's held DD's clothes when we took her to Disney.  It's been thrown in the back of my station wagon every year for a cross country trek to visit my parents.  

To this day it's one of the best presents I got.  I would never have been able to afford something that nice myself and if I had the cash I wouldn't have thought to spend it on luggage.  

My totally practical parents got me nice luggage for my 18th birthday and for my high school graduation.  At the time I thought it was a bit boring ... not cool.

That was a number of years ago and that luggage is in my closet still.  It's been to half a dozen different countries.  It's traveled with me to pick up DS when we got the adoption call.  It's carried all my valuables when DH and I got married and moved in together.  It's held DD's clothes when we took her to Disney.  It's been thrown in the back of my station wagon every year for a cross country trek to visit my parents.  

To this day it's one of the best presents I got.  I would never have been able to afford something that nice myself and if I had the cash I wouldn't have thought to spend it on luggage.  

So true. My parents bought me a Really Nice Suitcase the Christmas I was 15. I had several bigger trips coming up. At the time I thought, "A suitcase? Ok. . . I guess I like it." Now I LOVE it. It's so much sturdier and just plain nicer than the other suitcases we have. 

I also like the digital camera idea.

I got her a really nice necklace from Tiffany's for her 16th and she wears it every day, but since that has already been done I don't want to do it again.

Really nice earrings? Bracelet?

If she likes jewelry, possibly a charm bracelet? I got DD a simple silver one with some charms and she wears it every day too. You can change out the charms/add more pretty easily. I think a good quality one would make a nice gift.

Have you looked at uncommongoods.com? They have some fun, unique items. Maybe one of them would be a 'fit' for your dd?

My hair dresser (is that what they are called, still?) just did that and loved it.

I think the experience idea is a good one. Is there something you are more comfortable with? Trip to Asheville?

I'm thinking about the Beluga Whale Encounter at the Georgia Aquarium.

She's expressed interest in it before, it would definitely be memorable, and it's in budget.

The problem is that I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of that sort of interaction with animals in captivity, but then it's not about me, so maybe I should get over it. Also, I can't afford it for two, so she'd have to do it alone. No big deal, but that sort of thing is usually more fun when you can share it with someone.

Still thinking about it, though.

A nice luggage set is always nice, or a nice backpack (the kind that functions as a suitcase if they were to travel abroad, etc.);  a membership to some kind of club (gym, rock-climbing, etc.);  a fun class (cooking, photography);  a digital camera;  a cell phone;  a unique experience (when our son turned 18 my husband took him paragliding);  a nice watch;  a weekend trip (with you of course :)) to somewhere that would involve an overnight at a hotel...