Menu

How Teacher Intensive is Horizons Math - 3rd, 4th

pocjets

I'm considering switching to Horizons from CLE. I would be teaching 3 grade levels - 1st, 3rd, and 4th. I expect 1st to be teacher intensive but I'm wondering if my 3rd and 4th graders can do any of it independently? They like to have some of independence (like in CLE) so I just want to make sure that if we do switch, they can retain that. We are thinking of switching because of the number of pages in CLE (4-5 a day) and the lack of color. :) I understand that there may be the same number of problems in Horizons, but the fact that they are having to do 4-5 pages in CLE makes it seem daunting for them. 

Thanks-

I have only done Horizons 3.  It was not too teacher intensive.  The example problems were usually enough for my daughter.  Some days in the teachers guide, there would be a short activity to do with her and we did that, but for the most part she worked independently.

Levels 4-6 have instructions with examples written to the student, right in the student workbook. Levels 1-3 just have basic instructions and expect the teacher to be teaching anything new. (I preferred the format of Levels 4-6 because I found it much easier to teach from the instructions/examples in the book). 

Generally I spent 5 or so minutes going over new topics with my kids either way, and then obviously helping as needed which you do with any program.