Menu

Help Me Pick Science for a 5th Grade Boy: Sonlight F, Apologia, Winterpromise, MBtP, K12...?

CAtoVA

Do you have any experience with Sonlight science (specifically Core F), Winterpromise Human Body and/or Apologia Exploring Creation Physiology and Anatomy? Or Moving Beyond the Page science units or K12 science?  Please tell me what you think about them, the work level for the parent and the student, the "fun" level, etc. Really anything you can tell me, LOL!

My 10 yo DS wants to come home again after spending 4th grade in a small private school last year. He had been homeschooled previously for K-3 but really struggled with doing academics—this was motivation purely and no learning problems. Now he realizes that homeschooling is a "good deal" time wise, choice wise, etc.,  and appreciates being home. I want his science experience (really everything) to have some fun and wonder to it as well as rigor. I need something that he can do at least partly on his own because I have littler ones at home too.

Narrowing down is really hard for me because I am a curriculum "junkie!" Cost is not really an issue because without having to pay a private school tuition this upcoming year I am already saving tons. I like science and so does he. Thanks so much!!!

My boys just completed Core F Science. This was the first year that they worked independently on science. They both enjoyed it and it was a nice break for me. For us, it was a review on Human Anatomy right after completing Apologia's Human Anatomy book. I couldn't stand to do another year of Apologia, and I just really wanted something they could do independently. I know a lot of people complain that there are not enough projects compared to the other science cores, but it was fine for us.

We just completed Apologia's Physiology and Anatomy book (my 4th grader and 6th grader did it together.  It was fine.  This was our second year of Apologia (we did Astronomy last year) so the notebooking activities were kind of a bore - same layout - questions, crossword, fact sheet, mini book, and project.  We are trying BJU online science this fall.  I'm thrilled that they will be able to do it independently.  It is expensive though.

So, did it take your boys a year to do both Apologia Human Anatomy and the Sonlight Core F? Like, one semester for each?

What was so bad about Apologia Explorer science? Thanks!

No, we took a year for each one. We did the Apologia Anatomy with a co-op with the intention of moving on to the new Physics book. I got a bit frustrated with the release date being pushed out and not getting it in time to start the new school year. I don't feel there's anything wrong with Apologia, I just needed a break. My boys didn't care either way, so going with Core F Science was a last minute decision. We will most likely return to Apologia for high school, but for right now, it was a much needed break. Now that we have completed Core F Science we are moving on to Rainbow Science.

Thank you for the experienced feedback. I just saw Rainbow Science and it looks interesting if a little advanced for DS at this point.

Anyone else have experience with any of these science programs, or maybe something else?