Menu

I don't know what to feed her. allergy testing results.

snickerplum

We're beginning the process of getting our 6 year old on allergy drops. We've started the drops for environmental allergies, but since she's so sensitive the Dr wants to wait on the food ones until she's adjusted to the other. But we did get the food test results. :(

She's had food allergies since she was born pretty much. So avoiding the things she's allergic to isn't new. But there are some new ones on the list and I have no idea what to feed her. We already knew about dairy, bananas, strawberries, peanuts/tree nuts, eggs and wheat. But now she's "moderately positive" (level 2 and 3) to potatoes, tomatoes, rice, and corn.

So, there goes breakfast cereal, her rice milk, bread of any kind, tortillas, pasta/pizza sauce.... I could go on for a while.

Help.

I'm waiting on a reply for the allergist - despite the numbers, he said we could rotate rice, potato, quinoa, and amaranth "on a once in four day basis" and I'm not exactly sure what he mmeans or why it would be okay.

And, the girl eats potatoes all the time, same with corn (tortillas and pasta) and rice. She's never reacted to any of them. So it's a tad frustrating to have to eliminate them, especially since her diet is already so restricted...

I need meal ideas! Thanks in advance!

If she is just now starting to react to some foods, rotating them can help her body not become as sensitive to them as quickly.  Can she do oat milk?  The rotation he suggested appears to be mainly so that you can have a different kind of flour/starch every day, on a 4 day rotation.  So make things with rice flour (or just rice) on day 1, with potato flour on day 2, with quinoa on day 3, and amaranth on day 4.  

Amaranth pancakes are pretty good.  Bob's Red Mill has a recipe I like.  http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1061

You can buy rice and quinoa pasta so could have pasta on days 1 and 3.  You could also do spaghetti squash though you'd need to do a different kind of sauce.  Dd can't have nightshades including tomatoes and there is a good no tomato spaghetti sauce I've made.  http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/2010/01/tomato-free-marinara-sauce/

Jean, let's say it's "corn day" in the rotation. Could she have a corn based cereal at breakfast and a corn tortilla at dinner, or is that overdoing it?

Even her earth balance "butter" has some corn in it - should that be avoided on a day where she's not having corn?

I might actually go nuts with this, y'all. I had a good thing going with the original allergies, but the new stuff might take a bit.

We have been through this too and it is so hard. :grouphug:

If quinoa is ok you could make breakfast porridge with quinoa flakes. Same with millet. GoGo Quinoa makes our favourite pasta -- the spaghetti, fusilli and macaroni are made with quinoa (no rice).

You can use coconut milk for anything that requires milk (on the quinoa porridge, as a thickener in soup, in baking, etc.). Mix with a little water if it is too thick.

Breakfast ideas: quinoa or millet porridge, homemade pancakes, bacon, fruit

Lunch ideas: Hummus and veggies, bean salad, quinoa salad, homemade soups, quinoa pasta with pesto (without pine nuts)

For a special snack ds loves the Enjoy Life "Seed and Fruit mix".

Ds6 has anaphylactic allergies to wheat and egg; he outgrew the dairy allergy a year ago. Ds1 has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts/tree nuts. We have been through times though where we had to also eliminate soy, tomatoes, corn and several other things. Every new thing we had to eliminate made me feel defeated and hopeless. Just hold on to the thought that allergies can improve with time. And that once you figure out what she can eat you will get into a routine of knowing the safe foods and recipes.

:grouphug:

I would get a second opinion on the testing.  Did you do skin testing or blood?  I have a huge list of allergies and unfortunately react to tomato, potato and corn also...there are about a dozen all together...so I know it does happen, but I have underlying medical issues that are part of the problem. 

I would start looking for reasons why her body is starting to overreact to so many foods.  

One consideration is to look at her digestive system.  Leaky gut is gaining ground as a more reliable diagnosis, but there are a lot of other GI issues that can be attributed to poor assimilation of foods.

Another is an auto immune disorder.  

For my allergies and making dinner, I start with what I can have and add to it. I also will prep all the ingredients for dinner, but then pull out what I can eat before mixing up things like casseroles.   ie If I am making spaghetti, I will set aside some meat and pasta.  I will use olive oil and garlic salt on the pasta and just eat a little pile of meat.  Or turn a little pizza crust into a mini pizza with olive oil//Italian spices/meat and a few veggies.  Salads are my friend :0).  They can round out almost any meal and are easy to keep items on hand for.

Soy milk?  My dd prefers Vanilla Silk.  

Could you focus on more of a meat, fruit and veggie diet?  Kind of like the low carb high fat diets that are all the rage?  Isn't pot roast still okay?  Bacon?  Chicken?  

Jean, let's say it's "corn day" in the rotation. Could she have a corn based cereal at breakfast and a corn tortilla at dinner, or is that overdoing it?

Even her earth balance "butter" has some corn in it - should that be avoided on a day where she's not having corn?

I might actually go nuts with this, y'all. I had a good thing going with the original allergies, but the new stuff might take a bit.

Some of that is going to be trial and error.  Does she have any symptoms that you can attribute to overdoing certain foods?  

I remember being in a very similar place with my son.  You are going to have to do some serious thinking outside the box if you are a meat and potatoes kind of family.  Fortunately it is summer so it is a little easier with so many fresh, different products.  Consider yams/sweet potatoes or Jerusalem artichokes as a mashed potato or French fry substitute.  Rotating items, like your doctor suggested can actually be a help not only as a way to prevent more severe reactions but as it starts framing your options kwim? I tried all sorts of crazy items and some were actually winners.  I found that if I steamed the milk substitute using my old espresso maker, I could get a pretty creamy substance for making sauces.  

Please remember to be kind to yourself and remember this is not necessarily a forever thing.  My very allergic son, got past his allergies with an elimination diet.  I wish you the same success.

I have a lengthy list of food allergens and have worked for the last 10 years or so on a "rotation" basis.  I keep rice, for example, to no more than one serving every three days, and at that level I don't react to it.  My doctor's advice at the time of testing (skin tests, followed by blood work and then elimination diets), was that for some of the more minor reactions, including rice, pork, beef and tomatoes, it probably wasn't an allergy (or at least a bad one), it was just that my system was on such high alert with all of the allergens it was exposed to that it was "overreacting" to these smaler triggers.  Over the time I've been doing this corn has moved into the "react so badly it's not worth it" as have legumes, but I don't have any trouble with rice these days unless I've really over done the other allergens. 

We're beginning the process of getting our 6 year old on allergy drops. We've started the drops for environmental allergies, but since she's so sensitive the Dr wants to wait on the food ones until she's adjusted to the other. But we did get the food test results. :(

She's had food allergies since she was born pretty much. So avoiding the things she's allergic to isn't new. But there are some new ones on the list and I have no idea what to feed her. We already knew about dairy, bananas, strawberries, peanuts/tree nuts, eggs and wheat. But now she's "moderately positive" (level 2 and 3) to potatoes, tomatoes, rice, and corn.

So, there goes breakfast cereal, her rice milk, bread of any kind, tortillas, pasta/pizza sauce.... I could go on for a while.

Help.

I'm waiting on a reply for the allergist - despite the numbers, he said we could rotate rice, potato, quinoa, and amaranth "on a once in four day basis" and I'm not exactly sure what he mmeans or why it would be okay.

And, the girl eats potatoes all the time, same with corn (tortillas and pasta) and rice. She's never reacted to any of them. So it's a tad frustrating to have to eliminate them, especially since her diet is already so restricted...

I need meal ideas! Thanks in advance!

Our ped and allergist both suggested the every 3-4 days for some of dd's allergies.  It can be very frustrating!!

Is coconut included in the tree nuts?  If not, then coconut milk and yogurt and ice cream

What about oats?  Does she have any crossover to oats?  barley?  millet? 

breakfast ideas:

chicken

tofu scramble

fruit

lunch and dinner:

meat of some variety (we grill chicken and have that on hand)

veggies....cooked or raw

fruit

Can she have hummus?  Hummus and veggies are a favorite lunch for my allergic dd. 

What about beans?  Red beans?  Chick peas?  I like to add those to my salad for variety and added nutrition. 

Fish? 

If she can tolerate flax, then flax milk is good.  Can she do goat at all?  Dd couldn't tolerate cow's milk but coud have goat milk or sheep milk (manchego cheese)

Can you prepare crackers, breads, etc. at home that are wheat, dairy, and egg free?  I've used garbanzo bean flour to make bread for a celiac friend of ours. 

Hang in there.  Once you get a routine, it will get easier.