Menu

Supplementing AAR?

amyc78

I think we are going to do AAR-1 for kindergarten. We just finished the pre-reading level and she liked it so why rock the boat? :)

My question is, where is AAR weak and how would you supplement? Or where should I be prepared to supplement if necessary? I just hear a lot that no single reading curriculum is perfect so I want to be aware of any gaps. TIA!

Ps- we have done a little of easy peasy and BOB books, she is reading CVC words but sight words seem to be harder for her

We are half way through AAR2 right now.  We don't really do sight words.  AAR does teach a few sight words, but not many.  I just teach my dd how to sound out words phonetically, and then tell her that its a tricky word, and we pronounce it weird.  She seems to learn to automatically pronounce it the right way after a little practice with it.  I don't like the idea of her learning that it is ok to just memorize words.  The only thing I am supplementing with is actual books.  Right now, dd is reading Frog and Toad books.  With AAR 1, I would probably do some Dr. Suess. 

My only complaint with AAR, is that it is very slow on teaching phonics concepts.  I'm actually about to skip about half the remaining lessons of AAR2.  For instance, it teaches the silent E, and then blends with the silent E, and plurals with the silent E.  DD just does not need to go over all of that, so we will probably be in AAR3 by the end of summer, and that gets expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on AAR 2, and I honestly don't think it needs supplemented. It does a great job covering everything, and introducing it in a way that would benefit a child, no matter how they learn. The only thing you would want is additional readers, for additional practice.