Menu

How to remove a plantar wart from a kid's foot?

Just Kate

My almost 7 year old dd has a plantar wart on her foot. Her doctor suggested I try to remove it on my own before bringing her into the office to see him. I purchased the Clear Away remover pads, but I am having trouble keeping them on her feet. Anyone have anything that has worked in the past with a kid? Her wart is really irritating her and I want it gone before she goes back to school in the fall.

ClearAwayPlantar_med_r_tcm67-48412.png

Duct tape.  Sounds crazy, but I've tried it myself and it worked.  It doesn't fall off over night, but just keep it covered with the duct tape.  Should be easier to keep it on there because you can use a larger piece.

Okay...I've heart this before. Do I keep duct tape on it ALL the time? Even during showers/baths? Change it when it gets icky? About how long did the duct tape take?

Castor oil takes a few weeks, but there is no discomfort involved at all. It will soften both the wart and the skin around it, and at some point the wart just falls off. Castor oil is greasy, of course, so you'd want to use a bandage over it. Bedtime may be the easiest time to use it.

They have a new at home freezing thing. I've been using it on my DD. We have seen progress but it isn't completely gone. It's Dr Scholl's Freeze Away but there are probably other brands. It takes 30 seconds once a week. It says most are gone within 1 week but it can take up to 3 treatments. 

Google the duct tape method and there are complete instructions online.  My dh and ds caught a plantars wart at the YMCA and the duct tape method worked very well. We followed the instructions as closely as possible. We would try it again without doubt.

I do know a friend who says it did not work for her, but she is notoriously lax and will admit as such. So either it just didn't work for her or she didn't really follow the instructions

I used the little sticky pads on T when she had a bunch of plantar warts. They came with little band aids and she wore socks over them. It took about 10 days to work. I love the liquid and duct tape idea of Kathryn's. If we ever have them again, I'll do that.

Duct tape, banana peel, and a cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar.

It took a few months for the wart to fall out, but it was summer and I could only keep the duct tape after the day was done and we were in for the evening.  I would cut a little piece of banana peel, place it over the wart and seal with duct tape.  In the morning when the tape came off I would clean with apple cider vinegar.

DS had a problem with this, and we tried everything.  Duct tape, OTC products, you name it.  

What finally worked (if it wasn't just time) was lightly roughing it up with a pumice (you want to remove as much callous and dead skin as you can, from the top), then applying tea tree oil.  Then we used these cut to the size of the wart.  On top of that, we needed to secure it - I can't remember how we secured it!  It might have been duct tape.   :)  It worked in about a week.

No idea if it's a magic cure.  We had spent so much time on other "fixes" that it may just have been time for it to go away on it's own.  

When it did come out, it left a small hole, with pink skin underneath.

Good luck!

ETA: He kept these on all day, and we redid the whole process every evening.

You can also use an aspirin, it's the same ingredient in the OTC wart meds. Wet the aspirin and stick it on the wart and cover with duct tape or a bandaid. If it's too big you can make a little paste with the aspirin and put it on then cover it. 

You want to keep the duct tape on as much as possible, and if you can use the the little sticky round pad found in the Clear Away pack.  Put that under the duct tape.  When it comes to warts, you want to throw everything at it to get rid of them.  

One of my sons had one and the doctor said to get the liquid wart remover, apply it and cover with duct tape every night. It was a really bad one and was gone in two weeks' time.

You could also use a bandaid to keep the duct tape on too. We used it on my son after his evening shower and it was gone in two weeks. I didn't even use the duct tape everyday.

I used the little sticky pads on T when she had a bunch of plantar warts. They came with little band aids and she wore socks over them. It took about 10 days to work. I love the liquid and duct tape idea of Kathryn's. If we ever have them again, I'll do that.

So, just to make sure I am understanding...do you mean that I could use the little sticky pad wart remover and put duct tape over it? Does she need to keep it on her foot all the time or is just bedtime enough?  Since it is summer, I am having trouble keeping the little band-aids on her foot. Would duct tape stay on even with flip flops? I really want this wart GONE!!!

I haven't read all the other replies yet, but we just dealt with a wart in the fall, and tea tree oil cleared it up so quickly that I was completely shocked. Seriously, it was maybe 5-7 days. I treated a plantar wart years ago with the convention stuff and still have vivid memories of the pain and time it took. This didn't hurt my extremely pain-intolerant kid at all. 

Every night or two I'd use a q-tip to apply a drop or two directly on the wart, and then we'd cover it with fresh band-aids. Within a few days, the change was apparent, and within a week it was gone. 

We've had amazing results with Grapefruit Seed Extract.  It is an inexpensive oil that you can buy at Whole Foods.  A natural anti-viral, we also mix it in orange juice and take at the first sign of a cold.  Cuts the cold down to 3-4 day instead of 10.  It has killed warts in 1-2 weeks with just a few applications.  

One further suggestion.

Do not use a pumice to slough off the dead skin. When you re-use the same pumice stone, you risk re-infection. Rather, get some cheap, disposable emery boards. Snap in half. Use to rough up the skin and slough off as much as possible, then discard after one use. Apply whatever you're going to apply (see suggestions throughout thread),

Here's what's worked for us in the past:

Soak the foot in apple vinegar for 5 minutes or so a day.

Soak a tiny bit of cotton in apple vinegar.

Duct tape the cotton onto the wart.

Leave on the duct tape all the time, 24/7, until the wart goes away. A couple of months perhaps.

Cons: The stinkin' duct tape will NOT stay on! I would have to constantly help my son replace the duct tape.

It did work, though, with non-stop vigilance. I had to take duct tape with me everywhere we went to constantly replace it.

Next time we had a wart, we got some Tea Tree Oil from Walmart. It's in the vitamin section and is about $5 or so.

Use a q-tip and apply the oil to the wart twice a day. Wait a couple of months. Gone. Painless and no irritating tape.

ETA: Just noticed that someone else used the Tea Tree Oil and bandaids and their wart was gone in a week. We didn't have that luck (it took 6-8 weeks), but we didn't' use bandaids either.

Oh, and the stories I could tell of how the doctors treated my son's wart. It was horrible. We spent well over $100 in copays, the insurance company spent about $1000 (which drives up all our rates) and my son was in a lot of pain from the treatments. Freezing, acid, etc. And in the end, duct tape and/or $5 or Tea Tree oil did the job. I can't tell you how angry I get at doctors.

One of my sons had one and the doctor said to get the liquid wart remover, apply it and cover with duct tape every night. It was a really bad one and was gone in two weeks' time.

we've had success with this, too, except we kept the duct tape on 24/7.  we reapplied each night with liquid wart remover.  

way easier than any other way we've tried!

ann

I tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree, banana peels, wart removers, etc (under duct tape) along with removing the dead layers of skin. None of it worked. I got some very potent oil of oregano off Amazon (this one) added a couple drops to cut up cotton rounds (for makeup) and kept it on with duct tape and it worked! Watch out though, that oil of oregano is very strong stuff! I imagine feet (even children's feet) aren't nearly as sensitive as the face (which I accidentally got straight oil on - ouch!). It could be diluted with another oil too (maybe castor as mentioned above).

Look into boosting her immune system while you go through the process too. Our doc "prescribed" duct tape and explained that what is actually happening (with applying duct tape adhesive, oils, etc) is the skin surrounding the wart is getting irritated enough to trigger the immune system which ends up attacking the wart too. 

I tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree, banana peels, wart removers, etc (under duct tape) along with removing the dead layers of skin. None of it worked. I got some very potent oil of oregano off Amazon (this one) added a couple drops to cut up cotton rounds (for makeup) and kept it on with duct tape and it worked! Watch out though, that oil of oregano is very strong stuff! I imagine feet (even children's feet) aren't nearly as sensitive as the face (which I accidentally got straight oil on - ouch!). It could be diluted with another oil too (maybe castor as mentioned above).

Look into boosting her immune system while you go through the process too. Our doc "prescribed" duct tape and explained that what is actually happening (with applying duct tape adhesive, oils, etc) is the skin surrounding the wart is getting irritated enough to trigger the immune system which ends up attacking the wart too. 

Interesting! Tips on boosting her immune system?

DS had a problem with this, and we tried everything.  Duct tape, OTC products, you name it.  

What finally worked (if it wasn't just time) was lightly roughing it up with a pumice (you want to remove as much callous and dead skin as you can, from the top), then applying tea tree oil.  Then we used these cut to the size of the wart.  On top of that, we needed to secure it - I can't remember how we secured it!  It might have been duct tape.   :)  It worked in about a week.

No idea if it's a magic cure.  We had spent so much time on other "fixes" that it may just have been time for it to go away on it's own.  

When it did come out, it left a small hole, with pink skin underneath.

Good luck!

ETA: He kept these on all day, and we redid the whole process every evening.

Yes this  was what worked for ds.  He left the pad things on 2-3 days, then removed, used pumice and washed, then reapplied the  Curad pad thing cut to size.  Dh is doing it now, as a matter of fact!   His is small so I expect it will be gone within 2 weeks.

Yes this was what worked for ds. He left the pad things on 2-3 days, then removed, used pumice and washed, then reapplied the Curad pad thing cut to size. Dh is doing it now, as a matter of fact! His is small so I expect it will be gone within 2 weeks.

You were probably the one who told us how to do it! I learned it here. :)

Thank you!!!!!

Interesting! Tips on boosting her immune system?

I would have to consult The Google. The easiest ways (which you are probably already doing) are just making sure she gets plenty of sleep, vitamins, fruits & veggies, probiotics, etc. You could also try echinacea (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off). We use Celestial Seasonings Echinacea Wellness tea. I'm not sure if it actually helps, but the kids love it.

Good luck! I'm getting ready to start this process with my son. 

Its been awhile, but this is what I remember:

1) Freeze away every night after bath, after dead skin is filed/cut away (no open wounds)

2) then put mediplast on it with a bandaid over it, works best if this is at bedtime

3) when you get the dead skin, use a piece of emery board to file away, then toss, be careful to not contaminate anything!

rinse, repeat for a few weeks, keep checking that there are no new spots, if so, keep the above going

I would have to consult The Google. The easiest ways (which you are probably already doing) are just making sure she gets plenty of sleep, vitamins, fruits & veggies, probiotics, etc. You could also try echinacea (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off). We use Celestial Seasonings Echinacea Wellness tea. I'm not sure if it actually helps, but the kids love it.

Good luck! I'm getting ready to start this process with my son.

Lots of Vitamin C and Zinc! Don't skip the zinc. Yogurt or probiotics couldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the tips! I'm a bit embarrassed to say my kids take no vitamins. My Ds is so difficult about this sort of thing that after fighting with him for years over it, I just gave up. Do you keep you kids on zinc all the time or just times like this? Extra vitamin c? Or just what comes in a regular multi vitamin? Any specific brands?

I do push fruits, veggies, and sleep. I would like to start with some vitamins.

Potassium rich foods at least bananas and potatoes. I've used black walnut tincture (in an alcohol base) on dc's plantar warts. We would drip it on or rub it on with a q tip or cotton ball, put a bandage on it, or tape, doing this 2-3 times a day. The wart(s) get smaller and you can start to see the roots pulling away from the skin. Eventually, a two weeks to a month, you can pull it off/out.

Duct tape with thuja ointment under it. Thuja is available from health food shops. Change every day or two. Rough up the wart with a nail file or similar each time the tape is off, to help the next batch penetrate further. Should take between one week and four weeks to get rid of it.

I had them as a kid a few times and never had one removed by a doctor.  My mom had me take a rough scrub brush and scrub my foot.  It took a while and did leave a big pit when it was gone, but it did work.  I like the duct tape idea!  I just wouldn't panic and have it removed immediately without trying some other things unless you had it spread.  Mine never did - I always got one at a time.

Thanks for the tips! I'm a bit embarrassed to say my kids take no vitamins. My Ds is so difficult about this sort of thing that after fighting with him for years over it, I just gave up. Do you keep you kids on zinc all the time or just times like this? Extra vitamin c? Or just what comes in a regular multi vitamin? Any specific brands?

I do push fruits, veggies, and sleep. I would like to start with some vitamins.

My kids never took vitamins on  a reg. basis. They ate pretty healthy.  They are teens now, and take C and zinc at the first signs of any illness, and for the duration.  Google foods high in zinc, and find a good multi-vitamin.  hth

• 2 months later...

You ladies are always so timely!!  I think we may have our first wart...I don't know.   DD has a small hard bump on the side of her toe.  How do I know if it is a wart?  Also, what is the danger - do they spread easily?  You all seem to have a lot of experience!!  Luckily DH is in the US right now - I will order him up some duct tape, tea tree oil and wart remover pads for him to bring home next week!

I had quite a few when I was a young teen.

you can wrap the foot with gauze or whatever to keep the pad on her foot.  change it regularly - and scrape off the dead stuff every time you change the dressing. (or duct tape, or whatever you choose to use.)

warts are caused by a virus - which the body tends to ignore because it is so localized.  the salicylic acid actually just really irritates the skin so the body will do something about it.

You can also purchase OTC liquid nitrogen to freeze them.  hurts like the dickens -but it works.  most only require one treatment - some require two.  very very few require more.

My ds had 3 warts in one area for the longest time.  One day he picked at one and made it bleed, so I applied a bandaid with "boo boo blend" on it.  (BBB is fractionated coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil in it).  He left it on that night and I thought no more about it.  About 5 days later, the warts were gone (no re-application!)...I couldn't believe it!  All that to say, the tea tree oil works!

You ladies are always so timely!!  I think we may have our first wart...I don't know.   DD has a small hard bump on the side of her toe.  How do I know if it is a wart?  Also, what is the danger - do they spread easily?  You all seem to have a lot of experience!!  Luckily DH is in the US right now - I will order him up some duct tape, tea tree oil and wart remover pads for him to bring home next week!

YES, they caused by a virus, and are *very* contagious.  they do require open skin - but bare feet are a breeding ground.

until you have the wart remover pads - keep a bandaid on it.  keep it clean and covered to reduce secondary infections.