Menu

Saxon Intermediate 3

mhaddon

I'm wanting to transition my children to Saxon at some point, so I was thinking of doing it now. My oldest has dyslexia so math has been a struggle for us up to this year. He is 9 and I pushed him back last year to just work on his addition/sub facts (which helped sooo much!) He worked on math, time, shapes, etc. as well, but that solid math fact base really gave him a boost in other areas! My younger son played a lot of the games and is more mental math and catches on fast. My oldester completed CLE 1 last year and the other one did Horizions 1 (I used different math because the color didn't do well with my oldest and my youngest gets math no mater what and the horizions was bought new at a book sale). So I am thinking of putting them both in Saxon intermediate 3 next year. I am not so concerned with grade levels as getting it and I know that my oldest will not graduate at 18 because of his dyslexia and some set backs (isn't that the best part of homeschool? :) ) So... what exactly do I need to order? I'm hoping that having them together we can have some great math discussions. They love working on math facts together so I know being in the same book will not be a problem- they are 17 months apart and very close and love doing every other subject together.

How much writing is entailed? He does fine with copywork, as long as the colors aren't visually distracting. And yes I do want to switch to Saxon earlier than later.

I have no advice for you particular situation whether or not Saxon is a good fit for you. As for what to buy, when we used intermediate 3 this year we only used the text book, the test book, and written practice book. The written practice book are all of the practice problems from the textbook written on consumable worksheets. The practice book isn't required but it is great for kids who don't want to copy the problems over to a new page. I think it simplified math for us. The power up book isn't required but it may be useful to you. We didn't use it, we just did the power ups orally from the textbook.

I know they also have an adaptions workbook that is designed for children with learning disabilities. I know nothing about the book but you may be interested in looking into it.  http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=017959

Good luck!

There is no color in Saxon.  The Saxon Intermediate is a gentle transition for those who need an extra year before 5/4.  It is more similar in style to the upper math books so it will give you the best sense of what to expect.  Saxon 3 is Teacher-led and scripted.  It is written by a different author.  All of the worksheets are pre-printed so there is no copying.  There are lots of manipulatives and it goes over addition, subtraction, multiplication and division incrementally with the first part being review.  There are also fact sheets with 20 or 100 addition facts.  These can be overwhelming for my child sometimes.  I think the fact practice is integrated into the power-up of Intermediate 3.  There is not too much difference in the math concepts between the two, just the way it is presented.  If your youngest is ready for this level and no longer needs manipulatives, I think you could put them both in Intermediate 3.  Maybe get the practice workbook so there isn't so much copying.  There is a lot of review.  It starts out with addition, so I think you'll be fine.  You can always go at your own pace.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I just ordered the set and will look through before ordering more. In 4/5 do they have to copy all the problems down?  They no longer need manipulatives so we are good. Very solid in add/sub we made sure of that. 

Yes we are doing power up too, I think it helps with confidence for my son :)  I am putting both boys in it after looking through it as soon as we finish up our last few lesons from "last year"  I also ordered the book so he will not have to write out the problems. I feel like we've made him complete the basics of add/sub so much that really I am not going to have to adapt anything for him thankfully!! :) I think we will fly through the first half of the year and maybe make it to 4/5 this year too!! I'm excited because I thought he was behind more than he really is. (shows I worry too much!)