Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlmiraGulch

I hate Dr. Phil.

One of our daughters works at a natural foods type store. People, usually women, will come in wanting the latest thing Dr. Oz recommended. Once it was bananas!! They couldn't understand why they kept running out of bananas until they realized that Dr. Oz had recommended them. Apparently no one knew they were good for you before that. Dd also tells about people coming into the store asking for "something". "So you don't know the name of it. What does it do?" "I don't really know, but Dr. Oz recommended it."

When Dr. Sanjay Gupta was embedded with a medical unit in Iraq, he performed surgery on soldiers. I like him. He is seen around town sometimes.

I cannot stand Dr. Laura. I think she is a hateful person. She scares me.

Judge Judy lives near DH's ex-boss.  Apparently, he sees her walking her dogs or pushing them in one of those dog strollers.  We only visited his house a few times, but I totally wanted to go for a walk and try and run into her.

Re: Oprah, I like a lot of things she does, but I think her wealth has basically insulated her from reality (as it would to most billionaires.)  Yes, she has her school in S. Africa, but she doesn't seem to get that $100 t-shirts are beyond what most people can afford.  I want to hope that she was hawking them just so she could give them away, but I'm not 100% sure that she understands that they are out of reach for most people.

I've enjoyed her Super Soul Sunday show.  She's brought some people on whom I would not have known about without her.

DH is a physician.  Even he bought a bottle of green coffee bean extract after reading something.  I laughed at him.  It didn't work.  Luckily, he only wasted $18 at Sam's Club.

A family member stopped me at church to let me know that my dd didn't have arthritis, she was just depressed. They knew this because of watching Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz.

:huh:

No way! I had no idea they were so dopey! My mom has this huge "medical" book that goes into great detail on how arthritis is caused by depression and MS is caused by bitterness and anger. Oh, and you should see the section on cancer! I mean, really, if people would just *get. with. the. program.* we could cure anything and everything with a few counseling sessions and maybe some hypnotherapy.

The only connection I feel with Oprah is that I have shopped in the Kroger where she used to sneak macadamia nuts. That was when she was quite poor, of course.

Dr. Oz performed life saving surgery on my uncle before he became a tv celebrity.  He is a fantastic surgeon.

I've heard he was an excellent cardiac surgeon (I say was because I don't think he's still practicing in that capacity). Even James Randi says he'd trust his heart to Dr. Oz. :)

Yes, I know Dr. Oz is a real physician, surgeon, and affiliated with Columbia.  He has a great CV.  There was a good article on him in "The New Yorker" awhile back.  I remember this, and felt really bad for him:

"“The only question my father ever asked me was: Did anyone do better than you?†Oz said, with a wistful smile. “If I came home, proud and excited, with a ninety-seven on an exam, he would ask if somebody got a higher grade. And if George or Tom got a ninety-eight then I might as well have failed. When I made all-state football, which was a big deal for me, he didn’t ask me what it was or comment on it. He thought sports were a distraction. When his friends congratulated him at work the next day, he didn’t know what they were talking about.â€"

That's so very sad. 

I'm with you, Sadie. Oprah makes some mistakes and I don't love everything she's done, but books. She got more people to like books. And I think she's mostly pretty sincere.

The rest of them are horrible... Well, I'm with the idea that Judge Judy is mostly funny.

Even before I began reading the replies, my first thought was, "At least Phil is a step up from Oprah."  Yuck to both.

ETA: And while I've read a few "Oprah" books, I take great pains to avoid anything with her endorsement. 

I don't even know who he is.

And too lazy to google him.

But since you guys don't like him,

it might make you feel happy that

some people don't know who he is.

I'll google fun stuff...like kitten heel...

Dr Oz was reamed by Congress recently, that was nice.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/dr-oz-scolded-hearing-weight-loss-scams-24177834

Is this the whole story? Is there more?

This reads less like a reaming and more like "endorse certain brands of supplements, so other companies can't sucker people based on your vague recommendations".

I can't stand Dr. Oz either.

The first episode of his show that I ever saw was the one where he tried to make Gary Taubes look like a fool, but succeeded only in making himself look like a fool. It was also the last episode I ever saw.

He's a quack and a charlatan. It amazes me how many people actually quote him as if he's some sort of reliable source.

I remember watching his show some waaaaay back in the day, like when it first started. He had multiple episodes about this family in crisis that he was "counseling", a family in which one of their two teenage daughters was pregnant, the dad had had an affair with another woman - does anyone remember that? Anyway, I lost all respect for Dr. Phil with the way he handled that. There was an episode where he built up this HUGE drama about this terrible, dark secret that the dad had been keeping from the family. I mean, he made it super melodramatic, said he had evidence that he had been lying to his wife and daughters again, had everyone in the audience (which included the family) in a tizzy about it. And you know what the "big secret" was? It was that the dad had run into the woman that he'd had affair with at the gas station - yes, they were both there buying gasoline at the same time! GASP! But he had built it up as if they'd had another liaison, or had been sending love letters to each other or something. Dr, Phil put that family through unnecessary hell just to make the show more dramatic. I lost all respect for him then.

I didn't even know that he is still on the air. That's too bad.

And he is hot.

Ooop......did I type that?

:lol: Well if you didn't, I was going to. 

As for Oprah, she got on my "I no longer care about you" list when I was flipping across her show one day. The guest was talking about most stressful jobs for women and SAHM was near the top. Oprah's expression was one of near disgust and disbelief, like she couldn't fathom what in the world SAHMs would be stressed about. Her initial comments matched her expression. I have no clue what she's said or done since then because she's not on my radar. 

The only time I watched Dr. Phil is when I was flipping and stopped because I recognized the guest as someone I went to high school with and that one of my friends had dated for an extended period. That was interesting. 

The only time I watched Dr. Phil is when I was flipping and stopped because I recognized the guest as someone I went to high school with and that one of my friends had dated for an extended period. That was interesting.

Whoa! Hold the phone! Someone you knew was on Dr. Phil???

This is exciting stuff!

Was he a pervert?

Did he beat his wife?

Were his kids homicidal sociopaths?

Did he have six wives plus four girlfriends and a boyfriend named Skippy?

If not, what was he doing on Dr Phil? ;)

Whoa! Hold the phone! Someone you knew was on Dr. Phil???

This is exciting stuff!

Was he a pervert?

Did he beat his wife?

Were his kids homicidal sociopaths?

Did he have six wives plus four girlfriends and a boyfriend named Skippy?

If not, what was he doing on Dr Phil? ;)

No, it was a parenting issue, fairly benign for some of the things I've heard about Dr. Phil guests. 

I remember watching his show some waaaaay back in the day, like when it first started. He had multiple episodes about this family in crisis that he was "counseling", a family in which one of their two teenage daughters was pregnant, the dad had had an affair with another woman - does anyone remember that? Anyway, I lost all respect for Dr. Phil with the way he handled that. There was an episode where he built up this HUGE drama about this terrible, dark secret that the dad had been keeping from the family. I mean, he made it super melodramatic, said he had evidence that he had been lying to his wife and daughters again, had everyone in the audience (which included the family) in a tizzy about it. And you know what the "big secret" was? It was that the dad had run into the woman that he'd had affair with at the gas station - yes, they were both there buying gasoline at the same time! GASP! But he had built it up as if they'd had another liaison, or had been sending love letters to each other or something. Dr, Phil put that family through unnecessary hell just to make the show more dramatic. I lost all respect for him then.

I didn't even know that he is still on the air. That's too bad.

I remember them! Then Phil tried to recreate that glory with a new family but they just weren't scandalous enough, so he brought back the originals for unending humiliation. Last I saw, neither daughter was doing especially well. Thanks for all the help, Dr. Phil.

I admire Oprah's financial generosity, but she doesn't strike me as the sort of person I'd want to have dinner with. That's ok..I'm pretty sure she wouldn't particularly enjoy spending an hour with me, either (being a dull SAHM and all).

The best thing about Dr. Laura is the parody character Christine Baranski played on Frasier. Comedy gold.

ok, I confess Dr. Phil is on my TIvo.  I went probably 10 years without watching one episode, and then I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago.  

I don't like him or listen to what he says.  Although, "How is that working for you?" has practical real-world applications.  I think he scratches that itch that causes people to watch soaps, or my husband to watch wrestling.  

Not all episodes have this, but I think it is the cathartic moment that I like.  People that have gone astray realize the error of their ways and decide to do better.  Then Dr. Phil offers to pay for the medical help that they need.  Very satisfying.  

But, I won't tell people this in real life. 

I remember watching a Dr. Phil once, when I was home with a new baby and a 2 yo.  There was a couple on, with a 6 mo baby, SAHM.  Hubby was complaining that he was not getting any love or attention since baby arrived and was about to give up hope.  Dr. Phil's stern advice to the mom - well, someone needs to clean that house !  And you have to decide to make your romantic life a priority !  Blah - blah - more male-centric stupidity - blah.  No concern or regard for what mom's new life is like, or how depleted or alone she may be feeling.  What an arse.  I never watched him again. 

When I was in university in the early 90's I liked Oprah etc. They were new in NZ at the time and it is the only time in my life I have watched early afternoon TV. I think I may have watched Dr Phil at the time too. We tended to think most of it was staged but I think the saying "only in America" may have come in to being about then too.

Dr Oz and Dr Laura i have never heard of. As a general.practice i think people who can operate on other people should do that not waste their expensive education being on TV.

Need more encouragement ?

I read Oprah's magazine sometimes. And I defend her in arguments with my spouse. Yes, we argue about Oprah.

I think Oprah is magnificent for putting BOOKS! front and centre - I love anyone who encourages us to read BOOKS!

Dh thinks Oprah has very pedestrian tastes in books.

You might need another bottle now.

I agree with your dh. Not to mention her damn book club is the bane of all public librarians...

Her magazine covers are the essence of narcissism for me.

Her magazine cover are the essence of narcissism for me.

:iagree:

The last time I saw one of her magazine covers, I thought Oprah looked fabulous. She had lost a lot of weight, as she appeared to be at most a size 6, and her face looked about 25 years old.

Then I saw Oprah when I was flipping past her TV network, and let's just say she looked nothing like the 25 year old size 6 woman on her magazine cover. :rolleyes:

I guess it pays to own your own magazine. You can hire employees who are wizards with Photoshop. ;)

As for Oprah, she got on my "I no longer care about you" list when I was flipping across her show one day. The guest was talking about most stressful jobs for women and SAHM was near the top. Oprah's expression was one of near disgust and disbelief, like she couldn't fathom what in the world SAHMs would be stressed about. Her initial comments matched her expression.

Hmm. Weird. I know I've heard her say that being a mom is the hardest job.

Of course, since she isn't a mom herself, she could have just been saying that to pander to her audience demographic. Not that she would ever do that.

Hey, I like watching some shows of Dr. Phil.  I'm not a drop everything and watch person, but some of the stories are interesting.  Not much of a Dr. Oz fan, because everything on there seems to be the "new" cure all.  He has very much the Oprah mystique: if he recommends it, it sells out. 

On a lighter note, Oprah has taken some of the joy out of my Starbucks experience with her new "restore your soul with a cup of my tea" campaign. 

Of course, since she isn't a mom herself, she could have just been saying that to pander to her audience demographic. Not that she would ever do that.

Same here. It has been years since I've really watched Oprah, but I seem to remember her talking many times about how motherhood should be highly respected. There are many things I don't like about her, but I've always liked her for that.

You think Oprah is arrogant? I never saw her that way.

Yes.

Exhibit A...

I mean, seriously? I liked her, and it didn't even bother me so much when she got really rich and liked nice expensive things. LOL But to start a magazine and then put yourself on every single cover month after month, year after year? That is pretty arrogant.

On a lighter note, Oprah has taken some of the joy out of my Starbucks experience with her new "restore your soul with a cup of my tea" campaign.

Exactly. Narcissism, take 2.

Oh!  I remember!

Dr. Sanjay Gupta.  He has a fantastic reputation as a neurosurgeon, and even though he works for CNN he still carries a full case load.  It's not exactly the same, but he's technically still a TV doctor but has not lost one bit of credibility in my eyes because of it.  

He is hot!  I don't know many women who don't have the hots for Sanjay.  What is it????

I agree with your dh. Not to mention her damn book club is the bane of all public librarians...

They are pedestrian....but not many people use their fame to promote reading...so I say, good for her :)

I have really mixed feelings on Oprah. I used to like her a lot. And then I felt like she was just saying whatever to fit in with the guest on the show. Like one episode is really conservative and then another episode she's interviewing someone about something sexual and it was just awkward for me to wrap my brain around. I am not saying people can't have multiple sides... one more reserved and one more open. But as I watched something didn't sit well with me. I live in one of the poorest areas, close to where Oprah is from. When we first moved here we found this sign in front of some old home of hers. As far as tourist attractions go that was pretty weak lol. I don't know what I expected, though! And she did open a Boys & Girls club around here but I have never personally been inside or heard anyone talk about it. I guess I feel like with as much money as she has she would have done more here. I know, it sounds kind of greedy to say. But seriously, there is so much poverty here.

There are some amazing statistics, which I am too lazy to look up, on the amount extremely wealthy people would need to give away in order to make a substantial difference to world poverty - and the amount is very do-able. So yeah, she - along with all the other super-rich out there - J.K. Rowling excepted 'cos she's awesome at giving her cash away - could probably do a lot more.

That makes me feel a little better that it's doable. But I do feel a tad guilty for making assumptions about her spending when obviously I can't possibly know everything she's put money towards. I think I'm a bit biased because I took ds to the park across the street from the B&G club and the park sucked. I wish she had put some money into that LOL I am told there are some splash pads there somewhere but I think it was the wrong time of year to use them.

Don't have really strong opinions on the others. I don't watch shows like Judge Judy. I have seen parts of Dr. Oz episodes but they were having a woman point to fake poop to describe her bowel movements and I thought that was just awkward on national TV. If you can't tell by now, I don't like awkward TV moments LOL I just watched Extreme Weight Loss and I cannot believe they make each person remove their shirt in front of everyone when they don't seem prepared.

I haven't really watched Oprah much, but I kind of like how she has herself on all her magazine covers. They're photoshopped, yes, but what magazine cover isn't? Especially when there's a woman on it? I recently saw a video of a little girl getting very excited because she saw an Oprah magazine and felt pretty with her big hair, when most of the magazines have white women on them with flat or wavy or whatever hair. So representation like that is definitely needed. Then again, I don't know much about Oprah, and there are certainly plenty of women besides her that could be represented. 

My dd loves to watch Dr. PHIL. She finds it entertaining. I watched a show with her recently, so we could bond over crazy people.

Long ago, I used to listen to Dr. laura every day. After a while, I realized that listening to her show brought out a condescending and judgmental side of me. (I fully own that those attributes were already there; it just nurtured a pride-fullness when I listened to her make snap judgement of people for a few hours every day.) I stopped listening to her and am glad for it.

He's a quack and a charlatan.

He is being paid to entertain. You don't have the right to assassinate his character in public, but you do have the right to not watch the show.

He is being paid to entertain. You don't have the right to assassinate his character in public, but you do have the right to not watch the show.

Of course I have the right to say whatever I want about his character.  He is a public figure, and I maintain that he is, in fact, a quack and a charlatan.

Of course I have the right to say whatever I want about his character. He is a public figure, and I maintain that he is, in fact, a quack and a charlatan.

Yes. I find it very telling that every mental health professional I've worked with has had a extremely low opinion of dr. Phil and his "help".

Dr. Oz is a dam* good surgeon.

Thanks to his *quackery* I was able to get rid of my lower back pain without side effects and finally sleep through the night. We are always learning new things about medicine and what Oz attempts to do is bring forth new ideas, new ways to treat problems and question accepted treatments that are not very effective. Some of his ideas are wacky but others are backed by science.

​My husband has testified before Congress several times. Part of his job for the past few decades has been to supply accurate statistics. Many of the politicians that he has worked with do not even bother to understand the main issues or, worse, the long-term implications of their votes. With the exception of a minority, they don't care about the vulnerable. Their votes are largely bought and sold. My bet is that a particular group is behind the politicians who did the grilling.

ETA: I believe Dr. Oz still performs surgery once a week.

Same here. It has been years since I've really watched Oprah, but I seem to remember her talking many times about how motherhood should be highly respected. There are many things I don't like about her, but I've always liked her for that.

Well the story was about stress level in jobs, not respect. She could have changed her position or being having an off moment, but it turned me off. 

Dr. Laura has phi. from Colombia in phisiology and a phd from  USC? Or another school in California in family counselling.  you might not agree with her opinions but she is an educated nutjob.  I like her, but haven't listened in years. 😊

Dr Oz has been a  professor of surgery at Columbia University and Dr Phil is a psychologist. Dr Laura is just a nutjob  hack.

I might not like any of them but at least Dr Oz and Dr Phil have real qualifications.

I have a terrible reputation for being a Dr. Phill follower in my family. It's not actually true, but what happened is that I borrowed a Dr. Phil diet book from my mil's house. I don't know why she had it, but I wanted to lose a few pounds so I thought what the heck might as well try. My mother saw the book at my house and was saying "why would you follow his diet, he looks like he should lose weight himself." It gets worse for me though. I was seeing a therapist to help with post partum stress. My mom and mil were very annoying after my twins were born and it drove me to therapy. My mom especially because she was very critical of dh and would even give him dirty looks. The therapist said Dr. Phil deals a lot with inlaw issues on his show. Low and behold Dr. Phil said, "You can't allow your children to be exposed to the character assassination of one of the parents." I told my mom about this in the context of her badmouthing my dh. Now everytime Dr. Phil does something unethical or questionable I have to hear about "my hero" Dr. Phill...

I have a terrible reputation for being a Dr. Phill follower in my family. It's not actually true, but what happened is that I borrowed a Dr. Phil diet book from my mil's house. I don't know why she had it, but I wanted to lose a few pounds so I thought what the heck might as well try. My mother saw the book at my house and was saying "why would you follow his diet, he looks like he should lose weight himself." It gets worse for me though. I was seeing a therapist to help with post partum stress. My mom and mil were very annoying after my twins were born and it drove me to therapy. My mom especially because she was very critical of dh and would even give him dirty looks. The therapist said Dr. Phil deals a lot with inlaw issues on his show. Low and behold Dr. Phil said, "You can't allow your children to be exposed to the character assassination of one of the parents." I told my mom about this in the context of her badmouthing my dh. Now everytime Dr. Phil does something unethical or questionable I have to hear about "my hero" Dr. Phill...

That's the thing. Some of Dr. Phil's advice has been pretty sensible, if obvious. Hard to argue with asking yourself, "How's that working for ya?" But it's like collecting frog knickknacks. If you have one frog figurine, everybody decides you Love Frogs! and must want frog-decorated stuff for every gift. If you mention one positive thing about Dr. Phil (or Laura or Oz or Whomever), you become The One Who Loves Dr. Phil!

Which is why I don't often admit that I first heard about homeschooling from Dr. Laura. 

Dr. Oz is a dam* good surgeon.

Thanks to his *quackery* I was able to get rid of my lower back pain without side effects and finally sleep through the night. We are always learning new things about medicine and what Oz attempts to do is bring forth new ideas, new ways to treat problems and question accepted treatments that are not very effective. Some of his ideas are wacky but others are backed by science.

​My husband has testified before Congress several times. Part of his job for the past few decades has been to supply accurate statistics. Many of the politicians that he has worked with do not even bother to understand the main issues or, worse, the long-term implications of their votes. With the exception of a minority, they don't care about the vulnerable. Their votes are largely bought and sold. My bet is that a particular group is behind the politicians who did the grilling.

ETA: I believe Dr. Oz still performs surgery once a week.

I agree with you about Congress.

However, when you say "some of his ideas are wacky but others are backed by science" - that is the problem.

He has positioned himself as an authority on personal health care (deliberately).  Then he promotes some products and methods that are absolutely 100% nonsense, others that might or might not be nonsense, and others that work.

Because of the ones that work (and because of the ones that are backed by science), people believe it all  He encourages this trust, that is why people watch his show.

If you're going to encourage that level of trust (and make money off of people's trust), you have, imo, an obligation to not promote wacky ideas.

I don't hate every single thing Dr. Phil says.  

I hate that he delivers everything in sound bites. I hate that he spends more time pushing his books and his apps and his wife and her foundation and apps than he does giving actual advice.  

"How's that working for ya?"  

"I'm gonna put some verbs in my sentences...."

"You need to buy this book produced by my son Jay...."

"You need meet my wife Robin and she's gonna be your shoulder to cry on..."

Because here's my confession.  I have the show on a lot, so I hear this stuff all the time.  It's not that I actively turn on the TV to listen to him, but I do like to watch Ellen in the afternoon, and his show comes on right after hers.  I work from home, so if I can afford the background noise I'll turn on Ellen while I finish up some work, then Dr. Phil comes on because I haven't turned it off, and that's how I know what he does.  And he has gotten progressively worse as the years have passed.  

I don't hate every single thing Dr. Phil says.  

I hate that he delivers everything in sound bites. I hate that he spends more time pushing his books and his apps and his wife and her foundation and apps than he does giving actual advice.  

"How's that working for ya?"  

"I'm gonna put some verbs in my sentences...."

"You need to buy this book produced by my son Jay...."

"You need meet my wife Robin and she's gonna be your shoulder to cry on..."

Because here's my confession.  I have the show on a lot, so I hear this stuff all the time.  It's not that I actively turn on the TV to listen to him, but I do like to watch Ellen in the afternoon, and his show comes on right after hers.  I work from home, so if I can afford the background noise I'll turn on Ellen while I finish up some work, then Dr. Phil comes on because I haven't turned it off, and that's how I know what he does.  And he has gotten progressively worse as the years have passed.

I agree about the soundbites. Although I do enjoy "How's that working for ya?" Honestly, I really can't stand Dr. Phil. I wonder if he might be a good therapist in real life but the show means simplifying things and adding shock value. And the wife being a shoulder to cry on makes me feel bad about myself for harboring such negative feelings about someone with such a "big heart ".

I just googled this Gupta character.

Not hot.

You know, the more I think about it, he's not incredibly physically hot (he's not bad to look at though), but I think it's more a combination of that and his personality on TV.   He seems so nice and genuine, and doesn't seem to care about being entertaining.  He just wants to get good advice out.

His smile is nice. He has incredible charisma. I saw picture of him shirtless from a magazine once and THAT was something to look at.

Plus, he's super smart, and sounds it, which is always attractive to me.

I like him like this:

This. Yes.

I agree with you about Congress.

However, when you say "some of his ideas are wacky but others are backed by science" - that is the problem.

He has positioned himself as an authority on personal health care (deliberately).  Then he promotes some products and methods that are absolutely 100% nonsense, others that might or might not be nonsense, and others that work.

Because of the ones that work (and because of the ones that are backed by science), people believe it all  He encourages this trust, that is why people watch his show.

If you're going to encourage that level of trust (and make money off of people's trust), you have, imo, an obligation to not promote wacky ideas.

Disclaimer: I have not watched all of Dr. Oz's shows. However, which products and methods of his are 100% nonsense and how do you know they are? The only episode I saw that was wacky to me was the one about angels, but who knows? All you'd need is one case where his product or method works. I can vouch for his suggestion to try a PEMF device for pain. It did the trick for my back and my husband's knee pain. My guess is that many people in the U.S. would not give it a try because it's unusual, but it has been used elsewhere in the world for decades, almost 100 years. Personally, I like having a lot of options to consider even if they are wacky.