Menu

Using History Odyssey and SotW together

elliotterae

Last year, my first year of teaching from home. I had a 2nd grader and 5th grader doing SotW level 1 together. We enjoyed it, learned a lot and overall it was a success I would say, This year, as we do Middle Ages though, I am thinking that I really need to push my older student a little more. I have purchased SotW 2 and the activity guide for my younger child. I am sure that as we work on it DD11 will want to set in, color some pictures and do some of the activites, but I think she also needs to more.

Looking through the sample of History Odyssey, I really like the way it is set up. (Read this, do this map, outline this, explain these words). I love that it looks like it could be pretty independent. Now, I know I could make the SotW work for her by assigning the same stuff, but I would spend a lot more time making those assignments and lose some time from helping the younger one.

My question is, how difficult would it be to get the History Odyssey to match up with the SotW. Ideally, even though they would be working on two different lesson plans, I would like for them to hit at least the major literature at around the same time. Reading things like Beowulf and Sir Gawain together and spending a little extra time researching some of the main people and events together. We check out a lot of library books on each chapter and it would be so much easier to continue just getting several of different levels on one topic and letting them pick from that pile. I worry that if I need to get books about Charlemagne for DD11 and others about the Dynasties of China at the same time, they both will suffer. It wouldnt have to match up exact, just within around the same month even. 

Would you try to alter the order of them to make them match up, or just try to make extra work for the older child?

Here is a thread where someone's schedule was posted that they used to line up HO2 with SOTW2. One thing I want to caution you on for History Odyssey is NOT to make your 5th grader do every single thing from every lesson. It is TOO MUCH work and will lead to burn out. I'd suggest having you or her pick certain things to do -- or just to start a lesson and work however long on it (set time) and then moving on. 

Good luck!

... And just in case the forum changes again & the link breaks, the thread is called "SOTW 2 lined up with History Odyssey Level 2 Middle Ages" and in another thread, Miss Moe posted a link to her blog where she linked up HO with SOTW1: http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2009/11/sotw-and-history-odyssey-level-2.html [This is so that people in the future can find the same info without running into the problems we had trying to find the original thread!]

Ohhh, thank you that is perfect.  We will only be doing about 4 hrs of history per week, so it will be a "whatever you get done in an hour as long as I dont catch you daydreaming or purposely dawdling" type of thing. I wanted to approach science and history with a time limit and done approach but as soon as they know that they miraculously need to use the bathroom, get a drink, sharpen their pencil, go get a blanket, etc.. . I'm still trying to find a balance between not pushing enough to be a challenge and pushing to hard, so I really do appreciate the word of caution.

S'okay. Once you've been here awhile, you'll see things pop up repeatedly. Sometimes someone new sees it and has something to add that you've never seen before. That's wonderful and wouldn't happen without someone bringing up the topic again.

I'll tell you that my dd#2, dd#3, and ds#1 will all be combining for SOTW3 next year. You can tell their ages (roughly) from their years of birth - so you can compare with the ages of your kids. Anyway, they are all going to use SOTW3 -- and I'll just be adding outlining of the Kingfisher Encyclopedia to dd#2's list. The older two will do narrations (written for oldest, I will scribe for younger) as well. Ds#1 will only be listening in while coloring and won't be doing the mapwork yet. In our house, the maps don't make much sense until they are a bit older.

Just wanted to give you a simpler perspective. When we did Ancients, my dd#1 did History Odyssey Level 2 on her own while we used SOTW. I didn't try to match them up at all. There was great opportunity to "review" or "preview" topics when we discussed their learning from the day at the dinner table. Oldest would add something she learned about the topic or the youngers would give her a preview if she hadn't gotten to it yet. Sometimes, she had forgotten about it from her first time through SOTW, so I didn't feel the need to line them up.

My oldest will do HO Ancients level 2 and use K12 Human Odyssey as the main text. I did spend some time last night trying to match those two up. Not entirely easy. We'll likely mostly read from the text and dip into HO for the maps, timeline work, and literature readings. My youngest is going to try to continue with SOTW Ancients. I'm not going to try to match him up with his brother however. K12 Human Odyssey goes into much more detail than SOTW, so no way would my youngest be able to keep up. I am going to try somewhat to keep them in the same civilization. 

I do however plan on using the extra read alouds and activities in the SOTW activity guide with all of them.  Some of the extra recs are perfect for an older child, some are perfect for a young child. All my kids will help out with any projects. 

K12 HO is dense however, so I don't want to overwhelm him with too many extra activities. I do want to focus on outlining and note taking skills, maps, and timeline analysis. 

I am transitioning my older to HO and leaving my younger into SOTW 2, so basically I have the same dilemma. First of all, I realize I need to have my older work through the last section of HO 1, because that's about where the SOTW 1 stopped. I really appreciate this thread, because I am having the same issues trying to math up the two.

W-I - Someone put together an "Ancient History Mash-Up" showing the match-up of SOTW / HO Level 2 Ancients / and HO Human Odyssey in case you wanted to see how someone else put them together.

That is actually pretty nice. I'm going to print that and look closer. My rough plan last night had us not doing history odyssey every week, but instead reading from k12 and then working with some corresponding HO units in a chunk. I was aiming for one chapter of sotw a week. I'm not sure about those weeks they have several sotw chapters scheduled. My oldest won't be listening in to those really. Btdt. And it could be too much for a seven year old. Unless I ask my oldest to independent read sotw.

I gave up matching up my kids pretty early on.  DS13 is wrapping up History Odyssey 2 Early Modern; DS10 is wrapping up History Odyssey 2 Ancients right now.

I was particularly grateful for that decision this year, when DS13 got a concussion and was on total cognitive rest for six weeks.  DS10 was still motoring along, so they would have been out of sync anyway, unless I had either declared a vacation, and then had to figure out what to do to keep an active 10YO quiet enough not to harm his brother in this brutal winter while keeping my 13YO from going crazy on cognitive rest (he could really do NOTHING without getting dizzy, but that didn't mean he wasn't alert and BORED) so keeping the 10YO going with school was the better option.  

We started out doing the same history period/era just at different levels, and that had its advantages, but now they accomplish their school work at such different paces, it is better to have them working independently from one another.  They missed it at first, but honestly DS13 seems to be entering a stage where he wants a little space right now anyway.  The nice thing about HO is that the older can work on it pretty independently.  I do sit with him a couple of times a week and chat about what he is learning and reading, just to keep it alive.

W-I - Someone put together an "Ancient History Mash-Up" showing the match-up of SOTW / HO Level 2 Ancients / and HO Human Odyssey in case you wanted to see how someone else put them together.

So this was useful, but I tweaked it quite a bit. Rearranged the sotw chapters, so that they weren't quite out of order. It's one of the things that bothered me about history odyssey level 1, having sotw mixed up. I lined up the middle ages sotw with k12as well.

It's easier to rearrange history odyssey lessons to correspond to texts, rather than the other way. 

I think this was helpful thanks for posting it.