Menu

Has anyone taken their special needs child out of PS (with an IEP in place)?

We're former HS and used some of the WTM recs for the girls when we were HS. My special needs dd is in PS 3rd Grade now, but we are bringing her back home next year. I was reading about everything you're suppose to do at HSLDA when disenrolling a kid with an IEP from PS.

• Arrange for Regular Evaluations
  • Get an Educational Consultant (with experience or credentials in FASD)
  • Get private therapies
  • Document everything

Dd's case conference is coming up on Wed. next week. Hopefully there will be big changes because this past year has not gone well. Hopefully they will follow it better because I don't enjoy badgering people. I didn't dream it would be so hard to dis-enroll her.

If you dis-enrolled a kid with an IEP, did you or do you do all of this?

No, we didn't do all of that. We just quit school. We were in the umpteenth round of IEP negotiations at the time as well. We and the schools were having a major disagreement as to what services/placement were appropriate. And we realized if we spent even half as much time and energy (& $, because we were to the point of hiring a lawyer & paying for private evals to prove our case against the schools) on him ourselves as we were spending fighting with the schools that he'd not only get better services/education, but the whole family would be a lot happier. So, we decided to quit.

First we turned in our letter of intent to homeschool to pupil services without providing any more than the required information (name, age, address--that stuff). Once that was processed, we simply informed the special ed dept/IEP team that we were homeschooling now and didn't require their services any more. That was it. No one 'came after us.' I suspect they were happy to see us go. :)

We then unschooled/deschooled for several months. We did eventually acquire some outside private therapies, but only because WE wanted those therapies at that time. And we complied with the homeschool laws in our state, just as we do for our other homeschooled child (I suppose you could say that was our 'documentation). About a year or so later, we moved (military).

We've never had a problem.

Pam

<><

If you dis-enrolled a kid with an IEP, did you or do you do all of this?

A lot depends on your state. In MN an IEP is completely up to the parents. All I had to do was sign off on the IEP to end it. State law requires that homeschooling parents seek outside help if a child scores below the 35th percentile on standardized tests, but it does not specify who you consult or how much consulting you do. That was it.

However, I know that in PA homeschooling parents need to jump through extra hoops if their child has been identified as special needs.

My advice is call one of your state homeschooling organizations (you can find them by Googling homeschooling-your-state). They usually have hot lines. You can leave a message and then someone who is knowledgeable about your question will call you back. That would probably give you the most reliable information for your school district.

AMy advice is call one of your state homeschooling organizations (you can find them by Googling homeschooling-your-state). They usually have hot lines. You can leave a message and then someone who is knowledgeable about your question will call you back. That would probably give you the most reliable information for your school district.

Yes, I have all ready left a message with both of our state organizations. Thanks!