Menu

Henle First Year Latin after Latina Christiana II?

In the WTM it says a good progression after Latina Christiana II to go on to Henle I.  On Memoria Press' website they say not even to do LC II but go from LC I to First Form Latin I.  They don't have you doing Henle until around 8-9th grade.  I also see a lot of people on here doing First Form Latin.

Has anyone went on to Henle I after LC II?  How was it? 

Here is my middle grades schedule:

5th Grade - Latina Christiana II

6th & 7th Grade - Henle First Year

8th Grade - Henle Second Year

Well, I would have skipped LCII completely. 

If you want a quicker way through Latin, by all means go with Henle. It should be relatively painless to go right into Henle I. I wanted the longer, more $$ way -- so we're heading through the Forms.

I'm with Hunter in that you can absolutely go right into Henle. Henle is an "intro" program at the upper (middle) grades and you've already had intro work with LC 1 & 2. You should be fine.

LCC as a METHOD started long before the book with that title and Memoria Press. Memoria Press is making a lot of money by complicating the method under the guise of simplifying.

Do you really want to own and maintain all that stuff? Never mind having to buy it, do you want to be responsible for it?

My dd did Henle after LCI and LCII.  I think she was in about 6th grade.  Memoria Press has guides that go along with it, and since I was sorta learning Latin alongside her, we used those.  We got about halfway through the second guide, and I couldn't keep up or answer her questions.  She then did Latin I and II with our state's virtual school. 

So I think Henle is an okay option, but really, I needed a little more hand holding.  My younger kids have done Prima, LCI, First Form, and are heading into Second Form.  That's probably as far as we will get.  Latin is more foundational for us, as we use it for a bridge to modern languages.  Henle can take a student farther, faster, but that's not where we are interested in going.